retired17
Premium Member
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

retired17

Premium Member

[Rant] 24 hour fitness has my fingerprints

When I signed up at 24 hour fitness, they got my home address along with a copy of my driver's license. Now they have my left and right index finger prints. They will use it for cardless check-in instead of scanning your membership card. That's what they say. They claim you will no longer need your card so forgetting or losing it doesn't matter. I feel this a PRIVACY issue. Why do they need my finger prints when showing your membership card and a photo ID as they have done in the past has always sufficed? When I complained, they said if you don't like it, you can always quit. Good bye privacy.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

1 recommendation

Omega

Premium Member

No one is forcing you to go to 24 hour fitness.

They were right, if you don't like it, leave.

They didn't hold a gun to your head or have a court order you to do it, you did it of your own free will. You don't have a leg to stand on here.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

When I signed up at 24 hour fitness, they got my home address along with a copy of my driver's license. Now they have my left and right index finger prints. They will use it for cardless check-in instead of scanning your membership card. That's what they say. They claim you will no longer need your card so forgetting or losing it doesn't matter. I feel this a PRIVACY issue. Why do they need my finger prints when showing your membership card and a photo ID as they have done in the past has always sufficed? When I complained, they said if you don't like it, you can always quit. Good bye privacy.
They are making it so people who look alike (like siblings) can't share one membership.
It also probably makes their jobs easier since they don't have to deal with people showing up without any ID or their membership cards.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to retired17

to retired17
Fingerprints and privacy? Who cares!?

Think about it seriously... what kind of information could they find about you by looking at your fingerprints? Nothing.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
So let me get this straight.

You have a problem with them having your fingerprints but you gave them the fingerprints anyways?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
and the problem is what? do you wash down your car every day, your door knob, and goddess knows what else you touch. its no big deal, id much rather deal with biometrics than having to carry around a bunch of cards. personally i cant wait for the day when your fingerprint is connected to your credit cards and i.d. so you dont even have to carry around a wallet.

here in georgia they USED to do the fingerprint thing so if you lost your I.D. / D.L. you didnt need to bring in a bunch of crap to get a new one, just scan your finger, but that went out the seccond our governor got in to office
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

Good bye privacy.
What do you do with the fingerprints you leave behind on every thing you touch every day? The world is gonna get you!!!!!
10825447 (banned)
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ

10825447 (banned) to retired17

to retired17
said by retired17:

You didnt refuse? FAIL

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

Every time you touched one of their chrome-plated or other non-porous surface exercise machines, you're leaving fingerprints, DNA and God-knows-what-else behind. So why the consternation over a fingerprint on a scanner?
retired17
Premium Member
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

From what I have gather from all your responses, you wouldn't mind the credit card company requiring you to have your fingerprints scanned everytime you make a purchase at a store. My point is that for now government is collecting data on you, now businesses are starting to do the same thing. Where's my freedom?

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

bitemeboy

said by retired17:

From what I have gather from all your responses, you wouldn't mind the credit card company requiring you to have your fingerprints scanned everytime you make a purchase at a store. My point is that for now government is collecting data on you, now businesses are starting to do the same thing. Where's my freedom?
I was first fingerprinted in the 1950's for the military. I was again
fingerprinted for NSA clearance. I have been fingerprinted many dozens of times
during my lifetime by government agencies and private companies. I've traveled
all over the world and have been in all 50 states and surrounding islands of
North America. I come and go as I please anywhere. I'm sitting here on the
internet where I can get local information from anywhere in the world. I don't
have to rely on American media to see what's happening. The U.S. Government
knows everything about me since the day I was born. The credit reporting
agencies know everything about me financially. The phone company knows
everything about my phone calls. The credit card companies know what I buy
and where. Motor vehicle knows what I am driving and how I drive. This is just
skimming the surface! Are you gettin' it yet? Your "FREEDOM" is off planet!

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

Cthen to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

You still haven't addressed my response. If you have a problem with them having your prints, why did you give them your prints? Freely at that!

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to bitemeboy

to bitemeboy
I don't think I've ever been fingerprinted.
nickdigger
join:2009-06-13

2 recommendations

nickdigger to Technogeez

to Technogeez
said by Technogeez:

Every time you touched one of their chrome-plated or other non-porous surface exercise machines, you're leaving fingerprints, DNA and God-knows-what-else behind. So why the consternation over a fingerprint on a scanner?
Because some fitness club has no right to a person's biometric data. They aren't finding the data on the floor, and hoping it's good; they are getting a clean scan, which a dishonest employee could reproduce & possibly use to access any device you own with a fingerprint scanner (laptop, car, home, office, safe). Maybe that sounds paranoid, but really, fuck the fitness club or any corp that thinks they are entitled to anally probe their customers just because they own a probe and their customers have anuses. "But we're being bankrupted by identical twins sharing a single membership card." Bullshit.

If an employee dusted a machine for prints immediately after use, there'd be a serious "WTF" possibly followed by violence. Legally, technically, somone could probably go house-to-house, car-to-car & dust every door knob and collect dandruff flakes & bloody bandaids to compile a database; but such a person would deserve death by blunt force if caught by their target.

