share rss forum feed

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

Pluses and minuses

Pluses:

1) This is actually a price cut for most users. I have 2 iPhone users in my family plan and neither comes close to 2GB/month. One is typically a little over 200MB/month so she'll need the higher plan, the other is well under. They are both very active users and do email/Facebook/web browsing.

2) There's a soft overage charge for the first increment. So you may not have to buy a higher plan because you fear huge charges if you go over.

3) If you like your current plan keep it. You aren't being forced to change.

Minuses:

1) If you are a heavy 3G data user (lots of streaming video is the only use case I can come up with), you'll need to stay with the old unlimited plan, and you can't get iPhone tethering on the old plan.

2) iPhone tethering is apparently capped at 2GB or 3GB/month? (hard to believe... I have a Q in to Karl to clarify this)

3) If you believe caps in general are evil, you will believe this is evil.

thevorpal1

join:2007-11-16
Alexandria, VA
said by MyDogHsFleas:

Pluses:

1) This is actually a price cut for most users. I have 2 iPhone users in my family plan and neither comes close to 2GB/month. One is typically a little over 200MB/month so she'll need the higher plan, the other is well under. They are both very active users and do email/Facebook/web browsing.
I wonder if they will let you have two different data plans, or if you switch one over, they all must switch.

I'm betting whatever costs us more.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
It's a good question, but I would expect I can put each line on a different data plan, since there is no "family plan" for data. They are each independent even though they are in a family plan.