how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Murdoc
Premium
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

Which do you like gas or electric stove?

I was wanting to know what you like better gas or electric stove?

My reasons for getting a gas stove is because I can use it when the power is out. It doesn't have that horrible smell like the electric ranges do. I can cook things better. I could also run the gas oven portion on a small inverter since it has an electronic ignition.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
Gas is better. At least that is what my wife, who is a chef, tells me.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

1 recommendation

reply to Murdoc
Electric for everything. I would never live in a home that has gas, or if it did I would replace it with electric.

Murdoc
Premium
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

1 edit
said by MineCoast:

Electric for everything. I would never live in a home that has gas, or if it did I would replace it with electric.
Is that because of the old time stoves with pilot lights or what? Do you live where electric is that cheap to run all electric?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

1940 called. They'd like their house back.

Gas for everything here. Electricity is too expensive to waste heating up a coil of metal.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Murdoc
Gas for cooktop. More precise control.

Electric for oven. Maintains temperature better.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by MineCoast:

1940 called. They'd like their house back.

Gas for everything here. Electricity is too expensive to waste heating up a coil of metal.
Nearly all of the homes built here no longer have gas, the only homes here that you would find gas in are the homes 1980ish or older that has not had a new heating system installed. My home was built in 2000 and doesn't have gas anything and I plan to keep it that way. My electric central heat keeps my house plenty warm, even on the nights where it's in the 10's. Electric is 13 cents per kilowatt hour here. My electric bill is around $250 - $300 a month in summer and winter for a 1300 sq foot home.

My family in Ohio use gas for everything and from my understanding, nearly every home there has gas, including the new ones.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to Murdoc
I have always been satisfied with electric because it can low-simmer better than gas. Gas heats "faster" because there is no warm-up of the element - turn it on and it is on. Conversely, when you turn it off, it stops cooking immediately. But on that count, sometimes it is nice to turn off the electric a little before it is done and let the residual heat finish the cooking.

As for running a gas stove when the power is out, most of the new ones I've seen have electronic ignition, not the old gas pilot light. And in our house, when the power goes out, the fridge stays shut, so there isn't anything to cook anyway. When we do open the door to get everything out in one furious flurry, we cook on the gas grill outside.

dw

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to Murdoc
I've cooked on both . . . and gas is far better. They are much more precise for regulating heat and thus cooking temperature. There's a good reason you see most professional chefs and most restaurants using gas, it's far superior.
--
The Rules of Spam

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to MineCoast
That's really surprising that gas isn't common in new homes where you're at. What is gas costs there per therm? Are there other reasons why it's so uncommon?

Even with electricity being .0637/kWh before taxes (~.085 after) here, gas is still significantly cheaper for everything but powering the AC.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

This. I know several restaurant owners and CIA graduates and this is the answer. The correct answer. There is no other correct answer for a chef. Period.

Unfortunately they are EXPENSIVE to get a single unit that uses a gas stove and electric oven (at least in my neck of the woods/budget). I also have gas coming up TO the house (meter base - no meter) so I would have had to pay to get the gas piped the the stove and a monthly base. With the amount I cook I would most likely incur pennies a month charge and a couple dollars in "delivery". I also didn't want to have propane tanks out back so for the time I got all electric.

You can bet, though, that once I replace my heat with gas I'll be getting a gas stove!

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to MineCoast
Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. Gas mains threaten entire townships (just look at what happened to that condo complex in NJ--500 units destroyed when a 36" main was severed by construction machinery).. it's too dangerous.
I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen, and doesn't heat the pot handles to scorching temps like gas burners do. Electric all the way. Ban gas!

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Murdoc
Another vote for Gas stove, electric oven. I have a 42" 8 burner gas cook top and then a dual electric over. Wouldn't have it any other way.

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY
reply to Murdoc
Prefer Gas. Also comes in handy when you lose power, stove still works!

