share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to BlueC

Re: Are we talking about 768K Down?

said by BlueC:

Well, they're calling it "$10 broadband". I consider it unethical to label a service that does not meet the definition of the said service.

Whatever they call it, it's good that they are offering high speed internet to low income people for educational purposes.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
I guess I (as well as others) have a different definition of "high speed". $10/mo to offer such slow speeds isn't all that heroic in my mind. DOCSIS 3.0 gives them the ability to easily bump up the economy tier to something more reasonable.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
I am in an area that has not yet been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 so the speed for the retention price of $24.95 per month is 768K Down. I can get 3Mbps down from Centurylink for $24.99 per month if bundled with voice service.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to BlueC
said by BlueC:

I guess I (as well as others) have a different definition of "high speed". $10/mo to offer such slow speeds isn't all that heroic in my mind. DOCSIS 3.0 gives them the ability to easily bump up the economy tier to something more reasonable.

Those who want faster speeds via DOCSIS3 can pay full price for it. This is basically welfare for those who would normally be on dialup. It doesn't have to be "reasonable" just good enough. 1.5Mbps is good enough for school work, assignments and research.

It's like the free subsidized cellphones that provide 200 minutes every month. You won't be yakking away every day but you will be able to call for help in an emergency or maybe talk a few minutes per day with family so that they are in touch.

That's the whole point. Assistance for those who need it. Not something "heroic" or "reasonable" but simply the bare basics that someone can make minimal use of.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Mr Matt
People are actually complaining about $10 per month broadband service? This reminds me of the whole bird feeder analogy. Beggars can't be choosers.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
I'm not complaining about $10/mo broadband service.

I'm criticizing Comcast for acting all heroic by claiming they're delivering "$10/mo broadband" services to low income families. When clearly, 1.5mbps does not meet the broadband definition published by the FCC.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
I don't think Comcast wants to be heroic. They are doing this primarily as a goodwill gesture to satisfy legislators. Comcast is a business and I'm sure their shareholders wouldn't be happy if they were giving away decent speeds at a steal of a price.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by BlueC:

Those who want faster speeds via DOCSIS3 can pay full price for it. This is basically welfare for those who would normally be on dialup. It doesn't have to be "reasonable" just good enough. 1.5Mbps is good enough for school work, assignments and research.

How quickly we forget...
1.5mbps is a T1[for downloads anyway]
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by BlueC:

Well, they're calling it "$10 broadband". I consider it unethical to label a service that does not meet the definition of the said service.

Whatever they call it, it's good that they are offering high speed internet to low income people for educational purposes.

But only if one has Children and only for 3 years, I have No Children, I'm just very low income, Thankfully I'm not in range of Comcastic service.