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

ironwalker to fatness

MVM

to fatness
said by fatness:

I don't think I've ever been fingerprinted.
I was in nursery school....or pre-school for those who do not know what a nursery school is.
it was a trip to our friendly police station that the middlesex school district made mandatory to all public schools. The fingerprinting was kind of a treat or a gift we were given as they demonstrated on every kid from every class from every school from every trip every year ensuring a nice catalog of the local kids finger prints for future crimes. here son, tak it home, frame it, show mom, maybe show your own kids how small you were and how stupid your parents were for allowing this to happen!

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to nickdigger

Premium Member

to nickdigger
said by nickdigger:
said by Technogeez:

Because some fitness club has no right to a person's biometric data. They aren't finding the data on the floor, and hoping it's good; they are getting a clean scan, which a dishonest employee could reproduce & possibly use to access any device you own with a fingerprint scanner (laptop, car, home, office, safe). Maybe that sounds paranoid, but really, fuck the fitness club or any corp that thinks they are entitled to anally probe their customers just because they own a probe and their customers have anuses. "But we're being bankrupted by identical twins sharing a single membership card." Bullshit.

If an employee dusted a machine for prints immediately after use, there'd be a serious "WTF" possibly followed by violence. Legally, technically, somone could probably go house-to-house, car-to-car & dust every door knob and collect dandruff flakes & bloody bandaids to compile a database; but such a person would deserve death by blunt force if caught by their target.
Whether or not you feel they have the "right," if you leave it behind, it's abandoned, and therefore fair game for anyone who wants to collect it. BTW, a photo is "biometric data," but I don't hear an outcry from OP about giving up a photo for their membership card...

way2evil
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY

way2evil to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

What is the government do with all this data? Kill us with it?

I sure as hell hope they let us scan our fingerprints when we pay with a CC. It will make the signature panel, which is already useless, obsolete, and implement a real form of security.

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

2 recommendations

ironwalker

MVM

It isn't even business' collecting data or building a profile on one, it's the insurance companies I am afraid of. All those discount cards ya get at you favorite stores does more than give discounts, it collects a database of all you purchases then is sold for big money. Insurance companies in the future will have the right to cancel your emergency liver failure request for a new liver because of all those scotch purchases at your local bottle king store for the past 35 years. finger printing is not even the half of it when it comes to profiling each person or building databases on everyone.
fingerprinting isnt all that secure either, it too can be spoofed like a mac address. So don't think all this stuff being implemented in the future is for our better good, to protect us, or to prevent identity theft, it's just a way to sell the idea of databseing everyone for other reasons and money is the main one.
I'd take better security over ease of use or speed of use any day.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to nickdigger

Premium Member

to nickdigger
said by nickdigger:

Because some fitness club has no right to a person's biometric data.
They do if one wishes to be a member of said club.

If it's a problem, don't join.
Expand your moderator at work

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to nickdigger

Premium Member

to nickdigger

Re: [Rant] 24 hour fitness has my fingerprints

said by nickdigger:
said by Technogeez:

They have a right to make you do anything legal to allow you to pay for their services.
You have the right to refuse to give them business if you don't like their requirements.

I easily see how a fingerprint makes their jobs easier.
As I said before there is never any doubt if someone is trying to use another persons membership and if someone forgets their ID you save a lot of time because their finger can be used at ID and they can't forget that.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
wow um yeah as somebody said already are you a CT? you sound like it and are very paranoid. it's how everything is moving towards and either your going to get with it or your going to be living a very interesting life hiding from the ones who think there going to cause you issues.

I am all for this, SO bring it on and more.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

When I complained, they said if you don't like it, you can always quit. Good bye privacy.
I would have quit.

andream24
@24hourfit.com

1 recommendation

andream24 to retired17

Anon

to retired17
Hi Nick, my name is Andrea and I work for 24 Hour Fitness Corporate. I believe you have been given the wrong information in regards to the new card-less check in we have. Our system doesn’t actually use or store fingerprints. We look the member up using their check-in code and then identify them by just looking at the distance between a few unique points on their finger, but we don’t actually use or store fingerprints with the Cardless Check-in system. Also, should you chose not to participate in this program can check-into the club using an original photo ID.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
Want your drivers license? Put your two thumbs on that scanner right there.....

Durf
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Durf to retired17

Anon

to retired17
Some of the responses here seem to imply fingerprints will be some great new privacy advancement.

Not necessarily. If everything switched to fingerprints, crooks would frequent atms/banks, stores, and lift fingerprints at will by following marks. Evil crooks will murder people and cut off their fingers to allow extended time to drain finances.

Any fingerprint system will still need a pin or some other password. The safest place is something hidden in someone's mind and not shared. Our fingerprints and DNA are shared daily and very public.

Think about how easy random collection could be: drive around at night, lift fingerprints off of cars, use google to match the car to a person at the address.
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to retired17

to retired17
Paranoid much?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to retired17

to retired17
Feh

I would have QUIT INSTANTLY!!!!!!!

I value my privacy probably more than anyone here!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate
said by PatPatate:

Think about it seriously... what kind of information could they find about you by looking at your fingerprints? Nothing.
LOTS[if you have a police record]
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to retired17

to retired17
said by BigBlarg :
Apparently you dont value even your own privacy!!

Quite sad.....