Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

Best way to complain about a Hospital?

I need to find out where I can complain about Sain Johns Hospital in Santa Monica,CA. The nursing staff is bad. Bedside manner is terrible, while they are arrogant, talking on their cell phones, and making comments about patients that anybody would find unacceptable.
So, where can i send a complaint? Weve talked to the head nurse, and she said she put in a complaint a week ago, but the problem still exists.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

There should be state license boards for both the hospital, nurses and doctors.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

Being rude is not illegal and nothing the licensing board will get involved with.

Complain to the hospital administrator and/or whatever corporate entity/church/whatever owns the hospital and if not satisfied, choose a different hospital.

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to billydunwood

(310) 829-8017

billydunwood

united state
reply to craig70130

said by craig70130:

Being rude is not illegal and nothing the licensing board will get involved with.

Complain to the hospital administrator and/or whatever corporate entity/church/whatever owns the hospital and if not satisfied, choose a different hospital.
No, but complete misdiagnoisis and sending a 90 year old person home with a big infection might be bordeline abuse. They sent home when he had a big infection, and 2 days later he had a flare up, and is right back in there. This hospital sucks(we have to go here because of insurance reasons). The rudeness just adds to their idiocracy.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

None of which you mentioned in your original post.

billydunwood

united state

1 edit

said by craig70130:

None of which you mentioned in your original post.
i tend to forget things when Im typing. They said he had cancer, and two other doctors said " why would they say that. He has no signs of cancer". Complete crap.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

Send a letter to the hospital administrator. Also get the main/admitting doctor to help run interference. That doctor should be able to give you final diagnosis, make sure the floor treats the patient right etc. You are in a cycle now. Legitimate complaint not addressed, add more complaints.. become known as a complainer by staff etc. and complaints are "heard" less and less.

A typical response to the "powerlessness" of an illness is relatives and patients to complain about other problems, nothing tends to make them happy yet this is mainly due to the stress of this illness. Your best bet is to sit down quietly and make a list of exactly those things you would like to change and speak in a calm voice, even your post sounds angry. This won't help you nor the patient.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

said by dandelion:

Send a letter to the hospital administrator.
Yes, do it in writing, and cc your insurance company.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you looking for someone to be fired. Are you looking for money?

Eyeballs
Premium
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

2 recommendations

reply to billydunwood

A lot of the larger hospitals have patient advocates who will help with patient complaints.

You can complain to the hospital administration who usually forwards it to their risk management dept.

You can complain to JCAHO. That's the Joint Commission. Hospitals live and die by these guys. The do annual inspections of all hospitals. And these inspections are the corporate version of a prostate exam. Nothing means more to a hospital than to get a decent inspection from these guys and nothing stings more than to have major violations. St Johns has a NICU, so I am assuming they value this inspection very highly.
»www.jointcommission.org/generalp···mplaint/
--
Team Discovery--BBR Team Helix--Cuz I Care!!

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to billydunwood

The state boards only address neglect or misconduct charges. I doubt they will handle HR or customer service issues. Unfortunately, courtesy is not part of the licensing requirements

Depending on what the "comments about patients that anybody would find unacceptable" are, the staff may be in violation of HIPA laws, which is something the state board will absolutely help you with.

Sending a patient home with a serious condition is the attending doctor's judgement, not the nurses'. Sometimes insurance factors into the decision.

You can pressure management but if they simply won't act there's not much else you can do besides minimize your dealings with that hospital.

mocycler

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Eyeballs

said by Eyeballs:

A lot of the larger hospitals have patient advocates who will help with patient complaints.
That's probably more to get through red tape than to make the nurses do their jobs.

I know someone whose kid was in the hospital. They rang for the nurse, but the nurse didn't answer. So he went to the nurses station, and the conversation went something like this:

"I rang for a nurse, but no one answered."

"How long ago?"

"20 minutes."

"You've only been waiting for 20 minutes. Why are you complaining?"

He got his kid and walked out the door.

--
Critics are asking if Megyn Kelly blows goats.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

There should be state license boards for both the hospital, nurses and doctors.
That's what I would do. However, if you feel that there was negligence on the part of the hospital staff, and that there are damages as a result, you can seek out an Attorney and try to bring a law suit.

Medical Malpractice in CA has a 250K cap, so a lot of Attorney's shy away from many cases, unless they can allege another cause of action that does not have a cap.

