Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

"Big refund for missing channels"

From what I can gather, we will get about $3 a month for these missing channels.

And it will cost about $4 per month to keep them.

This whole pricing model seems off to me. Why on earth would channels be demanding money to be on cable networks? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If anything, they should agree to help out each other, and no one charge anyone anything...

Without the cable networks, there wouldn't be many of these channels.

edit: typo

--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by gatorkram:

From what I can gather, we will get about $3 a month for these missing channels.

And it will cost about $4 per month to keep them.

This whole pricing model seems off to me. Why on earth would channels be demanding money to be on cable networks? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If anything, they should agree to help out each other, and no one charge anyone anything...

Without the cable networks, there wouldn't be many of these channels.

edit: typo

i totally agree. while cable op's do make a profit on even basic cable. i have to imagen that atleast 80% of the price we pay goes to the content providers (im basing this on assumption, some one correct me if im wrong please). the content providers are double dipping, there getting paid by US (sub fee's) and by the advertisers.

we should have a-la-carte so you pay a base fee, then you pay the exact price for the channels you want. then the content providers would have to EARN that money by making GOOD programs that people want to watch. instead as it stands now they just force the cable op's to get "packages" and pay for each channel, no matter how crappy the content.

it will probably never happen. i mean i dont see why a cable op would be against it. the network fee would cover their profits for TV and ofcourse they can keep over charging for internet and phone (my opinion here, but $45 for VOIP phone is by no means what they actually pay for it. including upkeep) in this way if any of the content providers want to raise their rates it goes directly to the customers.

i mean really. once a year i get a channel lineup with my bill (just got it wednesday actually) how about when they send one of these out, they put the PRICE of each and every channel next to the channel, along with what company owns said channels.

maybe then people will start to "get it" that its not ALL WAYS the cable companys fault.