join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to KrK

Re: WTF Massive, unexpected jump in Electricity usage... :(

O M G

Oh man

Well, I found something. Really I can't believe this. Wow.

This is what it looked like in the dark.

Here's some light so you can clearly see what it is.

Don't ask me how it got on.... but it's been on for a couple of months at least. Man oh man.

Stupid, stupid! You have to understand how this could happen. First, it's in the basement, but it's in a small room about as big as a closet that the previous owners had started to make into a bathroom but never finished. The room is empty and small and there's absolutely no reason to go in there, and it's also out of sight and you don't even walk near it when you go into the basement to do laundry, etc etc

So I'm looking around and trying to check my ducts, which go past this room. As I'm standing by the door I feel this heat and walk in and it's like an oven in there and voila, there it is. Some kind of old school bathroom heating lamp glowing red. Wow oh wow. Since the switch is right by the light switch it must of gotten flipped on when the light was flipped on last time I went in there---- which was so long ago I can't remember. It's been on this whole time! I took the first shot so you could see how dark it is in there and how the glow wouldn't be noticable outside the room.

Well, I feel like an idiot now. I'm sure my A/C has been using a lot of power because of how hot it's been, but I think I just found a huge source of why the bill jumped so dramatically. 24/7 this thing has been heating that room.

>--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
My napkin calculation of 1100W of heat was pretty close.

Disconnect that fire hazard.
--
Real estate taxes are a violation of property rights.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, it's old school, it's probably been in the place for decades, it has no light to show it's on etc and no thermostat so it just runs flat out when on until switched off.

FFS. So not only have I been running an electric resistance heater non stop I've been having to remove the heat it makes with the A/C. So paying *twice*.

What a waste.

I just taped over the switch. That's not going to happen again. When I finally get to remodeling the basement, that thing will be one of the first things to go!
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Can I have it? It looks kind of retro-cool.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
Is it just me --- it looks like it was supposed to be mounted recessed with the lip flush with the ceiling, but instead they just surface mounted it.....?
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
It is hard to say from your pic but the mount looks safe. I also think it looks cool. I don't see anything inherently dangerous about it. Most bath heaters do not have a thermostat or light to show they are on. What you probably need on it is a timer switch so it can't stay on forever (forever is hereby defined as running a heater through a possibly record setting Oklahoma summer nonstop).

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to KrK
If you want to keep the heater, but prevent it from being left on again, just replace the switch with a dial-type timer. That way it can't be accidentally turned on and when it does get turned on it will shut off automagically.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
Good idea. But that whole area needs a remodel. Well actually more like properly constructed. LOL

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to KrK
If it's any consolation that's the first correct use of a double facepalm I've ever seen.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

2 recommendations

reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Can I have it? It looks kind of retro-cool.
Might make a nice hat...
--
The Truth is the foremost enemy of the State now.

Art Knotly

join:2010-05-25
Alexandria, VA
reply to KrK
A basement remodeling professional »basementdetective.com should look at that. Doesn't look like it was even installed correctly.

looks cool though... make a great lamp, or something!