spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mario Q
@comcast.net

Mario Q

Anon

Linksys BEFCMU10 v3 - How to upgrade Docsis

Hi, I've had this linksys modem v3 for a number of years.. While uploading torrents, with Comcast, it keeps killing my connection and I need to reboot the modem. Researching this issue, I've learned about a little about this info

Downstream Power 7.1 dBmV
SNR 36.4 dB
Upstream Power 44.0 dBmV

Does it seem the Downstream Power is low? Does that mean it's just old and shot? Like I said this modem is Docsis 1.1, but I've heard you can upgrade it to 2.0, I'm just not sure how, if it's worth it, or if I should just get a new modem, is so, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Mario
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by Mario Q :

Downstream Power 7.1 dBmV
SNR 36.4 dB
Upstream Power 44.0 dBmV

Does it seem the Downstream Power is low? Does that mean it's just old and shot? Like I said this modem is Docsis 1.1, but I've heard you can upgrade it to 2.0,
Downstream power is set by the isp to get snr over 30db.
upgrade would be new firmware.
You are probably maxing out the modem memory by too many torrent connections.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Mario Q

MVM

to Mario Q
The BEFCMU10 v3 is capable of DOCSIS 2.0; however, Comcast is not going to upgrade it with new firmware for D2.
You will need to either buy another D2 modem or spend the extra cash for a D3 modem which is backward compatible with D2 / D1.1

I'm still using my BEFCMU10 v4 which ships with D2 firmware.

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to Mario Q

to Mario Q
Your signal levels, as posted, are fine and should not be a contributing factor to your problem.

If you want to explore the possibility of a firmware upgrade, post in the Comcast Direct forum. Only your ISP, Comcast in this case, can change the modem's firmware. It's also possible that your modem is no longer supported and a firmware upgrade won't be possible.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

There is no D2 firmware that Comcast offers for the v3; never was available from day 1.
TX CS Aggie
TX CS Aggie
join:2009-07-22
College Station, TX

TX CS Aggie to Johkal

to Johkal
just picked up a 2nd BEFCMU10 v4 from goodwill computer works in Austin Tx for 9.95! hell of a deal!

sorry had to share.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by TX CS Aggie:

just picked up a 2nd BEFCMU10 v4 from goodwill computer works in Austin Tx for 9.95! hell of a deal!

sorry had to share.
Should have picked one up for me as well.
kstudley
join:2010-07-25
Atlanta, GA

kstudley to Mario Q

to Mario Q
Try going to linksys's website. A Google Search should help you find the site, then you should be able to download the firmware, directly from the manufacturer. Even when I buy a new computer, I install my own copies of the OS's and make sure that all of the firmwares and drivers are the most current by visiting the manufacturers website. Try it, you might just be very surprised.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by kstudley:

Try going to linksys's website. A Google Search should help you find the site, then you should be able to download the firmware, directly from the manufacturer. Even when I buy a new computer, I install my own copies of the OS's and make sure that all of the firmwares and drivers are the most current by visiting the manufacturers website. Try it, you might just be very surprised.
Customers can not download "modem" firmware from the manufacturer. It's not available.