Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SHABAZZ

join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA
reply to espaeth

Re: We can only hope!

Thats exactly true! Level 3 & MCIs fiber networks arent ran to most cell sites. It takes extreme capital and construction to extend the lines to each site. Over the last couple of years AT&T has been extending fiber to a lot of their sites and theyre not even half way done yet. Its going to take several years to get the backhaul in place. And then once everything is in place the cost to build it will be pasted to the customer with higher prices.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Most of the fiber providers are doing smarter buildouts these days, like not planning installation just around a single customer. Right now we're actively pursuing getting private fiber for our own use via a company that is building out wireless infrastructure fiber for both Sprint and Verizon. These build projects in many cities are coming to completion in 2011/2012.

If the statement was that it wasn't available today, I wouldn't have disagreed. The statement was that there is nothing in development, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
said by espaeth:

Most of the fiber providers are doing smarter buildouts these days, like not planning installation just around a single customer. Right now we're actively pursuing getting private fiber for our own use via a company that is building out wireless infrastructure fiber for both Sprint and Verizon. These build projects in many cities are coming to completion in 2011/2012.

If the statement was that it wasn't available today, I wouldn't have disagreed. The statement was that there is nothing in development, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

You run a wireless internet company? That explains your bias...

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
said by sonicmerlin:

You run a wireless internet company? That explains your bias...

No, as I've stated in the past, I work in healthcare. We are working with the companies building out fiber to various cell towers because, if you haven't noticed, cell towers are pretty much everywhere. So since these companies are already installing fiber near our locations, it becomes very cost effective to have them also run connections to our facilities while they're already working in the area.