Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr

Re: why not

said by slckusr:

To promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable, and affordable rates,

A total fail on all counts of this requirement. The service is overpriced, crappy, and not always available (FAP comes to mind). Now if introductory satellite was offered at $10/month and compete with dial-up, then that might actually be reasonable.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

said by slckusr:

To promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable, and affordable rates,

A total fail on all counts of this requirement. The service is overpriced, crappy, and not always available (FAP comes to mind). Now if introductory satellite was offered at $10/month and compete with dial-up, then that might actually be reasonable.

But whats the one internet service that doesnt completely ignore the rural folks, you know the people who are supposed to be benefiting from this fee. No internet is perfect ( weather affects my 3g too). Satellite was always for people too far from the cable company(until recent times) and most of those people who were too far from cable lived in the rural areas.

"To advance the availability of such services to all consumers, including those in low income, rural, insular, and high cost areas at rates that are reasonably comparable to those charged in urban areas," hughsnet was offering internet for 59.99 a month, Att charges me 53.99. so the prices seem pretty comparable.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by slckusr:

"To advance the availability of such services to all consumers, including those in low income, rural, insular, and high cost areas at rates that are reasonably comparable to those charged in urban areas," hughsnet was offering internet for 59.99 a month, Att charges me 53.99. so the prices seem pretty comparable.

Jeez, you're used to getting screwed, aren't you? Out here, introductory DSL (that blows away satellite) is offered at $15-20 a month! I even chip in for a higher rated package at $30 a month. $50 for this quality of service is absurd.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

said by Thaler:

said by slckusr:

Jeez, you're used to getting screwed, aren't you? Out here, introductory DSL (that blows away satellite) is offered at $15-20 a month! I even chip in for a higher rated package at $30 a month. $50 for this quality of service is absurd.

You don't live in the sticks. I have a few friends on Sat internet and TV because they have no other choice. It is their choice to live out where the buses don't run so I don't feel sorry for them and in fact they are very wealthy.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by Corehhi:

You don't live in the sticks. I have a few friends on Sat internet and TV because they have no other choice. It is their choice to live out where the buses don't run so I don't feel sorry for them and in fact they are very wealthy.

Except I do have family that's forced to operate by satellite, and are in no means wealthy. So yeah, I think they're getting a raw deal being charged 2-3 times broadband rates for 1/10th the service.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by slckusr:

A total fail on all counts of this requirement. The service is overpriced, crappy, and not always available (FAP comes to mind). ~snip~

Don't forget that whole 'clear view of the southern sky' bit.
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to Thaler

to Thaler
that's 2-3 times TERRESTRIAL broadband rates, that don't provide service to their location.

i suppose you could pay to run fiber to their home then. or even contract a cable company to run some co-ax.

except, i imagine it's cost prohibitive.

satellite internet costs are higher than terrestrial broadband. this is a fact. sending 1gb over a space link costs more than sending 1gb over a dslam. this IS rocket science.

satellite internet doesn't compete directly with terrestrial broadband, but it is certainly reasonably priced from the perspective of someone that isn't within reach of current wire-line infrastructure.

if you can't see that, then perhaps the service isn't for you, but it is certainly for acceptable for a lot of people.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by LucasLee:

that's 2-3 times TERRESTRIAL broadband rates, that don't provide service to their location.

But isn't that exactly what the USF is pushing for? Providing equivalent service (price, performance, and availability) for those that live in currently non-serviced areas?
said by LucasLee:

satellite internet costs are higher than terrestrial broadband. this is a fact. sending 1gb over a space link costs more than sending 1gb over a dslam. this IS rocket science.

Nobody's saying that. They're free to gouge their customers as they see fit. They just don't qualify at all for the terms that the USF is written up to provide for.
said by LucasLee:

if you can't see that, then perhaps the service isn't for you, but it is certainly for acceptable for a lot of people.

I have yet to see any satellite customer that's really happy with their service. Everyone I've met on WildBlue or HugesNet give the same story: "It's better than dial-up, but as soon as (insert DSL or cable provider name here) gets service to us, they are so f***ing gone." Satellite internet seems about as "acceptable" as paying taxes - they *need* the service, but there's just no other alternative.
« Hi.
This is a sub-selection from why not