join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

said by Mike Wolf:

But this did happen when Adelphia was bought out in my area by Comcast...
The majority of the Comcast of Toms River system, the old Adelphia system that served Toms River to Little Egg Harbor was a SA system. There were some areas for a short period time that were using GI General Instruments boxes and equipment. It was in areas in the northern part of the county that were getting channels above 80 before the digital conversion. The majority of the infrastructure in the system was still SA.

Adelphia only bought the GI equipment because SA at the time did not have equipment that worked beyond the 80 channel analog capacity (78 with the 2 additional band channels), and only bought these early hybrid analog/digital boxes because they feared Bell Atlantic's Futurevision pilot program that was running in Toms River. They stopped buying that GI (soon after bought by Motorola) equipment because SA finally came out with digital devices. They were going to phase out the GI equipment even if they hadn't swapped systems with Comcast. Those boxes only allowed for twenty or so additional channels and were practically obsolete when they were installed. For all intents and purposes Adelphia Cable of Toms River was a Scientific Atlanta headend system.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

Impossible because when I moved down here in 1999 the digital boxes and equipment was Motorola, which continued to be Motorola until Comcast came in.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

comcast doesn't change boxes in a system because that would require a complete rebuild of the system to switch from motorola to cisco UNLESS they combined it with a Cisco system and switched the gear on the poles from motorola to cisco.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to actor90

Why not just deploy Simulcrypt, so they can use Motorola set tops (as well as Moto DTA's) as well?

Verizon starts Simulcrypt on Wed 9/15 I believe. They will slowly start rolling out Cisco set tops with IMG loaded on and expandable hard drive DVR's. It lets them have more inventory and not have to rely on only ONE set top provider. So if Motorola jacks their rates, they can pull more from Cisco (or vice versa).

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Impossible because when I moved down here in 1999 the digital boxes and equipment was Motorola, which continued to be Motorola until Comcast came in.
I didn't think it went beyond the first generation hybrid analog digital boxes, but the majority of the system, I would say about 70% of the Adelphia Toms River system was Scientific Atlanta equipment. I was close to those in the know back then at Adelphia's office in Toms River, and the plan was to go back to SA equipment for all headends even before the Comcast swap because only 30% at the most was switched over to the GI/Motorola equipment in the mid to late 90's and the local engineering staff hated it. Once the swap was announced Adelphia stopped all upgrades and left it to Comcast to complete.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

ah ok, cool.

Now I gotta complain about the lack of HD channels by Comcast, compared to Cablevision, down in Seaside Park which is like a handful of miles from me, and yet most of these channels here we dont get in my town. Why can't Comcast get thier act together sooner.

WCBSDT, WPXNDT, WNBCDT, WNYWDT, WABCDT, WFUTDT, WWORDT, WPIXDT, N12NJHD, WNETDT, MSGVNJH, YESHDNY, MSGHD, MSGPLHD, SNYHD, VSHD, BIG10HD, MNBCHD, CNBCHD, CNNHD, NGCHD, HDT, WNJUDT, WABCDT2, HGTVD, DISNHD, TOONHD, NIKHD, TCMHD, ESPN2HD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, USAHD, TBSHD, SPIKEHD, WEHD, AMCHD, BRAVOHD, UHD, AETVHD, HSTRYHD, SYFYHD, ABCFHD, DXDHD, EHD, VH1HD, MTVHD, BETHD, CMTVHD, FUSEHD, APLHD, TRUTVHD, SCIHD, FNCHD, TWCHD, TRAVHD, TLCHD, DSCHD, FOODHD, FXHD, CCHD, SPEEDHD, FBNHD, NGWILDH, SMTHHD, BIOHD, HMCHD, IFCHD, CINHD, PLDHD, G4HD, GOLFHD, OUTHD2, NBATVHD, MLBHD, NHLHD, HDPPV, CBSCSHD, ESPNUHD, TENISHD, ESPNWHD, HBOHD, HBO2HD, HBOSGHD, HBOFHD, HBOCHD, HBOZHD, HBOLAHD, HBOHDP, HBO2PHD, HBOSPHD, HBOFPHD, STZHD, STZKHD, STZEHD, STZHDP, STZCHD, ENCR1H, IFCHD, SHOWHD, SHO2HD, SHOCSHD, SHOWXHD, SHOWHDP, SHO2PHD, SHOCPHD, MAXHD, ACMAXHD, MOMAXHD, THMAXHD, WOMAXHD, ATMAXHD, 5MAXHD, OMAXHD, MAXHDP, TMCHD, TMCXHD, TMCHDP,TMCXPHD, QVCHD, GRNHD, STYLEHD

JCO65

join:2010-01-15
Brick, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit

Mike, I can't dispute your facts about Cablevision with the HD. The only point of contention that I can make is that Cablevision is ONLY situated in the NY area now. They sold off all of their systems in Chicago, Ohio, and Massachusetts before the digital revolution and only has systems left in the New York market. That made it easier for CV to upgrade it's sytems[Especially since they only dealt with SA/Cisco for it's hardware as opposed to CC having systems througntry with bot Motorola and SA/Cisco system hardware].

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Not sure what you mean when you say its ONLY in the NY area now, since its available in a wide area of New Jersey. Though I do understand that the places you listed dont recieve the NY feeds. »www.optimum.com/channel_lineups.jsp

Expand your moderator at work

JCO65

Brick, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

The New Jersey towns that have Cablevision are part of the NY metropolitan area. In media terms, it is known as the New York DMA. Same goes for the Cablevision systems in CT.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

ok? so that includes Ocean County as well since we get both the Philly channels and NYC channels for local news, though only the NYC ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX, and UPN are sent in HD on the digital channels, where as the Philly channels are digital, marked as HD by every device, Comcast, and channel guide, but aren't actually transmitted in HD.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

1 edit

That is correct, although in Ocean County the digital Philly network channels are NOT listed as HD[Unlike TR]. The reverse takes place in Mercer County, where the Philly networks channels are in the HD slots, while the NY network channels were not. Mercer County is actually part of the Philly DMA[or ADI]

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

ah ok so I'm not crazy, because I called Comcast a few days ago, and the tech was very insistant that those channels ARE in HD, that 480i is HD, and that I'm recieving it in HD. When I told him that I've never recieved anything in HD on that channel, he muttered something and hung up.
Whats irritating is that every online guide, TiVo, Moxi, and DVR mark those Philly channels as HD.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

480i is HD?? In the words of a famous comedian, "Obviously that tech is definitely on drugs".

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Yeah, it was like 6am in the morning, and I didn't want to chew him out and wake people up, and I just hung up. I called immediately back up, got another tech, but was told the same thing. What the hell are they teaching these people..