how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

I had that problem too

sometimes their connection was unavailable and had to use att-wifi across the street or wimax on clearwire.

Their service was slow for few months and then later it improved. But they really lag behind other cable operators (Comcast, Time Warner, etc). They have been bought by a new new capital investment firm which will probably sell it to someone. We'll see in future to whom.

alancats

join:2000-09-20
New York, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
Yeah, Wikipedia reports RCN is in the process of being acquired by a Boston-based private equity firm. The problem is that private equity firms generally have zero interest in running a business for the long-term; after acquisition, they'll make a few token management changes and maybe dump some assets or restructure some debt and then sell the company as having been somehow "reorganized," and improved (for a tidy profit, of course), but the customer will still be stuck with the same sub-par service.

My parents have FIOS Internet -- it's far superior to Time-Warner, their previous ISP. There is no doubt in my mind that FIOS is the best Internet service out there. Verizon spent $23 billion building their fiber network and running it to the home. No other company had the deep pockets to make this investment (or the balls to take the risk). The cable companies are too cheap to make substantial investments in their network infrastructure, so the customer gets the shaft with superficial, cosmetic "upgrades."

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
The cable companies are too cheap to make substantial investments in their network infrastructure, so the customer gets the shaft with superficial, cosmetic "upgrades."
that's vey true for time warner cable. but other providers like Comcast, Cablevision, Cox do upgrade to fast Docsis 3.0 in many areas

DanD
Premium
join:2009-07-17
Needham, MA
reply to alancats
quote:
Verizon spent $23 billion building their fiber network and running it to the home.

Believe it or not, RCN actually pioneered this, back in the late'90s. But, the costs were way, way more substantial then than now to run the fiber, etc. So RCN never moved forward with the plans of having fiber run directly to the house.

However, in many neighborhoods (mine included), there is actually RCN fiber running through neighborhoods -- just not directly to the homes.

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA

1 edit
said by DanD:

quote:
Verizon spent $23 billion building their fiber network and running it to the home.

Believe it or not, RCN actually pioneered this, back in the late'90s.

All cable providers use HFC (Hybrid Fiber Copper) in most areas, otherwise they would never be able to offer VOD and cable modem services would still use the telephone line (dial-up) or DSL for upstream data.