Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

How's Your January 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax Speeds?

Hello, all,

Get your piping hot new January Sprint WiMax Speed thread here.

I'll lead things off:

Happy New Year!

mojo1

join:2006-12-05
Victoria, TX

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
My WIMAX speeds with 4G antenna turned on is 15.00/1.5 turned off I get 15.44/1.38. So much fo rthe "Rich" 4G content that my EVO 4G is supposed to provide for only an additional 10.00 a month extra. Just another fleecing of the customer. Love the phone and what it should be able to do but it doesn't deliver an additional 10.00 a month more in value at 4G (which is "supposed" to be available-but I doubt it).

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Okay, I confess I'm confused. Your first sentence concerns the difference, or lack thereof, that you find by turning on and/or turning off your external 4G antenna, as I understand it.

Your last three sentences seem to focus on the lack of interesting 4G content available on your EVO.

In other words, the first half of the message seems to be talking about apples while the second half talks of pears. I'm missing the connection between the two.

Are you, for example, using your external 4G antenna on your phone? Is that the connection between the two halves of the message? Alternately, is the connection between the two halves of your message the fact that you consider 15 down/1.5 up a basis for concluding that 4G content isn't very rich? Frankly, I have a feeling you mean neither of those things.

So could you clarify? Thanks.

For what it's worth, while my 4G WiMax speeds (see my message above) don't seem to be in any trouble, an external antenna is always of interest theoretically. However a cursory examination of my U600 modem doesn't reveal an obvious port for one; perhaps it doesn't have one or perhaps I missed it.

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs

criggs

New York, NY
Thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten to post my speed today!

Here it is:

Happy surfing.

xchpstang5

join:2007-05-20
Turlock, CA
reply to criggs

Sprint 4G desktop modem.
Previous Clear modem, exact model as this Sprint one couldn't break 1.5 so definitely throttling going on with Clear.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by xchpstang5:

Previous Clear modem, exact model as this Sprint one couldn't break 1.5 so definitely throttling going on with Clear.

Yes, that's the only thing I've been hearing from Sprint 4G customers. One poster in this forum suggested that the reason why the throttling curse hasn't hit Sprint 4G customers yet is because Sprint 4G customer numbers are a tiny fraction of Clear's 4G subscribers. I'm not yet convinced. The fact is that, regardless of what one thinks of Sprint's tech support (and I've lost count of how many horror stories I could tell you), I've never heard anything about Sprint throttling anyone, whether on 3G or 4G or whatever. I'm happy to be told that the full record will reveal otherwise, but I am increasingly starting to believe that Sprint is sorta hoping it'll be able to get away without throttling anyone.

Part of their "brand", their business model, if you will, is to offer unlimited, period, paragraph, end of discussion, like their Simply Everything voice plan for $100 a month, which I have. It's part of the market niche they've carved out for themselves, I think, and throttling would tarnish that perhaps (sort of like Millenicom's allergy to overage charges).

No one can foretell the future, and few of us are flies on the wall in Sprint's corporate headquarters. Obviously I might be proved wrong tomorrow, or even today, as reports could surface FOR THE FIRST TIME of Sprint throttling these or those 4G customers. But the fact of the matter is it hasn't happened yet.

And, just to keep this thread on track, here's my speed report for today:

shore

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to criggs

I'm using the Sprint 4G desktop modem (Motorola) as well.

My only concern is that my ISP is given as Clearwire. (I realize that Sprint owns a majority of Clearwire.) Does this mean that I may be subject to Clearwire's throttling policy and not Sprint's?

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
I tried tethering my Evo via USB today and, it works! I thought Sprint took it away awhile back. When I first got the phone, the USB tether worked, and then an update took it away.

Seems like the speeds are much better with the USB connection vs. wifi. If this keeps up, I can ditch the $30/mo hotspot feature!

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to shore
said by shore :

My only concern is that my ISP is given as Clearwire...Does this mean that I may be subject to Clearwire's throttling policy and not Sprint's?

Excellent question; I'm afraid I don't know. There's probably something like a one in 20 shot that Sprint Tech Support might know the answer.

It would also be interesting to know whether your account is bonded to Clearwire, for some reason, no matter where you are, or whether you're just on a Clearwire connection in that specific geographical area. Have you traveled 50 miles or so to see whether you're still seen as a Clearwire user instead of a Sprint user?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to shore
If you signed up with Sprint you are using their terms, not Clear
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
Wow, even better from home. Tried USB tethering with the wife's phone, but received an error message that the phone is not subscribed to hotspot. At least Sprint is now letting me tether via USB for my $30. And, the speeds are much better (so far).

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to Jim_in_VA
Interesting. It looks like shore and xchpstang are using the Sprint desktop 4G modem and showing up with Clearwire as the ISP. But everyone else with USB modems/4G phones show up as Sprint.

shore

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to criggs

I haven't traveled with the modem yet, as it can only be hooked to a computer (or to a router) via cable.

The free trial period lasts 30 days, so I will try downloading some big files over the next week and see if that triggers some sort of throttling.

