« The New AT&T
This is a sub-selection from So?

trekboy

join:2006-08-16
Benton, PA

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

Re: So?

Personally, I believe that only individuals should be able to donate to political campaigns, and only up to a certain amount (say $5,000 per year).

It would make politics in America so much more balanced, and lower the cost of entry for 3rd and 4th party candidates.
--
Verizon DSL: 3M/768K

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by trekboy:

Personally, I believe that only individuals should be able to donate to political campaigns, and only up to a certain amount (say $5,000 per year).
Is that $5,000 total to all campaigns in 1 yr. Or is it $5,000 per candidate. If it is per candidate, then nothing changes. For example, George Soros has given close to $1M over 10 yrs, spread over dozens of congress critters. He is buying Congress 1 congressman at a time. If he can give $5,000 to each congress critter nothing has changed, especially when all his relatives can do the same thing.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to trekboy

BINGO.

Corporations should not be treated like individuals and have the same rights individuals have to purchase "representation" from Government via contributions to political campaigns and committees. If they aren't considered a "Person" then the silly free speech arguments would be moot.

The people who make up the company are citizens, but NOT the company itself!
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

If he can give $5,000 to each congress critter nothing has changed, especially when all his relatives can do the same thing.
Or a bunch of monks. Just ask Al "There is no controlling legal authority" Gore.
--
Dresden - I work in Accounts Payable.
Random Bad Guy - In what capacity?
Dresden - I make sure everyone gets what's coming to them.