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

+1
I love gas for all appliances (stove included), except for the oven.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Murdoc
I like Gas. Here it's cheaper, it's instant and gives perfectly even heat. No pilot lights. I like gas stoves and cooktops.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

I agree 100%. My wife insisted on electric. I think I finally have her convinced so the next stove will be gas.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. (snip)
I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen,
Oh well. BTW that heat the electric makes, where does it go, since it's not heating the kitchen?
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04

2 edits
reply to Murdoc
Gas is not available where I live so it's not an option. I'm not installing a propane tank outside just for the stove. I've used both electric and gas. I don't think either is better or worse then the other. Gas allows you can control the heat more but without measuring the heat you have no idea where it's at. With electric you can measure once and you always know what temp the burner is on each setting. Gas works without power while electric doesn't. Gas is cheaper in most of the country. Electric is safer overall. Electric is normally cheaper to maintain as well. Electric tends to heat stuff more uniform.

If I had a choice I'd have electric upstairs in the main kitchen with gas in the basement. I have 2 FULL kitchens in my new house!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Murdoc
Gas stove - electric oven is best imho.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Gas mains threaten entire townships (just look at what happened to that condo complex in NJ--500 units destroyed when a 36" main was severed by construction machinery)
hmmm . . . sounds to me like "construction machinery" was the one that was dangerous
--
The Rules of Spam

builderbob

@cox.net
reply to Murdoc
gas is easier to temp regulate for cooking, better for resale if house is ever sold, works during power outage.

should be hood or backsplash ventilated to outdoors.

most new gas ranges have piezo ignition. standing pilots are pretty much a feaure of the past.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to disconnected
Zero reason to ban gas or else you would also need to ban the internal combustion engine or anything else flammable - nail polish, alcohol etc.... They would also have to ban those newly built gas fired electric plans that don't seem to have problems with explosions.

For so much danger - few accidents happen... Yet so much incredible FUD - enough for hip boots to be needed.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Murdoc
Agree with the others, gas for stovetop, electric for oven.

Charcoal for grill.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Ding, ding, ding - the Holy Trifecta.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to dick white
said by dick white:

As for running a gas stove when the power is out, most of the new ones I've seen have electronic ignition, not the old gas pilot light.
You can always use a match or aim'n'flame to light the top burners...

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Murdoc
said by Murdoc:

It doesn't have that horrible smell like the electric ranges do.
I've never smelled anything unless someone spilled grease, but that should be the case for gas too.

And I've never seen a single gas appliance in either California or Florida. Is it a midwestern or northern thing like basements, which I've also never seen?

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to builderbob
said by builderbob :

gas is easier to temp regulate for cooking
Gas is easier to adjust the temp but not to get a consistent temp. Without a laser temp device you'll never get a constant temp on gas. You might get in the 'ballpark' each time but it will be up or down 15-30 degrees just by trying to put it in the same pot on the knob every time. This is why lots of people dislike a gas range. They under/over cook stuff because of the lack of consistency. I'm like Alton Brown so either gas or electric works for me. I always get the temp where I want it with a laser temp device.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

And I've never seen a single gas appliance in either California or Florida. Is it a midwest or northern thing like basements, which I've also never seen?
In GA gas is very common... in fact my house (10 years old) has spots for gas and electric for the stove and dryer. I will say that the lower end houses only have gas for furnace and electric for hot water. Some will also have gas for stove.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Murdoc
Electric Stoves can have problems with pans that are not absolutely flat. Either by buying cheaper pans and pots, or just simply having the wear on them over the years that causes them to slightly warp. Electric needs direct contact with the metal on the entire surface.

Gas does not.

That said. Electric is butt fucking cheap here. I pay $200-250/mo for an all electric house. Electric stove. Electric Dryer. Electric Heating/AC (central air). Everything is electric. I have 2 computers that are never turned off. I have a 50" Plasma TV that runs almost the entire time someone is home and awake, even if no one is directly watching it.

I have a grill with propane if I need to do any "real" cooking.

Electric will get a pot of water boiling much faster than gas will.
--
'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.' -Thomas Jefferson -