EDIT: I should have replied to the OP....Need coffee
--
If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.
Expand your moderator at work

frankdsl124c

join:2008-03-13
Brooklyn, NY
reply to billydunwood

Re: Best way to complain about a Hospital?

Don't just complain sue them for malpractice! You can sue doctors, nurses, social workers and attendants!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

said by craig70130:

No, but complete misdiagnoisis and sending a 90 year old person home with a big infection might be bordeline abuse. They sent home when he had a big infection, and 2 days later he had a flare up, and is right back in there. This hospital sucks(we have to go here because of insurance reasons). The rudeness just adds to their idiocracy.
More like your insurance sucks, the hospital is following the policy of the Medicaid/Medicare, which is looking to cut costs where ever possible

Offer to pay cash and you can have any room, doctor or procedure you want and stay for as long as you want

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Eyeballs

The original complaint is worth a written letter, I'm not commenting on the second part because that's not for a forum board to interpret.

John Has the most sensible answer, more than the hospital will take notice of HIPPA violations.
dandelion A quietly responsive attitude will garner better results.

Not all hospitals are equal, nor necessarily are the clients, these days there is a significant drift away from the bedside situation in hospitals generally. It's more apparent than ever before that budget rules over common sense, ethics and integrity; in some settings.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 edit
reply to billydunwood

Yes, my wife has been an hospital nurse for over 20 years now, and I can confirm that they live in dread of getting a bad review from the Joint Commission (or "jay-co", as they call it). Whenever they get word that an inspector is about, they go flying through the hallways making sure that everything is ship-shape.

I'm no lover of the our current health-care system (and I am in fact trying to do my part to make it better), but be aware that the choice here may be between "a bad hospital" vs. "no hospital". If things are as bad as you say they are, then the J.C. or whoever may choose to just shut it down completely instead of spending the necessary time and money to fix it, so you need to consider where that would leave you and the entire community. This might be a good thing for the community or a very bad thing, all else considered.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

It sounds like to me that the nurses and doctors are overworked, rushed, and do not have enough time to do everything or have personal lives.

As far as the mis-diagnosis, they probably did nothing wrong. Since they are overworked and short staffed they made the best diagnosis they could out of the information they had.
The only way you can prove malpractice is if they broke protocol in their diagnosis or they can't explain to a judge how they made their diagnosis.
Diagnosing problems with the body is basically the same as diagnosing the problems with anything. You conduct tests/inspections and gather info and then make an assessment. Also, they can be limited by your insurance about what tests they can conduct.

If they are overworked and understaffed your complaining will not do anything as they already know about the problems. Your best shot is to also complain with your insurance company and keep writing letters and making phone calls to get them to approve another hospital.
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to billydunwood

Unless they are nurse practitioners, nurses do not make diagnosis. Your complaint about the miss diagnosis is only with the attending physicians.

Other posts have alluded to the fact that floor nurses are extremely busy, i.e. covering about 2 times the number of patients as was normal 10 years, or so ago. How do I know this, I am married to a retired RN (staff nurse).

NYR 56
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Smithtown, NY
reply to frankdsl124c

said by frankdsl124c:

Don't just complain sue them for malpractice! You can sue doctors, nurses, social workers and attendants!
You are an idiot.

OP, careful about complaining too much while someone you know is under their care. If they hear who is complaining, they may very well treat the patient even worse. Although the attitudes are uncalled for, keep in mind they are overworked as other people have said and the misdiagnoses was probably just that, an accident. Remember, "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

I need to find out where I can complain about Sain Johns Hospital in Santa Monica,CA....
Geez, my friend, the complaint procedure is right on their website.

»www.stjohns.org/body.cfm?id=216

The contact information for The Joint Commission (formerly JCAHO) is also on that page.

--------------------------------------------------

Hospitals have gotten worse these days, but that's largely due to funding cutbacks by Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurers, and to having to pay for uninsured US patients and uninsured illegal aliens.

Meanwhile, United Healthcare (which is a company that is really tough on doctors and hospitals) pays obscene amounts to its executives.

»ctwatchdog.com/2010/04/29/102-mi···-outrage

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to billydunwood

If the hospital in question is overworked or overcrowded, they may need to build an addition onto the facility which may block someone's view of the ocean.

