how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to quetwo

Re: If it doesn't go through then what?

On the latter two parts.. Sprint is not shrinking anymore and they do now have a specific plan to get off iDen , which will execute starting later this year.

As far as the debt, yeah, who would want that. It's $14B. That's why it's likely Sprint would otherwise acquire/'merge' with Tmob, and no one acquiring Sprint.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
BTW, Sprint is hiring the CFO from Qwest, who specializes in mergers. He was specifically hired by Qwest to handle the merger. Sprint is getting him as soon as the Qwest/Centurylink deal closes.

Sounds like Sprint is seriously looking to make some kind of move for real this time.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to xenophon
Sprint has had plans for YEARS now (5) to get rid of iDEN only to end up keeping it around. The fact is Sprint is in no hurry in getting rid of anything and the only thing going around by many many people (including quotes that are miss quoted- on purpose) is rumors. Sprint has never said anything about pulling out of Clear- which many claim; especially on here. Sprint has NEVER said anything about going to LTE- which again- claims again which are from "sources that are ALWAYS wrong at Sprint. Sprint is in no hurry to do anything and is only making the move to small base stations to save $$$$ when powering them. They also can move much of the operations back to a data center instead of having active equipment in the field doing all the work.

When Sprint moves away from iDEN Hell will freeze.

NObama
Premium
join:2005-11-09
Nashua, NH
You are uninformed. Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network. The decommissioning of iDEN will start as each market nears or completes the upgrade. The work has started, so it looks like hell will be getting colder soon.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
said by NObama:

You are uninformed. Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network.

Good for them. On a clear day if I climb a tree I can see the Empire State Building but there is no Sprint 3G let alone 4G coverage available. Even if they buy Clearwire there still won't be mobile broadband coverage.

Don't worry the FCC is demanding they be permitted to leech off Verizon's network; four bars in my house.

NObama
Premium
join:2005-11-09
Nashua, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
Not every carrier covers the same area. So, if Sprint doesn't work for you, get another service. 4G is currently provided by Clearwire, which is not run by Sprint, though Sprint owns more than 50% of it. If you are paying for Sprint service, it is probably because they are a cheaper option to AT&T and VZW. One reason Sprint is cheaper, is due to their smaller footprint. You want better service, then pay for it. Simple.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
said by NObama:

One reason Sprint is cheaper, is due to their smaller footprint. You want better service, then pay for it. Simple.

I do. My comment was in response to "Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network".

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to NObama
Right.

ISP1

@multacom.com

1 edit
reply to batterup
Clear's implementation of 4G (WiMax) is mostly a ground wave. It can work poorly if your high up in an office building or too close to a tower.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
said by ISP1 :

Clear's implementation of 4G (WiMax) is mostly a ground wave. It can work poorly if your high up in an office building or too close to a tower.

As I said on a clear day if I climb a tree I can the the Empire State Building. Only Verizon, T-Mobile and at&t offer 3G broadband service I can get in my house. Darn Verizon's 4G is a few towers away; like their FiOS a few poles away.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to ISP1
Curious about this. Do you have any links that explain this? Does Clear somehow focus the signal in a specific plain with a directional antenna?