Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

melenet

join:2005-09-16
Medford, OR
reply to NeoVeo

Re: Failover for 911?

Personally i prefer the cell phone backup.

Hopefully this will help people:
Old Inactive cell phones should be able to call 911

and new news to me is that many inactive land lines can do a soft dial tone to reach 911 in the following states it has been mandated

Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington & Wyoming

read here:
»blogs.consumerreports.org/electr···nes.html

NeoVeo

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON

said by melenet:

and new news to me is that many inactive land lines can do a soft dial tone to reach 911 in the following states it has been mandated

Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington & Wyoming

read here:
»blogs.consumerreports.org/electr···nes.html

Hi Melenet, unfortunately where I am, Bhell doesn't appear to leave an active dial tone on the lines once you cancel their service.
My line was dead as a door knob before I switched to Voip.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

I once set up a DNS SRV record that caused my VoIP device to try another VoIP.ms PoP if the primary should become unreachable.

This however requires access to a DNS server and knowledge of how to set it up. This is what my record looks like:

_sip._udp.example.com. 300 IN SRV 10 0 5060 seattle.voip.ms
_sip._udp.example.com. 300 IN SRV 20 0 5060 losangeles.voip.ms.

I set my proxy to (following this example) example.com .

You would also need to set Use DNS SRV to Yes and DNS SRV Auto Prefix to Yes on your device. I would also set Proxy Fallback Intvl to something low like 30 so that if a network hiccup prevents registration, the device tries to register to the primary PoP again in 30 seconds.

One of the VoIP.ms reps mentioned that this is a feature that's in the works, so hopefully soon everyone will be able to do this without having to set up their own DNS record.

m.
--
Recommended ATA Settings | e164 - make your DID accessible via SIPBroker! | Tips for Reliable Internet Faxing

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

said by Mango:

You would also need to set Use DNS SRV to Yes and DNS SRV Auto Prefix to Yes on your device. I would also set Proxy Fallback Intvl to something low like 30 so that if a network hiccup prevents registration, the device tries to register to the primary PoP again in 30 seconds.

Also reduce Reg Retry Long Intvl in the SIP screen from 1200 sec to 120. On F9 specifically we recommend NOT using DNS SRV since we do our own DNS failover. The problem with this strategy is that you're still dependent on one provider so if Voip.MS is completely down (all servers) then your E911 call won't pass through even if you have such failover in place.

Back to the OP: I don't know of any adapter that has built-in failover through multiple providers. For that kind of stuff Asterisk or any other PBX is great. (but a bit of an overkill for a simple home setup)

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to melenet

said by melenet:

and new news to me is that many inactive land lines can do a soft dial tone to reach 911 in the following states it has been mandated....

Melenet, by the book, your answer is partially correct, but I would absolutely NOT depend on this in real life!

a) Verizon Wireless recently had a massive 911 failure and that was for PAID accounts. Thousands of 911 calls were lost. What makes you think that mobile companies (which we can aptly call "mob" companies) will do any kind of reliable job for inactive accounts?

b) Likewise with landlines, the POTS companies can barely maintain service for their paying customers. It is folly to assume that they can or would maintain the physical copperwire connection to homes that have terminated their service.

More b): If you talk to phone guys in the field, they will tell you that copperwire pairs are swapped and switched around all the time. If they need "a pair" and there is an unused set that used to go to a house that terminated service, they may grab it. Even if everyone in the POTS company has the best of intentions, there is no way to keep track of inactive accounts and lines because---they're inactive!

This is another example of state regulators and state legislators butting into something that they don't understand, and creating mandates that are totally impractical in the real world, yet which give gullible consumers a false sense of confidence.

-------------------------------------------------

Finally, the "Consumer Reports" article that you linked to ALSO included this content:

For example, according to the NANCE report, emergency service in Oklahoma is mandated for only 30 days following the suspension of service. In Ohio, the period is only 14 days.

and

Use the fact that a soft-tone line should also reach the phone company to test it out. Plug in a phone and call the carrier's business number, typically 611. (Such a test might also be wise after you discontinue service, as a check that you in fact received accurate information about soft-tone service.)

and these reader comments:

Often the copper pair will need to be reclaimed in order to provider service to another neighbor. Unless you are checking, often, there is no guarantee that the dialtone has not stopped and therefore no 911 service.

and:

....in addition to stealing these "Will Serve" or "Quickserve" pairs to fix existing service or provision new service, if the pair goes bad, the local company is not going to fix it. Another thing: in some areas dial tone is put on "naked" DSL lines in order to enable identifying the pair, but 911 is not available on those lines.

In summary, I think that depending on ANY kind of freebie for 911, is absolutely unreliable. God knows that even the paid 911 services have their share of problems!