This is a sub-selection from i dont understand

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to computerpimp

Re: i dont understand

said by computerpimp:

So true. If a bill hits the 100 page mark, at what point there after does it hit the useless point, maybe around 2000 pages.

If broadband were made a "right" in the USA how would it play out? Every citizen is required to have Internet access, and will be fined by the IRS if they can afford it but don't chose to have it, this way it will fund itself "for the common good". However if they can't afford it they will be given money by the government (subsidies, checks, briefcase full of cash) to be able to buy it. Even if you chose not to have a computer or internet connected device you will still be required to have Internet.
What the heck? We're not talking about a corporation-backed healthcare bill. Most likely it would involve a complementary plan to fund a government-built national network, open to all ISPs who wish to provide service over it.

computerpimp

join:2004-06-28

said by sonicmerlin:

What the heck? We're not talking about a corporation-backed healthcare bill. Most likely it would involve a complementary plan to fund a government-built national network, open to all ISPs who wish to provide service over it.
What I am talking about is would it look like if Internet access somehow goes from a personal choice to a "right" in the US. But some of the arguments may be the same.

Money is always one of the issues. Who will pay for it? How much will it cost? Why should I have to pay for it? How much will it raise everyone's cost? What other tax, surcharge, or fee will be tacked on for everyone? How much is saved up for it? Is it a worthwhile investment? Does 2+1 really = 7? Where did that person learn how to add? How can I get someone else to pay for it and make a profit? Why is someone who's own personal finances are garbage because they don't know how to save in charge of the big project budget?
The government is funded by people, and is not a bottomless pit of money. They throw lots of money at things if it sounds good, but don't always get the best results. Sure it's not fair. Not everyone can get broadband or even some sort of Internet connection. Not everyone has something to connect with either. Not everyone that may chose not to have this here Internet tube thingy should have to pay up.

I can speak of what I can predict and know what looks like, my budget. I don't need someone else to step in line to tell me where else I should spend my money. It's already been spoken for and planned out. What I do get to keep should not be considered everybody's surplus.