GMT -5

4 recommendations

Jeff to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

said by Matt3:

quote:
Showtime hopes that by making it harder for consumers to access their content, they can somehow magically retain the premium cable channel ecosystem.
I had Dexter queued up on netflix to watch, but now all this will do is make me delete it and not even bother. I don't watch CBS for anything except the occasional sports event anyway, this will just make me further avoid CBS.

I agree 100%, and I'm in the exact same boat. Dexter is one I wanted to watch. Everyone keeps telling me how good it is, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Now, forget it.

If I want to see the show that bad, there are two other ways that I'm aware of to download it, and copy it right to my media server for proper viewing.

What bothers me most about the whole thing, aside from the corporate greed, is the fact that the delivery system - netflix - is already here, perfected almost. netflix streaming is the best thing since sliced bread, and it works on a ton of devices, be it Blu-Ray players, iPhones, Xbox 360, etc. CBS is taking their content away from this perfect delivery system, and that annoys the shit out of me.

One day last week I had to call in sick to work, and I just sat in my den, fired up the 360 and streamed netflix movies all day that I wanted to watch. It was great.

Oh, and DVD "sales"? I haven't purchased a DVD in I can't tell you how long. A CD in an even longer amount of time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Jeff:

What bothers me most about the whole thing, aside from the corporate greed, is the fact that the delivery system - netflix - is already here, perfected almost. netflix streaming is the best thing since sliced bread, and it works on a ton of devices, be it Blu-Ray players, iPhones, Xbox 360, etc. CBS is taking their content away from this perfect delivery system, and that annoys the shit out of me.

That's what it's all about Greed, they can't see the forest for the trees. There are so many other ways to get such content, I cut the cord 3yrs ago, and haven't looked back. Living in Canada, we don't get the same wealth of programming the US does (ala Cable networks), since "cutting" the cord I've stumbled across so many good shows to watch. I don't miss conventional TV and it's commercials at all.

bbrkdub
join:2001-10-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

bbrkdub to Jeff

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

Oh, and DVD "sales"? I haven't purchased a DVD in I can't tell you how long. A CD in an even longer amount of time.

Exactly.

Why buy a DVD when you can "rent" them from netflix. Oh, and the streaming option? Even better. netflix is the best movie access deal going. For $20/mo. I can watch as many DVDs as I want (3 at a time), *and* unlimited amounts of streaming movies from my Instant Queue. That's hard to beat.

Anyway, what's sad is the envy displayed by these movie "content providers". Through their own (poor) business decisions, the studios have allowed netflix to become what they are today--a major brand name.

netflix is to movies what Apple is to music.

All these silly content-pulling-30-day-delay tactics are a waste of time. The cat is out of the bag. The distribution game has change and it's time for them to adapt.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

TechyDad

Premium Member

I completely agree. When DVDs first came out, I bought a lot of them so I could watch my favorite movies whenever I wanted. Then I noticed something. I'd watch them once, put them back and never watch them again. Some remain in their shrink wrap years after I purchased them.

Meanwhile, I pour through DVD after DVD from netflix and even more via netflix Streaming. My children are used to seeing shows on demand (via Streaming or shows previously DVRed). Waiting to watch a show when it airs is as foreign to them as a TV with only 5 channels.

Restricting who can watch your shows and when and where is not the way to make a show successful. Here's a tip for all the TV execs who are going for the walled garden approach: Your content isn't *that* special. People will flock to other content if they can't access yours.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to bbrkdub

to bbrkdub
quote:
Portions of Apple Itunes revenue goes to the music labels. Does netflix revenue (unlimited for $10/mo ! ) go to the movie industry?! NOBODY ever answers this question. Ive asked it 100 times on this forum.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
Portions of Apple Itunes revenue goes to the music labels. Does netflix revenue (unlimited for $10/mo ! ) go to the movie industry?! NOBODY ever answers this question. Ive asked it 100 times on this forum.

Yes it does. If not netflix would have shut down and the people working there would have all been arrested. Not so bright a question. Just saying.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

quote:

Yes they certainly do, in fact if you did some research you would know most of the operations cost for netflix is licenses for the content they offer both in streams and on disc.

ITALIAN926

2 edits

ITALIAN926 to Corehhi

to Corehhi
Thanx for your response and opinion Corehhi, if I recall correctly, Napster was a free-for-all for a couple years?

Its really hard to fathom how netflix can operate like that. Unlimited downloads for $7.99 a month? What do the studios get like 5cents a movie?
Edit:

I now understand how they can operate , I signed up for the service and the selection is just non-existant. Pretty obvious they are still , by far, just a mail-order DVD company. The picture quality SUCKED.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Thanx for your response and opinion Corehhi, if I recall correctly, Napster was a free-for-all for a couple years?

