join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Does Dish or DirecTV have any 2 year discount offers?

One of my DirecTV DVR's just died, and before replacing it, I want to evaluate services offered by Dish Network and DirecTV.

I use 4 DVR's, and while not absolutely vital, my family has grown to enjoy multi room viewing.

We have 4 DVR's, and the dishnetwork.com website won't let me set up 4 DVR's, which doesn't help.

I see the new Dish offers are for 1 year, does anyone know if DirecTV or Dish Network have any decent 2 year offers?

I'm trying to compare Dish and DirecTV costs for 2 years with 4 HD DVR's.

Thanks
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
You are probably better off giving each of them a ring. I've had much better luck doing that.
E* : 1800-333-3474
D* : 1888-777-2454

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
You are probably correct. I'm not looking forward to haggling, but of late DirecTV's price increases and then series of 6 and 12 month discounts just isn't cutting it for me. I'd like price stability.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Generally Dish raises their prices every year. This is the first year they rolled 2 years together in one update and promised not to raise prices for 2 years.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
I had an older HD DVR plan from DirecTV that was no longer offered, but was grandfathered on my account. The last round of DirecTV increases they destroyed that plans value vs the other plans (DirecTV had a higher overall increase on my specific grandfathered plan).

This probably makes sense for DirecTV, and when I call, they will often give me $10-$20 off for 6-12 months.

What I want is a 2 year lower price for a two year commitment. By the time I add in 4 DVR's and HD the cost had favored DirecTV, after their recent price restructuring, I'm uncertain if it does, but can't get Dish to let me compare apples to apples (4 HD DVR's).

Also, Dish doesn't have multi-room viewing, and my family likes being able to move from one DVR to another, and to see content across all DVR's. It's not a deal killer, but it would be nice.

A 3rd alternative, would be Comcast cable. An extended basic plan with just a card, could be less expensive than Dish or DirecTV, but doesn't seem to offer as many programs. I see there is a 3 recorder device, that may permit 3 channels to be recorded at once, and stored within a media server on my LAN.

Comcast is my lowest cost, choice, but I'm more comfortable with DirecTV and Dish for DVR service. I've used both. Comcast also seems to have some issues with HD picture quality, I'm uncertain what it is, but the unencrypted HD channels I see on my sets are darker, and seem to have more artifacts than the same channel on my DirecTV DVR.
--

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to pandora
Dish, Free HD For Life!

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
I know, this was introduced after I left Dish and it changes the relative value of DirecTV vs Dish.

Just Dish won't quote me a 4 DVR home install online.
--

PremTech101

@aircloud.com
As stated before call them instead of doing it online.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Generally Dish raises their prices every year. This is the first year they rolled 2 years together in one update and promised not to raise prices for 2 years.

I have not had an increase in 3 years with Dish. It went up last year, $5 and that increase is for at least 2 years before another increase.

Pandora have you gone on to the Dish web site and build a package for yourself? Can you add 4 receivers to your order?

Also Dish is giving everyone Free Starz for 12 months starting 3/1/11. And if you sign up for paperless billing/auto pay you get Cinemax free for life.

--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I have had Dish since 2002 or 2003 - every year about Feb was usually a $3 increase in conjunction with DirecTV. This is the first time the price increase was for 2 years and they promised not to raise it in that time. That was the reason it was announced when they did this - otherwise the increases were clockwork.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by CylonRed:

I have had Dish since 2002 or 2003 - every year about Feb was usually a $3 increase in conjunction with DirecTV.

Wonder why you got one every year? We have been paying $39.99 since 2006 for Dish 120. It went up $5 to $44.99 in 2011. Price freeze for 2 years.

Maybe because we have Paperless/Autopay we did not get an increase for 5 years?
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Nope - I have the same setup.

Thread about increased in 2010:
»clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.p···ic=13004

Price increase for 2009:
»www.dish-television.com/2009/02/···g-rates/