uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to TSI Martin

Re: Everything MLPPP

ok can someone please elabourate more on the wiring, a client of mine wants his house re-wired for mlmppp, from what i gather here, its very limited info on the wiring, 2 modems, 2 demark's and one router? the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into? the LAN port? that is not right?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Paolo:

the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?
Your router has to support mlppp. If you're using Tomato on a supported router then it is configured such that you will use any one of the LAN ports as your second WAN.

If you're using Linux, FreeBSD, or some other software for your router then you will have to have a physical or virtual (vlan) interface for each WAN connection.
--
db

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Paolo

Most residences will have multiple pairs to the demarc. Inside wiring typically has 2 pairs. If he wants more the 2 lines then there needs to be extra pairs installed inside. 1 Pair per modem. the "special router" can be used on any ports to plug the modems in. To use more then 2 lines, I'd suggest you uses alternative methods then a Linksys wrt54gl router (most popular way).

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )