Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Just two months ago...

A matter of a couple of months ago there was stories here where Clear said they want users to use it to there full advantage, no caps, no restrictions, etc....Now this? What did they expect would happen? You don't go to a fat camp and offer all you can eat cake and limit it to one or two slices after you have everyone eating.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
You must live or work near an underutilized tower or tough luck baby!! If the tower near your most frequent usage is over-committed then you will never get near the speeds their 4G service promises.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

that and until they put some more backhaul to that tower. but all services are like that.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

A matter of a couple of months ago there was stories here where Clear said they want users to use it to there full advantage, no caps, no restrictions, etc....Now this? What did they expect would happen? You don't go to a fat camp and offer all you can eat cake and limit it to one or two slices after you have everyone eating.
Yeah, what happened to Clear's "100s of MHZ of spectrum" that all the shills were raving about?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

that and until they put some more backhaul to that tower. but all services are like that.
That seems to be the biggest problem in the wireless industry. Not enough backhaul to their towers to handle the explosion in data usage. And that is all companies - not just Clearwire.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

1 recommendation

reply to swintec
It's called QOS, in order for everyone to have a certain level of service everyone across the network will be be reduced in speed. As more backhaul is provided the speeds will increase to maximize tower utilization. MetroPCS had the same issue when they started offering unlimited voice in Miami, FL. The towers where over their original capacity and dropped calls and QOS had gone out the window, as capacity was increased so was the overall end user experience was better.

It took MetroPCS over a year to get the capacities issues resolved, and even then in more dense area's they still have some capacity issues. QOS will suffer as the demand is greater than the supply, but as long as you can see those issues resolved and their coverage increasing, you can tell whether or not a company is cashing in or actually expanding their reach and coverage.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to FFH5
true. but my comment was actually about ALL providers. Not just wireless. hardwire/landline access is the same way. Any HSI Product can have this issue. DSL due to the amount of people compared to the ATM line that goes to the actual Internet, cable depends on the bandwidth to the node and at the CMTS, etc.

People don't seem to get that though. They just want something always to bitch about and that's basically what this website has become. A website to bitch about what people want and think they deserve; if not, its all hell on here as far as people bitching about it.
--
www.twopugsbrand.com Kosher, Vegan, and Organic Certified Dog and Cat treats/foods and other products! www.etsy.com/shop/snakx4u/ Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan Human Baked Goods

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to patcat88
that is putting out to the EU. NOT in terms of what is being used for backhaul. But while we're on it; where is VZ and their LTE? OH! Still in the lab! OOPS!

jkeelsnc

join:2008-08-22
Greensboro, NC
I agree. Who knows if LTE will even become what VZ or even ATT promise. 3g, 4g, etc are "good" but they cannot provide the kind of service that a cable, DSL, or FTTC connection can. Backhaul is another thing. Of course they are going to oversubscribe service to a point. But its another thing when it is done with abandon and then service (and speeds) suffer. I will give AT&T credit at least on their DSL service. It rarely slows down on me even in the evenings.

jkeelsnc

join:2008-08-22
Greensboro, NC
reply to swintec
Its wireless. I suspect this will always be an issue with wireless service. I don't think you can expect to have a long line buffet table of internet service on a wireless connection. Especially if you live in a large city. The wireless spectrum available to most providers simply will not meet the piggish demands of users who are expecting a real replacement for cable or dsl service.

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to patcat88
nothing happened to it. They're just not using a majority of it at the moment.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to FFH5
Clear's towers are close enough to each other that they can use gigabit backhauls from E-Band and other providers to push some serious bandwidth over those links. The issue is

1) Getting those links online
2) Getting enough bandwidth from the local hub to serve customers in the area

The second issue might be harder to deal with if plant upgrades need to be completed for cpacity increases, since that requires putting fiber in the ground. There's also the issue of not having enough base stations at the top of the tower, limiting last-mile bandwidth. That's under Clear's control though, so it may be more easily fixable.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to patcat88
They have 100MHz of spectrum. I believe they're using 40MHz on a given tower. That actually should be plenty...

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to jkeelsnc
You are so correct.

Wireless phone service was to be for small short term bursts of data, for many users. It has become not only for phone and e-mail or text, but for watching TV, Surfing the internet, Maps and GPS data, Music, Shopping lists and coupons, Near by shopping and dinning and you name it.

No one though you would do these things on a small phone screen, but the phone and screens have gotten better.

Also you have many user getting on these unlimited plans and using the phones unlimited wireless package to drive there home networks internet usage. This can use much more data then can be used by the phone it self as the user interface is much better and you can have many PC's share the connection.

So in the end you will see all wireless package either have a Cap or the network will use QOS/network management to throttle all users to slower speeds. They will have no other choice.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

that is putting out to the EU. NOT in terms of what is being used for backhaul. But while we're on it; where is VZ and their LTE? OH! Still in the lab! OOPS!
So why is Clear capping and throttling if they have 100 mhz of spectrum but are using a fraction of it?

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

They have 100MHz of spectrum. I believe they're using 40MHz on a given tower. That actually should be plenty...
So why is Clear throttling then?

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

You can buy LTE from MetroPCS today, just have your credit card ready.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
that is pre-LTE as everyone says about Clear. But otherwise its still in the lab as nobody is using it but OOOOO! MetroPCS.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to patcat88
because like all carriers they don't have the bandwidth going to the towers. Smart reason eh? Next time think?

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to patcat88
again read above.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to hottboiinnc
I'm pretty sure you arent forced to come here and read and/or post.

But maybe I am wrong......

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

true. but my comment was actually about ALL providers. Not just wireless. hardwire/landline access is the same way. Any HSI Product can have this issue. DSL due to the amount of people compared to the ATM line that goes to the actual Internet, cable depends on the bandwidth to the node and at the CMTS, etc.

People don't seem to get that though. They just want something always to bitch about and that's basically what this website has become. A website to bitch about what people want and think they deserve; if not, its all hell on here as far as people bitching about it.
Would you stop whining about other people? Get off your friggin' high horse already.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

said by iansltx:

So why is Clear throttling then?
more profit if you aren't beefing up your network.
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

patcat88

Jamaica, NY

1 edit
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

because like all carriers they don't have the bandwidth going to the towers. Smart reason eh? Next time think?
You really think Clear has copper T1s feeding the towers? Come on.

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

What happened to 2.5ghz is so much better than LTE ever will and WiMax is tha bomb because it will never run out of capacity. Only 1 million user's and they are having problem's. They make AT&T look fantastic.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

For real, LTE has been out of the lab for a while now.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

that is pre-LTE as everyone says about Clear. But otherwise its still in the lab as nobody is using it but OOOOO! MetroPCS.
Verizon is ready to launch their's, and right off the bat it will be better than Clear's.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport