uniqs

vkr

join:2001-04-03
Terra

vkr to Wastelands

to Wastelands

Re: Partition Table is Bad

said by Wastelands:
So, I can use the HD utility to rewrite the bootstrap/MBR without losing the data on the drive?
No. It will wipe out the MBR and Partition table.
said by Wastelands:
If necessary, I could move everything off of that HD.
How can you move anything off it, if you can't read it?

Are any drives visible?

Are you trying to save data in a partition that is no longer visible?

How was the drive paritioned before the failure?

Wastelands
Premium Member
join:2001-11-10
Irving, TX

Wastelands

Premium Member

The only problem I have is/was trying to run Partition Magic. Everything else is working normally. All of the programs run, I can access all of the partitions and the computer boots without any errors.

However, I need to re-partition my old HD and partition my new HD as I don't have enough space for Linux (old HD) and I want my new HD (20 gigs) split into partitions. I originally setup the partitions using Partition Magic.

Whenever I try to run PM I get the following error: Init failed: Error 100. Partition table is bad

I tried fdisk /MBR to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I've since upgraded to XP Pro and discovered that Partition Magic 6 will not work on the NTFS file system. So, I'm going to pick up a copy of PM7 this weekend, as it is compatible.

If it won't work either, I guess I'll have no choice but to wipe all of the partitions as well. It will be a tight fit, but I can probably get all of my files into 20 gigs. ;o)

vkr

join:2001-04-03
Terra

vkr

As I stated earlier, fdisk /mbr won't fix the problem, since it doesn't touch the partition table.

Try Partition Magic 7 and hope for the best. It may be able to handle the condition that Partition Magic 6 can't.

Personally, I'd evacuate all data off the drive and clean install.

Getting a partition table error would cause me concern. I'd hate for the problem to get worse later and not be able to read the drive.

Wastelands
Premium Member
join:2001-11-10
Irving, TX

Wastelands

Premium Member

Okay, I guess that's what I'll do then. Thanks for all of your help! =o)

One good thing, I just installed XP. So, I already have everything backed up. Once I get everything moved off, it should be smooth sailing. Hopefully!