uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Probably free for subscribers

For what it's worth, Cablevision already offers FREE WiFi across parts of Long Island. The SSIDs on the WiFi stations also advertize Comcast's Xfinity and Time Warner SSIDs with the intent being that if you are a Cablevision/Comcast/Time Warner subscriber you roam for free on the other MSOs network.

What the article is probably not saying is that service will be free for subscribers of Time Warner and Cablevision (And probably Comcast) but people without subscriptions will have to pony up a dollar for a day. For people who travel internationally, a dollar for a day's worth of internet access is very cheap.

And the terms are still being worked out on this....
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

Great for Tourists

This would be a great thing for Tourists. To what ever device they have they could download maps, restaurant locations, museums, etc. It just adds one more information source.

I keep thinking of what San Fransisco could have had. Google was going to have a push advertising system, it would have kept track of your location and then offer up ad's for businesses in your intimidate area. You see an interesting restaurant across the street and you refer to your smart phone or Touch and look for that eatery and pull up their menu. I remember the Businesses in the City were absolutely clamoring for it. Alas San Fransisco was more i interested in Blackberry's for Bums then helping out their tax base.

--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to Nick

Re: Probably free for subscribers

Y'know, if OptimumWifi also had the 99 cent per day access fee...well, that would be really useful since I hear it's all over the place in NYC, but is currently limited to OOL/TW/Comcast users (no FiOS).

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

I don't understand what your point is. Since it's a free service to subscribers, opening it up as a commercial enterprise MAY result in an insufficient infrastructure being in place and not being able to handle the load. Much like AT&T complains about iPhone users.

There are other business purposes to have WiFi available for B2B applications.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Not opening it up for free...opening it up for pay. More people would get on the network, sure, however only those folks who don't have cable already can't access it anyway...

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to Nick

Confirmed over at CED magazine. Free to subscribers.

»www.cedmagazine.com/News-Time-Wa···510.aspx
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.