Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

Helping Grandmothers

EVERY grandmother I know would have fared better - much better - under Time Warner Cable's metered use proposal.

I can't speak to other carriers, but thanks to you and yours, those grandmothers continue to overpay today.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by elray:

EVERY grandmother I know would have fared better - much better - under Time Warner Cable's metered use proposal.

I can't speak to other carriers, but thanks to you and yours, those grandmothers continue to overpay today.

WRONG. You're a fool if you think ISPs would actually LOWER prices. Yes they're for losing MILLIONS or even BILLIONS in revenue.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
reply to elray
said by elray:

The honest truth is that those who use their connections less, are probably going to go with a lower tier, as they won't be dealing with much applications that demand higher throughput.

Same can be said with heavy users and higher tiers.

Tiers work, metered use does not.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 edit
reply to elray
Um, there are cheaper plans... tell those you believe are overpaying to go with a lower tier of service...

Cox, for example, has 4 tiers. Prices are VERY reasonable for the lower two.

edit: DSL pricing is generally "tiered" as well. AT&T, for example, has some dirt cheap options.

I don't see anything wrong with the current pricing setup, other than lack of deployment/real competition in various areas.
If you can't afford "turbo" internet, there are still options that allow fast enough access to get by with (compared to dial up internet speeds).

UBB is a sham, plain as can be. There are no obvious benefits to customers, otherwise we'd have seen it years ago without any backlash. Instead, providers offered faster and faster speeds, and where available, have usually provided slower tiers at dirt cheap prices...

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to elray
Translation: Your grandmother is better off without internet.

UBB is only a benefit to people who rarely use anything at all. ("the few") And an expensive burden to everyone else. ("the many") Charging people *less* money is not how you increase profits.

Neither of my grandparents ever had internet access, but they also never owned a computer, or ever had cable TV. (or touchtone phones for that matter -- Bellsouth charged extra for TT for something like 20 f'ing YEARS. Their rotary phones worked just fine -- and still do to this day.)

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
reply to elray
And just WTF has metered billing to do with your grandma's paying for the wrong package?

chuck car

@teksavvy.com
reply to BlueC
Browsing the web and reading email usually busts a 2 gigabyte a month cap on Bell dsl (wired not wireless). Thank your lucky stars you don't live in Canada.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
said by chuck car :

Browsing the web and reading email usually busts a 2 gigabyte a month cap on Bell dsl (wired not wireless). Thank your lucky stars you don't live in Canada.

Indeed. I have no cap on my connection, yet I'm not paying through the nose for it. And yet..... still no congestion. Funny how that works.

It's unfortunate what goes on in Canada.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to kamm
Actually, this is extraordinarily easy.

As granny doesn't want more than a few megabytes moved per month, lower her bill way down, to like 5 or 10 dollars per month (to cover equipment maintenance, the bulk of the equipment power consumption, billing, the hopefully very infrequent support call, etc.) plus a cent or two per megabyte, or something close. Even at the lowest TWC (for example) tier, $14.95 I think it is, you're still talking on the order of $5/mo. of savings. But that is very much the exception to the rule.

After a while, it adds up. It has little to do with subscribing to too high a tier.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
What "lite" tier? Their web ordering crap shows only the standard (40$) and turbo (70$) tiers. And their CSR's don't know wtf it is either. (the best I can find today is "per market" but then cannot find anything in any market) The last number I saw a few years ago was $19.95/month for stupid low speeds.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
Yeah, I'd tend to agree, the plan's not easy to find. I have the standard RR tier, but my 77yo cost-conscious mom for example is on a lower speed than me. I haven't looked at the bill, but I have to believe my mom would never settle for paying the ~$45 I am.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY
reply to elray
said by elray:

And this guy clearly has no clue. What happened? Cosmopolitans forum under maintenance?

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298
There is nothing stopping the ISPs from adding a bill-by-the-byte plan for grannies that only get on-line once a week to retrieve three e-mail messages from the grand kids.

However, I would guess that if EVERY grandmother contracted for this plan, more than a few would be FLOORED when they received an outrageous bill caused by one grand kid e-mail that contained a YouTube link. Furthermore, they wouldn't understand why. They would most likely equate USAGE with TIME and may not understand the difference between being "on-line" reading text e-mails (hundreds of KB) vs. being "on-line" watching a video (hundreds of MB). To satisfy them, the cable company would likely have to create an app to show them their usage as they do various tasks. Eventually they would learn but until they did, it would be a PR disaster.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to elray
Being a grandmother has nothing to do with this. My wife, your wife, your sister, your daughter and my niece will likely be grandmothers one day and I dont think their internet usage will decrease that much.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by elray:

WRONG. You're a fool if you think ISPs would actually LOWER prices. Yes they're for losing MILLIONS or even BILLIONS in revenue.

They'd still make their profit. Just not as much on grandmothers subsidizing data hogs. Instead, heavy users would have the opportunity to buy fast, unlimited bandwidth, at an appropriate price, rather than expecting the rest of us to pay the same rate.

We've see the wireless carriers lower prices for data.
We've seen the cellular carriers do the same for voice usage.
ISPs *WILL* offer lower rates to attract and retain subscribers.

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to elray
said by elray:

I'm not sure who you mean by "you and yours". But consider this. In preparation for UBB, prices were fixed to cover UBB's increased costs to the ISPs. Guess what your grandma would have paid for one GB of data with her Lite package on TSI? $24.95 That's right, only one GB would have been included with the Lite package.

Guess what the transfer cap is for the Lite package on TSI now (and was before the whole UBB thing)? Unlimited. That's right, unlimited.

Grandma better be grateful.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by JonyBelGeul:

I'm not sure who you mean by "you and yours". But consider this. In preparation for UBB, prices were fixed to cover UBB's increased costs to the ISPs. Guess what your grandma would have paid for one GB of data with her Lite package on TSI? $24.95 That's right, only one GB would have been included with the Lite package.

TWC's offering was a $15 tier.

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
said by elray:

said by JonyBelGeul:

TWC's offering was a $15 tier.

Take a moment to read the following:

»The Cost of Bandwidth - Canada versus the World

tickman

@charter.com
reply to rradina
Microsoft Auto Update and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Norton Updates Daily $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Service Pack 4 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Adobe Update, Opera, Firefox,