daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: FCC & SamKnows

Yes, you're right- I probably don't really understand Proxo, since I have never used (or needed to use) any proxy servers.

I recall (from your posts in the Security forum) that you use all sorts of programs for security/privacy. Is there some chance that one or more of these is preventing the Netgear router from working for you? Almost certainly, this router was designed for a "typical" customer who uses only anti-virus/anti-spyware, runs Windows natively (no virtual machines) and uses a modern browser (such as IE8). If you were to set up like this, quite possibly at least some of the Netgear's problems would vanish.

Pretty much 100% probable that the Netgear designers never even considered that one of their customers would be using the programs that you do, so no testing would have been done to see how these programs affect the router's operation.
daveinpoway

daveinpoway

Premium Member

For those who are interested, here is the manufacturer's web page for the WNR3500L: »kb.netgear.com/app/produ ··· id/12150 .

Under "Documentation" are the Data Sheet, Installation Guide and Setup Manual. Questions regarding the meaning of various lights, etc., can be answered here.

There is also some firmware shown under "Downloads", but this is most likely for a store-bought router, and thus probably does not provide the special features that the FCC-supplied router has.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

Also, there is not a detail "Users Guide" manual, which I've looked for, so I can get a start on understanding how to migrate the settings I have on my current AirLink101 router. However, I ought to be able to wade through their UI to figure stuff out.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

There is also some firmware shown under "Downloads", but this is most likely for a store-bought router, and thus probably does not provide the special features that the FCC-supplied router has.

Samknows firmware repository is here:
»files.samknows.com/~support/

Samknows general FAQ:
»fcc.samknows.com/faq.html

FAQ on bridging mode here:
»reporting.samknows.com/b ··· ing.html

Alternative FQDN to access router setup if »www.routerlogin.net/ or »192.168.1.1 doesn't work:
»netgearsetup.samknows.com/

Netgear support page on the WNR3500L N300:
»kb.netgear.com/app/produ ··· id/12150

Netgear instruction guide on the WNR3500L N300:
»ftp://downloads.netgear.com/fi ··· 2010.pdf

Openrouter project page for the WNR3500L:
»www.myopenrouter.com/cat ··· e-Router
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

I recall (from your posts in the Security forum) that you use all sorts of programs for security/privacy. Is there some chance that one or more of these is preventing the Netgear router from working for you? Almost certainly, this router was designed for a "typical" customer who uses only anti-virus/anti-spyware, runs Windows natively (no virtual machines) and uses a modern browser (such as IE8). If you were to set up like this, quite possibly at least some of the Netgear's problems would vanish.

Pretty much 100% probable that the Netgear designers never even considered that one of their customers would be using the programs that you do, so no testing would have been done to see how these programs affect the router's operation.

No, I only use Avira Personal antivirus version 8 and ProcessGuard. For the rare occasion that I need to use IE6 I have Spyware Blaster kept up to date but all that does is set the killbit on nasty Active X programs. It does not run in real time. The Proxomitron provides some security (it blocks some iframes, etc) but is not really a security application per se. I think folks must ASSUME I have tons of security programs because I don't get malware.

Netgear did not design the firmware as the router uses SPECIAL SK firmware so it can run these tests. I have had ZERO problems with my Linsky with the exception of the password bug after enabling UPnP and the DHCP problems all the earlier Linksy routers have. The Linksy though doesn't have extraneous junk attached like this Netgear does. Plus, the Netgear settings page is a huge hodgepodge of stuff all thrown together without apparent rhyme or reason. Plus, way too much extraneous stuff that certainly isn't needed for FCC tests. We should have been given a small device to attach to our current routers that does the tests or software similar to Visualware's MySpeed Advanced (now MyConnection Advanced) that I own and let that do the tests. Visualware can set a specific server of theirs to do all sorts of sophisticated tests on my connection. THEY set up the server ....I don't. The tests MySpeed Advanced does are much more than just download and upload speed and SK could have used some software like this and added tests for DNS servers, ping times, etc. Visualware's tests are highly sophisticated and their sofare runs fine on my XP. Plus, I can access my tests on their server, etc.
Mele20

Mele20 to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

For those who are interested, here is the manufacturer's web page for the WNR3500L: »kb.netgear.com/app/produ ··· id/12150 .

Under "Documentation" are the Data Sheet, Installation Guide and Setup Manual. Questions regarding the meaning of various lights, etc., can be answered here.

That says some stuff (like written instructions) should have been included in the box but wasn't. The box contained a piece of paper with SK instructions but that didn't tell me what the lights mean. Maybe SK didn't want the instructions in there since the firmware is different? The SK instructions was a web address where you enter your email address and get hookup instructions for your ISP but that had nothing about the lights or about not using the stand, etc. And none of that is on the Netgear setup page. It might be on the CD but we were told to not use the CD.

The blue light was the WIRELESS turning itself on every hour when the router would disconnect and then come back. I had the wireless turned OFF in the settings. The manual says NOTHING about having to use IE. It just mentions using a browser. Netgear says several times as a WARNING to NOT use the router behind another router. The problems may mostly be because I am trying to use it bridged. Plus, I noticed last night that it will not stay in the off position for dns. I don't want any chance that the router handles dns because SK has it setup to test an absolute crap backup dns server way off in Denver. SK says they test the dns on their end and we can use whatever dns servers we want yet the router won't let me do that or just turn off dns so I can be sure the computer handles it and uses other Oceanic DNS servers besides the one RR one instead of that backup server in Denver that is as slow as Moses.

The manual also said to be sure to use the stand! I removed the stand and turned the router on its side so I don't have see that blue light that for some reason flares out very bright and smeared looking at night. I can't see the router turned on its side as it is on the top of the shelf at the back of my computer desk. I have to stand up to see it or to see the Linksy lights. Maybe it was getting hot on its side. A MANUAL inside the box would have been a big help!

The manual describes a way to turn every thing on after setting it all up that is odd and would not work with my modem.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

I can't recall the details, but you had some sort of problem a few months ago, and you finally indicated that it had been caused by some program you were running. This is why I suspected that at least a portion of the problems you are having with the router might be due to your software.

Unfortunately, a paper manual is a thing of the past with many products. Most of the time, these days, you get a CD with the manual included. Reduces costs for the manufacturer.

With your concerns about security, I am surprised that you enabled UPnP (a known security issue) on your Linksys router. Most business-grade routers (there are a few exceptions) do not even provide a means to enable this, since it is not expected that the IT department would ever wish to do it.