Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

Honda Generator: Repair or junk it?

My brother gave me a little Honda EG1400X generator he pulled out of a junk pile. From my research these were made from 1984 to 1992, so it's at least eighteen years old.

I have no idea how many hours are on it, but it is relatively clean and appears to have been well taken care of. As best I can tell, it had stopped running because the gas turned to gunk and someone didn't want to deal with it.

I did get it running briefly, long enough to verify voltage output but not under load. The engine has good compression and doesn't blow oil. I could not find any other obvious problems except for the carb.

The bottom line is it will take about $100 worth of parts to get it back on line (I can do the work myself).

So my question is, is this thing worth the hundred bucks to fix it? I do have a use for it, and you can't buy any generator, much less a Honda, for that kind of money. It's quite old but I think with a little TLC I could get many more years out of it. The only other option is to sell it as-is for parts or whatever, but I hate to junk an otherwise fine generator over a relatively easy fix. If it matters, part of the $100 includes routine maintenance stuff like a spark plug and air filter.

Sooo...Fix it or junk it?

mocycler

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

I'm not even sure why it will cost that much for parts. I'd just remove the carburetor, disassemble it and clean it. You would need a few new seals etc but I don't see that should cost over $20.00. Even if it did cost of $100 it's probably worth it if you have a use for it.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to mocycler

said by mocycler:

If it matters, part of the $100 includes routine maintenance stuff like a spark plug and air filter.
Spark plug and air filter should be nowhere near $100. More like $10-15 altogether.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to mocycler

I would definitely try to repair it.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to mocycler

It's junk. Throw it away. My way. I have a friend in Chicago that can come pick it up for me.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

Spark plug and air filter should be nowhere near $100. More like $10-15 altogether.
As I said, it is part of the $100, not the whole package.

Msradell See Profile, I tried cleaning the carb out as you suggested. I got it running, but not the way it should.

As you can guess, individual rebuild parts for a twenty year old Honda are rather pricey (the float alone is $20), but I can buy a new carb complete and ready to go for about $65. It also needs a new recoil spring in the pull start ($13). Toss in some other small parts, a spark plug & air filter +shipping for everything and it's not hard to run up a $100 tab.

mocycler

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
reply to mocycler

It ran, after coming out of a junk pile...
It's a honda...

Fix it... worst case you are out $100 and maybe could sell it on craigslist for that...

Biggest thing is it ran...

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
reply to mocycler

fix

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to mocycler

It probably runs rough or only with the choke on.

On mine, I actually had to drill out the jets to get it to run smooth.

Cleaning with carb cleaner is usually not enough. If you can take the jets out, boil them in a mixture of lemon juice and water. Will take off the corrosion that make the jets smaller.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to mocycler

said by mocycler:

My brother gave me a little Honda EG1400X generator he pulled out of a junk pile. From my research these were made from 1984 to 1992, so it's at least eighteen years old.

I have no idea how many hours are on it, but it is relatively clean and appears to have been well taken care of. As best I can tell, it had stopped running because the gas turned to gunk and someone didn't want to deal with it.

I did get it running briefly, long enough to verify voltage output but not under load. The engine has good compression and doesn't blow oil. I could not find any other obvious problems except for the carb.

The bottom line is it will take about $100 worth of parts to get it back on line (I can do the work myself).

So my question is, is this thing worth the hundred bucks to fix it? I do have a use for it, and you can't buy any generator, much less a Honda, for that kind of money. It's quite old but I think with a little TLC I could get many more years out of it. The only other option is to sell it as-is for parts or whatever, but I hate to junk an otherwise fine generator over a relatively easy fix. If it matters, part of the $100 includes routine maintenance stuff like a spark plug and air filter.

Sooo...Fix it or junk it?

mocycler

FIX IT

stuff made 20years ago was made better!

if you got a new one it would only last a year then fail (typical after warranty is over)

my grandpa has a air conditioner from 1969!

still keeps his whole downstairs Cold!

at a cool 20.5*C(69*F)!

It pays for it Self over and over in replacement costs

as everything now days is disposable

and only will last a year of hevey use

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to mocycler

Start it up, and put a load on it this time. I'd be reluctant to put much cash into it until I knew it could handle a load. Neighbors of mine up north are on their second i2000. They've had their first for many years, which still ran very quietly and smoothly, but it barely powered their little tube television towards the end. It won't be much use if it can't produce the power you'd need it for.
My 2000 is on its third year now, running six hours for four or five days per week. They design bizarre looking cars, but their inverters rule.

The guy was an asshole though - he sold his at one of the shows we share for $400, which is almost half of the cost for a new 2000. Whomever he sold it to got screwed.

builderbob

@cox.net
reply to mocycler

the honda generators/pumps/mowers I have over the years have all had carb problems. the float bowl honda uses is zinc plated metal that rusts out when standing gas remains in the float housing. replacing carb is easiest solution but new carb has same bowl housing. i use stabil and run motors dry. some of my motors were purchased in late 80's and are still running.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to mocycler

said by mocycler:

I do have a use for it, and you can't buy any generator, much less a Honda, for that kind of money. It's quite old but I think with a little TLC I could get many more years out of it.
I think you answered your own question.