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs

ticktock8

join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL
reply to criggs
First time posting, so pls forgive if I do so incorrectly. 5.57 Down, .94 up. Been a Sprint 4G customer for 1 week, and generally pleased. I was a Sprint 3G for a few years, and equally pleased. Have the Motorola desktop modem. Highest around 9, lowest around 1.5. Set up in basement, so might do better upstairs but this meets all of my needs (web surf, you tube, net flicks). When speeds get low, I just unplug power wait a minute, plug back in - and usually get to what you see here or higher. Saw posting about ISP showing as Clearwire, mine has that as well, and was equally confused. I could swear it showed Sprint and then it changed to Clearwire. Odd. Hope my paste of the SpeedTest.net image shows.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
said by ticktock8:

Highest around 9, lowest around 1.5...When speeds get low, I just unplug power wait a minute, plug back in - and usually get to what you see here or higher...I could swear it showed Sprint and then it changed to Clearwire.

You really shouldn't be getting speeds lower, on average, than 3Mb/s. If you're frequently getting speeds as low as 1.5 then there's a problem somewhere, and you should probably mention it to Sprint.

That is VERY peculiar that when your speeds drop into the mud you can get it back by cycling power. First, is there a possibility that your speeds are dropping due to throttling? If that's the case, maybe the fact that Clearwire is showing up in your speed tests rather than Sprint is more than just a quirk; perhaps you've really been dumped into the throttled Clear pile.

But whether it's a technical problem or throttling, it's still odd that recycling power gets you back your speed.

How often do you experience speeds slower than 3 megs, meaning how often do you have to cycle power to get your speed back?

And, just to keep this thread roughly on message, here's my speed tests result from today:

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
Still holding up despite our impending Snowmageddon here in Atlanta.

ticktock8

Saint Charles, IL
reply to mojo1
Great observation. I also have the desktop 4G and it shows up as Clearwire.

ticktock8

Saint Charles, IL
reply to criggs
This is something to keep an eye on, for sure. The low speeds have only happened twice - so call it rare. Although I have no technical expertise, I think the power thing is not all that different then when someone has a lousy cell connection and hangs up to call again. That, at least, was my thinking when I first attempted it - and it worked. I am generally aware of the throttle problem over at Clear but never seem to get a handle on the threshold that puts one in the penalty box.

btw = today is a good day for performance, as illustrated below. Speeds like this is all I'll ever need. As long as I'm above 3 I'm a happy camper (or surfer). Thanks for your insight.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to criggs
So I figured it was time for me to update my Sprint 4G WiMax speed results.

So I went to Speedtest.net and a Really Odd Thing happened.

Every time I loaded, it kept telling me that my closest servers were in -- wait for it -- ENGLAND!!!

The four servers helpfully offered to me were in the marvelously picturesque and delightful towns of Maidstone, Ashford, Sittingbourne (pronounded shorn) and Canterbury.

Blimey!!!

Quite puzzled and intrigued, I ran the speed test from Canterbury, just to see what would happen. Here was the result:

Note that the results are fairly typical, in comparison to the results I normally get (as you can see elsewhere in this thread), --

-- with one ginormous exception: take a look at that distance figure: 3550 miles!!! WTF?????!!!!!

So, just to be complete, I scooted over to my normal testing area on the Speedtest map, the Northeastern seaboard, and picked a server near New York city which normally gives me consistent results, Red Bank, New Jersey. Here are those results:

As you will note, these results were ALSO fairly typical of my results elsewhere in this thread.

Except for one even more peculiar fact; I got a distance figure of 5400 miles, even farther than the Canterbury figure.

Really, what gives, you know????!!!!

Anyone who has any ideas about what might be happening here is welcome to chime in. This is sure a new one on me, a VERY new one!

mojo1

Victoria, TX
Speedtest.net utilizes geolocation technology based on your IP address to determine the closest test site. Usually, it recommends somewhere in Kansas, Florida, North Carolina, or sometimes even Atlanta. It looks like they have some outdated data. Mine has come up in various European countries as well lately.

When this happens, I check my IP at maxmind.com and it seems to be more accurate location-wise.

The really funny part is the ads that load on the page. Some are displaying in Scandivanian or Finnish or something like that. Who knew hot singles from Finland wanted to chat with me?

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to criggs
said by mojo1:

When this happens, I check my IP at maxmind.com and it seems to be more accurate location-wise.

Fascinating; I did so and it tells me I'm in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. At least I'm back in America!

So I had Speedtest run a test in the nearest location which, as far as I could tell, was Baltimore. The result was in spec but, very curiously, they were NOT as good as what I got from Canterbury, England! Here it is:

said by mojo1:

The really funny part is the ads that load on the page. Some are displaying in Scandivanian or Finnish or something like that. Who knew hot singles from Finland wanted to chat with me?

Yep, I've been getting those foreign-language ads too! That was so peculiar I figured I wouldn't mention it cause no one would believe me!

Anyway I decided to look around to see which server gave me the smallest distance figure.

After a lot of triangulating and testing, I finally found a server which I was informed was only 400 miles away from me. Here are those results:

As you can see, these results are well within Sprint's minimum upload/download specs (though that ping speed is, -- hmmm).

So I now know where Speedtest thinks I am. I am apparently vacationing in Accra, Ghana. Odd; looks just like New York City.

And that still leaves the question as to why Speedtest is picking southern England for my test server.

Curiouser and curiouser.

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs

criggs

New York, NY
Hey, mojo1, how you doing?

Here are my results today:

Have a fun Saturday!

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to criggs

Sprint/Clear just turned on 4G coverage today. I had my overdrive on, which showed 4G for the first time at home. Finally!

criggs

New York, NY
And I see your speeds are in spec too. Congratulations!

stonecat

join:2009-11-27
Saint Cloud, MN
reply to criggs

stonecat

join:2009-11-27
Saint Cloud, MN
reply to criggs