join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to dcdowden

MVM

to dcdowden

Re: Comcast rolling out SB6120 f/w 1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH

said by dcdowden:

I am looking to upgrade my cable modem from a SB4200 (now shown as EOL). The Moto SB6120 shows up on the Comcast approved list as the only Moto modem cable of D3. Would you all recommend the SB6120?
Yes, I would also recommend it.

Footnote: My post here wasn't meant to insinuate there were problems with the SB6120 or with Comcast -- it was just a surprise to see my modem reboot and pick up a F/W update that received so much scrutiny. Karl237 See Profile should really try to get to the bottom of the Charter/SB6120 fiasco, in follow-up to the original news article.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by koitsu:

Footnote: My post here wasn't meant to insinuate there were problems with the SB6120 or with Comcast -- it was just a surprise to see my modem reboot and pick up a F/W update that received so much scrutiny. Karl237 See Profile should really try to get to the bottom of the Charter/SB6120 fiasco, in follow-up to the original news article.
I thought somebody had listed a different firmware number for the Charter issue. It was actually older than 1.0.3.0.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by andyross:

I thought somebody had listed a different firmware number for the Charter issue. It was actually older than 1.0.3.0.
I just read through the thread -- you're absolutely right. Seems they rolled out 1.0.2.4 (previous version was 1.0.1.3, best I can tell) and things exploded.

Damn, here I am making a bunch of noise over nothing... Yep you're right.
dcdowden
join:2002-09-11
Naperville, IL

dcdowden

Thanks all, I ordered an SB6120 from Amazon. It is cheaper at Newegg but they are out of stock now.
Doug

Marduke
@comcast.net

Marduke

Anon

I recently upgraded from a SB4200 to a SB6120. The only problem I ran into was that the SB6120 didn't like my older Netgear Firewall/Router (FVS318). It would connect, but the performance was horrible (less than a 56k modem).

Turns out the FVS318 only has a 10M/half duplex connection on the WAN (internet) port and it doesn't sync up well with the SB6120's Gigabit port.

So, I picked up a new Netgear Wireless Firewall/Router/Switch (WNR3500) and everything is working fine now.
dcdowden
join:2002-09-11
Naperville, IL

dcdowden

I got my new SB6120 and installed it yesterday. When I first plugged my laptop directly into the modem I did not get any response from the modem, so I called Comcast to have them do the modem swap. It took over an hour to get my call answered. In the mean time, a web page came up on my computer that asked me to download some software to do the self install. After downloading the software and following the instructions I eventually got an error 701 message that said that the modem swap had failed. Nonetheless, I was able to access various web sites and even did a speedtest that reported over 20 mbps down and 4 mbps up. When the tech eventually came on, he checked my account and indeed the new MAC address had not been registered, so he took care of that. He then reset the modem just to make sure everything was working and we were off to the races. The tech recommended calling Comcast for modem swaps rather than relying on the self-install. I just wish they would answer the phone faster.
Doug