uniqs
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer to Ommina

to Ommina

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

said by Ommina:

Thank you for the post.

Any suggestion on what kind of price I should expect for switching phone and Internet alone, no TV? (Phone and Internet are the two services I have with Shaw, so, yes, I'll be dropping them completely.) Would need to be a more robust phone package than the basic, as well.

Hm. Maybe I should just post this on the Telus forum.

Have you been getting promotional mail from Telus? If yes, you can use that as the starting point for your negotiations. Regardless, you should be paying less than what is on the Telus web-site.

For just phone & Internet (15 mbps), aim for $17 per month permanent pricing, and $23 per month for High-Speed Turbo 15 mbps for the first year. With no rentals fees, disconnect fees, or contracts.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

said by Roofer:

For just phone & Internet (15 mbps), aim for $17 per month permanent pricing, and $23 per month for High-Speed Turbo 15 mbps for the first year. With no rentals fees, disconnect fees, or contracts.

I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from but you are way off. Telus phone is $21/mo, like Shaw's, and internet is usually $31 for 6mbps. Turbo (15mbps) is usually $45/month. Telus charges $26 without internet normally for the basic phone service.
Roofer

Roofer

said by nss_tech:

said by Roofer:

I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from but you are way off. Telus phone is $21/mo, like Shaw's, and internet is usually $31 for 6mbps. Turbo (15mbps) is usually $45/month. Telus charges $26 without internet normally for the basic phone service.

I know of 3 friends who got those prices in the last 2 months (I can post a copy of one of those bills if you like). You should not have to pay the prices that are on Telus' web-site, those are for people who do not want to do any bargaining.

If you currently have a service with Telus (for example, phone for $24), you can phone and ask if they will match Shaw's digital phone $14.99 offer which they are mailing to everyone. They will transfer you to the loyalty department, and they will immediately offer you $17. Then ask them what they can do for you if you want to transfer Shaw Internet to Telus, and they will offer you either $23 for HS Turbo, or $15-$15-$15 for all 3 services, for the first 12 months.

But I keep harping that the price savings is only of secondary importance. I would have made the switch even if there were no savings, just to send a message to Shaw.
gonz
join:2006-04-28
Vancouver, BC

gonz

said by Roofer:I would have made the switch even if there were no savings, just to send a message to Shaw.

I'm thinking this way as well.

Jack44
@shawcable.net

Jack44

Anon

Indeed, this is downright abhorrent!

timerider2
join:2010-12-19

timerider2 to Roofer

to Roofer
WOW I keep seeing some unbelievable prices on TELUS services, are these to good to be true or require some kind of special negotiating ability. I am phoning tomorrow to switch from SHAW to TELUS internet and I'm really nervous about this kind of stuff. It sounds like if you know what to say you get great deals and if you don't you get no deal. I just checked my TELUS phone bill and I pay $44 a month, lower down it says "Smart Home Bundle - 3 Pack $38.34", am I already way overpaying because I've never phoned to say, "hey can I get a better deal". I am really dreading having to try to say the right things to get the best deal, does anyone have any tips I'm freaking out here. I am not interested in TV and just want to get the 15mbps Turbo and my home phone with call display/voicemail.
Roofer

3 edits

Roofer

said by timerider2:

WOW I keep seeing some unbelievable prices on TELUS services, are these to good to be true or require some kind of special negotiating ability. I am phoning tomorrow to switch from SHAW to TELUS internet and I'm really nervous about this kind of stuff. It sounds like if you know what to say you get great deals and if you don't you get no deal. I just checked my TELUS phone bill and I pay $44 a month, lower down it says "Smart Home Bundle - 3 Pack $38.34", am I already way overpaying because I've never phoned to say, "hey can I get a better deal". I am really dreading having to try to say the right things to get the best deal, does anyone have any tips I'm freaking out here. I am not interested in TV and just want to get the 15mbps Turbo and my home phone with call display/voicemail.

You are the perfect candidate for getting the good pricing, because you are already a Telus customer. Phone and tell them you received a Shaw offer for Digital Phone $14.95, and what they will do to keep you. They will most likely transfer you to the loyalty department. Negotiate the best price you can for the phone (make sure to ask whether there are monthly administrative charges for long distance, which is a rip-off).

After that, ask what they will offer you to have Internet. If you are currently on Shaw Extreme, the equivalent package is High Speed Turbo. You should get first month free, and $23 for the next 11 months, and $45 thereafter. Make sure to ask them whether the modem rental is included (it should be), and that you are not locked into a contract.

If they don't transfer you to the loyal department, phone back and talk to another rep. Let us know how it works out. Even if there is no cost savings, I would still cancel Shaw out of principle.

[Edit] If they ask you for details, tell them the Shaw letter saids $14.95 for the Shaw Home Phone Basic which has no cost Shaw to Shaw calling even long-distance, call display, and 4 cents per minute in North America and 50 other countries. The promotion code is 619.

timerider2
join:2010-12-19

timerider2

Thanks Roofer, I'm nervous but I'm gonna bite the bullet and follow your advise to the letter. I should sue SHAW for all the stress I've been through over the cap/overcharging issue. Wish me luck everybody, hopefully reporting back with my experience will make it easier for other SHAW people to make the switch.