spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bsdaiwa
join:2004-06-04
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa

[DSL] Understanding ADSL Modem Data

Can anyone help me to understand the following information I was able to obtain from my ADSL modem? I understand item one (1) but don’t understand items two (2) through four (4). Are the values shown good, marginal or excellent? If they are not acceptable, how can I improve them?

In items 2 – 4 I assume all references to Up are from my location, so why are my numbers lower if they travel over the same line? By getting a more powerful modem give me a better connection? Or do I want lower values?

1) xDSL linestate up (downstream: 8190 kbit/s, upstream: 414 kbit/s
2) Output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 10.0 dBm
3) Line Attenuation Down: 19.0 dB, Up: 7.0 dB
4) SNR Margin Down: 30.5 dB, Up: 26.0 dB)

Please help me understand this.
Thank you very much.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Moved in from Broadband Modem (Hardware).

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to bsdaiwa

Premium Member

to bsdaiwa
Output power is your transmit or TX power.
Line attenuation is how much signal degraded from the DSLAM. Lower is better.
SNR is signal to noise. The measure of signal versus noise in the signal. A high SNR is good, above 29dB is perfect. Anything lower will likely cause service problems.
bsdaiwa
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa

PSAFUX, thank you for clearing that up. Based on what I see, the connection with the local DSLAM is high quality. Would you agree or is there a way I can improve it?
Thanks again.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

As user=psafuc] posted your line stats look great, your circuit is pretty short probably around 5,000 feet.

If SNR gets too low modem will have difficult time maintaining sync. That is typically around 6 dB. Between 6 to 10 dB signal is vulnerable to noise causing errors. Above 10 should be solid.

Are you having problems with the connection? If your ISP offers higher speed your line is able to support it.

The only thing customer can control is inside wiring/equipment. Connect modem to the phone company NID test jack. If stats improve something within your residence is degrading service. In that case it is your responsibly to correct. Given how good your stats are I doubt there is anything seriously wrong within your residence.

/tom

bsdaiwa
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa

Tom, thanks for your comments, I was just trying to understand the information I could see when I accessed my modems configuration. I am in Brazil and even the local telephone techs. have a limited understanding of networking, routers and modems, so I like to be prepared in case I run into a problem.
I just added a whole house lighting protector to the telephone line and I wanted to make sure that it was not degrading my signal but I didn't understand the information, now I do.
Thanks to all for the help.
Bill

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

The main thing I would look at honestly is:

1) xDSL linestate up (downstream: 8190 kbit/s, upstream: 414 kbit/s

And any indications of errors your modem has.

Compare 1) against the speed you are supposed to get, if it's higher and you have no errors then you should be fine.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL

mikepd to bsdaiwa

Premium Member

to bsdaiwa
The only other comment I would add is that if you are getting 80% or better of your rated line speed then you are good.

Anything less than 80% needs to get looked at as due to TCP overhead and other constraints, 80% and above is considered a good line.