Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: Fourth Meeting: Media Coverage

said by El Quintron:

said by MaynardKrebs:

I suspect that there would be more accountability if it wasn't spread over multiple agencies

Hmm...

I agree with everything you said except for this... I feel multiple non-complicit agencies would find a smoking gun quickly seeing as there's no benefit in protecting a separate agency; whereas if someone finds a smoking gun within the agency they always run the risk of becoming a whistle blower with all the negative career implications...

What you had suggested still falls under the Industry Canada umbrella. Maybe you're right....then you get into interdepartmental budget battles - who pays for what in audits out of which budget. That's usually a recipe for paralysis in getting anything done.

Maybe it should be that Telus networking guys get to audit Bell, Bell's guys get to audit Rogers, Rogers, gets to audit Telus.....and the results all get to the CRTC. I actually have some confidence that competitors dissecting one another is a good thing.

Or maybe just hire BT or Deutsche Telekom as an expert outsider to do all the audits.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Force Bell to hire independent auditors to verify the numbers Bell gives to the CRTC. That simple.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

Force Bell to hire independent auditors to verify the numbers Bell gives to the CRTC.

That simple [to propose, during Golf with the the CRTC].

There, Fixed.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

What you had suggested still falls under the Industry Canada umbrella. Maybe you're right....then you get into interdepartmental budget battles - who pays for what in audits out of which budget. That's usually a recipe for paralysis in getting anything done.

(...)

Or maybe just hire BT or Deutsche Telekom as an expert outsider to do all the audits.

Either way...

By time it reaches the CRTC it should probably structured as follows:

Bell is filing X in order to Y done. Our independent telecom auditor says that X is or isn't true, so decide accordingly.

It's that simple... that way, when they roll out puff pieces about congestion, Bit Torrent or whatever, they can't get stuff by providing false information.

In the end a price hike should be just that... not a deterrent to protect legacy services or keep ideological control over what gets done on the infrastructure.