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood

The one comment I found very offensive, was when the Nurse said," Gheez, is it worth all this medicine for him. He is 92 you know?". I couldn't believe that, what an idiot. I filed a complaint with the head nurse on this guy, but will file a complaint with the Joint Commission too. Thanks guys.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by billydunwood:

The one comment I found very offensive, was when the Nurse said," Gheez, is it worth all this medicine for him. He is 92 you know?". I couldn't believe that, what an idiot. I filed a complaint with the head nurse on this guy, but will file a complaint with the Joint Commission too. Thanks guys.
Yes, and no doubt I would have found it very offensive, too, had I been in your shoes. But unfortunately she was just verbalizing an awful truth - that as we all live longer we are going to have to start questioning this stuff, because the road we are headed down right now ("Do everything you can for as long as you can!") is causing a big chunk of the country to lose access to health care, or at least to anything remotely affordable. And it's not just the hospitals or the government that makes these kinds of decisions; the biggest decision makers are the insurance companies and our employers (and us), directly or indirectly, whether we like it or not. None of this is an excuse for a mis-diagnosis or a failure to provide adequate basic care, though.

Like I said, my wife has been a hospital nurse for over 20 years now, and she regularly comes home and vents about what goes on at work. When she first started out she was a "Do everything" type; now she's more of a "Just let them die in peace" type. She's sat in on her fair share of "death watches", too, where basically her job was to do just that - let them die in peace.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to billydunwood

Its not that uncommon to hear differing opinions on near end of life care ... I have 5 RN's in my extended family and know first hand how family's come in and refuse to accept the inevitable, spend literally hundreds of thousands in procedures that just keep someone alive, more times than not the person isn't even lucent that the government has to cover.

It most cases, after the 1-3 months of critical care, the patient passes, having to endure the wishes of there kin to stay alive at any cost, regardless of the quality of life.

Who is to say your more right than people that see this every day vs your experiences or desires.

Some people have an entitlement complex, whether its an Ocean view 3 miles away or unlimited health care that they pay nothing for but choose to comment how it doesn't met there expectations

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 edit
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

More like your insurance sucks, the hospital is following the policy of the Medicaid/Medicare, which is looking to cut costs where ever possible

Offer to pay cash and you can have any room, doctor or procedure you want and stay for as long as you want
Yeah, because everyone can afford to pay cash, right? Especially people that are on Medicaid/Medicair just for gits and shiggles...
--
DSLR Mafia
My Blog - Raising Connor
WoW: Mal'Ganis : Aftershock : Krimdal

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood

The problem with the nurses comment, is that all the doctors now say he will recover fully and will be out most likely tomorrow. I dont know why the nurse would say that, when he is doing better, and the doctors say he is going to be fine.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to scross

said by scross:

said by billydunwood:

Yes, and no doubt I would have found it very offensive, too, had I been in your shoes. But unfortunately she was just verbalizing an awful truth - that as we all live longer we are going to have to start questioning this stuff, because the road we are headed down right now ("Do everything you can for as long as you can!") is causing a big chunk of the country to lose access to health care, or at least to anything remotely affordable. And it's not just the hospitals or the government that makes these kinds of decisions; the biggest decision makers are the insurance companies and our employers (and us), directly or indirectly, whether we like it or not. None of this is an excuse for a mis-diagnosis or a failure to provide adequate basic care, though.

Like I said, my wife has been a hospital nurse for over 20 years now, and she regularly comes home and vents about what goes on at work. When she first started out she was a "Do everything" type; now she's more of a "Just let them die in peace" type. She's sat in on her fair share of "death watches", too, where basically her job was to do just that - let them die in peace.
With all due respect, I call BS on this post. I pay for my insurance and into every other pot that I'm forced to, and if I'm in the hospital, I want every resource exhausted to save my ass. Just because I'm 91 doesn't mean I've had my time and its time to go. Unless it is absolutely terminal with no hope, then maybe...but just don't let my age be a factor here. Where does it end from there??

"He's 50 and smoked, so he brought it on himself, we can't afford to try and keep him alive...let him go"...that is the exact "Death Panel" aspect people have been talking about. Bruce in accounting is making my healthcare decisions? I don't fucking think so.

:edit: A samll caveat to what I said above....if I am in a vegetable state and not going to be coming back...then yes, you can let me go at that point.
--
DSLR Mafia
My Blog - Raising Connor
WoW: Mal'Ganis : Aftershock : Krimdal