Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

If I become unemployed....

The TV will be the first to go if i lose my job. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I love watching Discovery Channel, History Channel, the Military Channel, and all the live sporting events in true HD. I have watched streaming alternatives to these stations and I hate the quality and especially the reliability of the sporting events online. Mainly because they are streamed illegally. Nothing replaces true 1080i HD quality that I get through any of the providers out there.

If you are still thinking about dropping cable TV, then call Comcast and say you are disconnecting your service. They will give you an incentive to stay. Ask my parents and the dozens of others who call into comcast every 6 months. My parents haven't paid full price for Comcast service in over 5 years.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

tlylework

@steadfast.net
I do not have Comcast, but I can only imagine this means an increase for me on Uverse as well. I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by tlylework :

I do not have Comcast, but I can only imagine this means an increase for me on Uverse as well. I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

If I could only get ESPN, FSD, and other networks that show live sporting events OTA.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tlylework
said by tlylework :

I guess I'll be getting me a digital Antenna soon. OTA is much cheaper.

Get it while you can. I know AT&T, Comcast, and the likes have lobbyists trying to get OTA taken off the air.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by Rob:

said by tlylework :

Get it while you can. I know AT&T, Comcast, and the likes have lobbyists trying to get OTA taken off the air.

OTA is not going away anytime soon. The basic networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all make money off advertising OTA. They would need to sign exclusive deals that pay them through the nose to make it worthwhile to shut down OTA broadcasts.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nightfall:

said by Rob:

said by tlylework :

OTA is not going away anytime soon. The basic networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all make money off advertising OTA. They would need to sign exclusive deals that pay them through the nose to make it worthwhile to shut down OTA broadcasts.

And you think NBC will be OTA once Comcast buys them?
--

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by Rob:

Do you really think it won't?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by LeftOfSanity:

said by Rob:

Let's wait and see then.
--

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

If you are still thinking about dropping cable TV, then call Comcast and say you are disconnecting your service. They will give you an incentive to stay. Ask my parents and the dozens of others who call into comcast every 6 months. My parents haven't paid full price for Comcast service in over 5 years.

This seems to be market-specific. A lot of people I know who've tried it actually had Comcast call their bluffs.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by pnh102:

said by Nightfall:

This seems to be market-specific. A lot of people I know who've tried it actually had Comcast call their bluffs.

Actually, its customer care specific. Comcast calls your bluff, make your disconnect date 2 weeks out because "your satellite dish will be installed then". Call back next day, get a new rep, try again.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Rob
said by Rob:

said by LeftOfSanity:

said by Rob:

Let's wait and see then.

OTA isn't going anywhere. Anyone stating otherwise really is "chicken little". There is no evidence it will be disappearing.
--

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by Nightfall:

The I'll quit and go elsewhere only works where Comcast knows the customer has viable cost effective alternatives like Verizon Fios. If your options are 1.5 mbps DSL & DirecTV, they are liable to call your bluff.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Not in my case. They told me if I left then that's your prerogative. It wasn't until I actually cancelled service that they called me asking why I left.

hui

@comcast.net
reply to Nightfall
1080p is better

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
said by hui :

1080p is better

No one is broadcasting in 1080p except for a few On Demand movie channels.
--

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1
reply to Rob
Do you have any sources on that? Would be a very interesting read.