Its really hard to fathom how netflix can operate like that. Unlimited downloads for $7.99 a month? What do the studios get like 5cents a movie?
Edit:

I now understand how they can operate , I signed up for the service and the selection is just non-existant. Pretty obvious they are still , by far, just a mail-order DVD company. The picture SUCKED.

If you knew anything about network bandwidth pricing you would know how they can turn a profit. It costs them pennies to stream a single movie and most people dont stream several hundred movies a month, and yes they do pay money to the studios through licensing agreements that get negotiated from time to time. Just like the cable companies butt heads with the studios about the prices of their content, most likely CBS wanted too much. I'll side with a cable company or netflix all the time because in reality all we pay for is hollywood's addiction to money and the attitude that I must make more more more more while the rest of us make less.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

quote:
I'll side with a cable company or netflix all the time because in reality all we pay for is hollywood's addiction to money and the attitude that I must make more more more more while the rest of us make less.
Not for nothing, but this applies to almost every kind of business and person. Even charities pursue, MORE MORE MORE. ???

... and I was barely thinking about network bandwidth pricing. If a user downloads 20 movies a month on the $7.99 plan, and the entire $$ amount went to the studios, that comes to ~ .40 a flick to the studios? Now we can factor in advertising costs, employees, and any other overhead costs including bandwidth. If this type of content delivery is endorsed by the movie industry, they arent getting a LOT from netflix.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

No they do NOT get paid per stream. For exmaple they paid Starz $30 mil upfront for their content 3 years ago. That's how it works.

I now understand how they can operate , I signed up for the service and the selection is just non-existant. Pretty obvious they are still , by far, just a mail-order DVD company. The picture quality SUCKED.

Try not using dial-up. Their lack of content is HOLLYWOODS fault. Not netflix's. thye'd off you everything if HOLLYWOOD gave them permission. Assign blame properly.

ITALIAN926

3 edits

ITALIAN926

Try not using dialup ??? I have FiOS 42Mbps down, 32 upload and a 5 msecond ping lol.

Its their company, they have nothing to offer me, I stand by my opinion.

Oops, a little slow tonight, 11ms ping ,
The only thing I can think of is the size of my TV's, I have a 60" Kuro and a 55" Vizio, the "Starz play" movie selections were just horrible PQ. I tried both TV's HARDWIRED to the router, and were on two different Blu-Rays with netflix apps. One a Vizio, one a Sony.

... and 3000 miles away , Seattle Washington
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

the "Starz play" movie selections were just horrible PQ. I tried both TV's HARDWIRED to the router, and were on two different Blu-Rays with netflix apps. One a Vizio, one a Sony.

Yeah and it's been explained a million times the Starz Play movies are NOT in HD. Perhaps you should have researched that before signing up. If content is not HD that's not on netflix. The content provider dictates whether netflix can show their content in HD or not.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

Are you telling me that some of the Starz play movies show in 16X9 AND 4:3 format, in STANDARD DEF? Because that what I saw, BOTH. I have never seen a 16X9 movie fill my screen like that in SD.

Either way, I guess its a coincedence that the first 5 movies I chose were all Starz Play. Maybe they should label them different instead of letting customers play guessing games.

Every other movie I searched was only available mail-order.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

1 edit

88615298 (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

Are you telling me that some of the Starz play movies show in 16X9 AND 4:3 format, in STANDARD DEF? Because that what I saw, BOTH. I have never seen a 16X9 movie fill my screen like that in SD.

Either way, I guess its a coincedence that the first 5 movies I chose were all Starz Play. Maybe they should label them different instead of letting customers play guessing games.

Actually they do. At least when I access them via my 360 or through my PC. And no it not a coincidence if you were looking for newer movies. Almost any movie less than 2 years old on netflix streaming will most likely be a Starz play movie. In fact most movie less than 10 years old will be Starz. Once again studios do not want to give netflix newer movies. Some newer movies that are either independant or from smaller studios are netflix movies.

Starz movies

»movies.netflix.com/WiCon ··· g&csid=1

HD content. Some are movies some are TV

»movies.netflix.com/WiHD

Mingus
@shawcable.net

Mingus to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
Well, they aren't getting that much less either. Also, there is very little inventory risk. For each movie they release on DVD they make thousands and thousands of copies. Half probably end up selling for less than $10 and many never sell at all. The disk costs them about $4 to make and then they have to ship them somewhere which reduces their profit even more.

netflix streams the movies so, no manufacturing or inventory are required and there is much less risk.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

They are labeled different -- both in the web portal and when you actually play them.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Yes starz is the worst quality and it is not under netflix control. Go under HD movies and try that out. You will probably have to use your computer for that option.