uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

[vps] ThrustVPS/DamnVPS -- Good/Bad?

Very curious about this one. Was linked to this place by a friend earlier. Unbelievably cheap. But looking for reviews, I am getting mixed signals. Though the bad ones seem to largely be either a: People who have absolutely no clue what a VPS is supposed to do and expect a fully managed server or b: Expect the staff to answer their every request within moments in relation to how much they are paying for the service. Outside of these retarded cases, anyone here have any experience that is actually intelligeble?

I am really interested in going with them at this point. I don't expect awesome service but would mind getting ticket responses within reasonable time (within 24 hours for minor stuff). Don't expect 5 9's uptime but would get annoyed if my server goes down once every other week or the network connectivity regularly goes to crap. I know how to run my own linux server and knowing this is not a managed service, do not expect them to provide help for the VPS itself and expect to fully rely on my own resources. The only help I'd expect is support with the host node if it is ever needed.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I don't know anything about the company you are asking about, and I don't know why you might be interested in them, be it price, service, virtualization technology, or whatever, but you might take a look over at »www.linode.com as well before making your choice.
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
I'm actually already aware of Linode. A friend of mine is already on there and has referred me. The only reason I am looking at this company at the moment is for the price. At this current moment in time the cost is more enticing than anything. In the future I may end up on Linode but for now...
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Cool Cool, we can all understand shopping around for the best price vs best service for our dollars.

To bad we don't have as many choices, when it comes to last mile providers in our homes
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to Vchat20
Appears they are UK based, if that matters any.

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Vchat20
I've HEARD of them on WHT ... but I don't recall good/bad.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
I actually went through and looked at all of the recent threads about them and almost all of them seem to fall under the lines of customer stupidity, arrogance, and overall expecting service of a much higher priced company but are only paying $5-$10 for. I think I'm going to give them a shot and see how well they fare. For the price, I'm not losing much. And backups are going to be constantly up to date.
--

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH

1 edit
reply to Vchat20
Well so far, so good. Purchased a VPS last tuesday and once the control was in my hands it has all been super smooth as far as their side of the operation. Running a Xen HVM instance and is on good hardware. 100mbit connection to the host box and a couple speed tests (cachefly 100MB file down/random ftp server up) i see around a good ~60mbit/s up and down. Haven't tested CPU/Mem/IO performance but that isn't really a high concern for me.

Got a public uptime/ping test available: »sysojo.com/stats/11746

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention. Have been trying to get rDNS records for my IP updated which has been a no-go so far. 2 times they have verified on their end that the records are there but every check I have run from my end (including dig -x on the VPS itself) tells me it hasn't updated and I think I initiated the change last saturday. It isn't a complete showstopper though. Mostly just cosmetic stuff for me. Just to see a traceroute come back to an actual hostname rather than a bland IP.
--

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
what cpu is the box running? cat /proc/cpuinfo

Thanks for the info.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
Ahh. Knew I forgot something. Yeah, running a Xeon E5620 on this one. Pretty snazzy. Kinda shocked not to see HT enabled. Though I am betting with 4 cores available and heavy virtualization such as this, hyperthreading is fairly useless.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 44
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2400.105
cache size      : 12288 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 4
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good pni ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4800.21
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
physical id     : 2
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good pni ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4795.74
power management:

processor       : 2
physical id     : 4
apicid          : 4
initial apicid  : 4
bogomips        : 4804.30
power management:

processor       : 3
physical id     : 6
apicid          : 6
initial apicid  : 6
bogomips        : 4782.84
power management:

--