share rss forum feed

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Integra Telecom

Do it yourself

You know everyone waits on the government or a large corporation to do things these days. I've voiced my opinion in the past, but I'll say it again. Homeowners can work together to improve their own infrastructure. Problem is the telcos own a lot of it already. Single family homes are plagued with that. The homeowners that CAN make a difference are those in MDU environments (condos, hi-rises, etc).

It took me 3 months to plan and execute an overhaul for my hi-rise. We went from 2mbps/512kbps per user (former ISP owned the infrastructure in the building) to up to 100mbps/100mbps per user (shared connection, no rate limiting). We obviously had to invest our own money, but it was money in our reserves so there was no out of pocket expense. Fact is it got done. The actual trunk size of the connection was 10mbps before (over copper) , now it's 100mbps (over fiber).

My point is that this sort of thing can be done anywhere. It takes an initiative and money. And no, we don't pay an insane amount of money for the 100mbps service. It's $40/mo per user. The building still makes a profit to recover the original investment in under 2 years. No caps, no ports blocked, no downtime, no congestion. And this is in the US.

chimera

join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

Well done, how many units are in that building since that can't be a cheap pipe from the ISP. Is it metro ether connection?

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Integra Telecom

150+ units, but only around 100 are actually subscribed.

Metro E over fiber. $30/mbps and the equipment (Cisco router + switches) is managed by an outside IT firm (for a small fee per month). Which is nice because it's monitored for any downtime/packet loss/etc.

Most of the time I can hit 80-95mbps.

chimera

join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

Very nice price, so the building is basically getting all of this for around $40 per user per month? That my friend is a wonderful deal, kudos on getting it setup.