FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Verizon blocking OpenDNS is bogus claim

»www.digitalsociety.org/2 ··· ebunked/

Another Net Neutrality ‘violation’ debunked.

In yet another case of a made-up conspiracy like the Craigslist blocking incident to drum up support for Internet regulation, opendns founder David Ulevitch is misleading the public about Verizon Wireless supposedly blocking opendns servers.  Ulevitch claims that Verizon Wireless is blocking opendns which is an ad-supported Domain Name Service (DNS).

I’ve asked various people to test opendns blocking who have access to Verizon Wireless and I’ve gotten a response from someone within Verizon.  He tested his Verizon Wireless data service from a PC tethered to his Droid (Android OS) phone and verified that opendns is not blocked.  To verify this personally, I went to a Verizon Wireless store and tested a netbook with built-in Verizon 3G access.  I successfully queried an opendns server using the “nslookup” command proving that Verizon Wireless was not blocking access to opendns.  I also bought a 2-year contract with free MiFi device and tested it on my own computer from home and opendns still works perfectly fine.

So what in the world could Ulevitch be complaining about?  Is it the Android OS based phones which has nothing to do with the network?  I quick Google search on Android OS DNS settings is that it’s easy to set in Wi-Fi but the setting is less exposed in the mobile network interface (3G).  But the 5th search result pointing to a forum post at XDA-Developers indicates that the setting can be configured with the “setprop” command in Android OS (which is a Linux based operating system).

Furthermore, the bigger threat and alternative to opendns is Google DNS which is a faster DNS service because Google owns more servers that are distributed across the Internet.  So it’s Google that Mr. Ulevitch should be concerned about and not some imaginary blocking at Verizon Wireless.

Also Verizon has denied they are blocking opendns:
»Has David gone off the deep end?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

It may be bogus for VZW but last time I checked, Sprint is redirecting.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to FFH5

to FFH5
I don't think its bogus i lost internet on some BBs and data cards i have that are hard coded for opendns in the system settings.