share rss forum feed

psx_defector

join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX
kudos:1
reply to nklb

Re: site user password intrusion info

said by nklb:

Is there any correlation between the user accounts affected? (Similar member numbers or join date? frequent posters? seemingly completely random?)

Judging by the posters on this thread, it sounds as though they got the first part of the table. Oldest join date is 2002. So if they were slurping the table down, it would start from the first account and go forward.

It definitely isn't by amount of posts, I've been lurking in the background for a bit. Just never felt like posting anything.

baloosh

join:2000-08-03
Dayton, OH
Oldest join date so far: 8/3/2000.

EDIT: CRAP! Beaten by dudes even older (on this site) than me!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
7/6/2000 actually

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to baloosh
actually my account got hit as well so 1999-11-19

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to CylonRed
Beat both of you...

4/28/2000

Regarding the password here, for good or bad, it was a "simple" one. Over time, other sites or new sites I've joined (banking, Paypal, etc) started requiring more complex ones ... I HOPE, at least !!

lskohn

join:2000-08-17
Chicago, IL
didn't beat many here: 8/17/2000...bad days back then for Ameritech DSL!

Well, it just shows it's a good thing I've been squishing out other passwords recently, but now I have to run through KeePass (at least I've had that backup!) and figure out what needs changing.

I appreciate the tutorial a few pages back on generating strong site-specific passwords...I could never figure out how to do that in a way that wouldn't overtax this ancient mind.

Off to change a few more sites...

mgullick

join:2001-03-24
Chico, CA

1 edit
reply to psx_defector
said by psx_defector:

said by nklb:

Is there any correlation between the user accounts affected? (Similar member numbers or join date? frequent posters? seemingly completely random?)

Judging by the posters on this thread, it sounds as though they got the first part of the table. Oldest join date is 2002. So if they were slurping the table down, it would start from the first account and go forward.

It definitely isn't by amount of posts, I've been lurking in the background for a bit. Just never felt like posting anything.

Actually my join date is older than stated above.

join:2001-03-24

There was one site that used the password in question: this one. I had actually used it as the password on a couple of routers but I changed those as well after receiving the notification mail.
--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

psx_defector

join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX
kudos:1
reply to baloosh
said by baloosh:

Oldest join date so far: 8/3/2000.

EDIT: CRAP! Beaten by dudes even older (on this site) than me!

This is what I get for not proofreading my own post.

I meant YOUNGEST, not oldest. Some 1999, myself at 2001. It only looks like it's us old timers, and if it's sequentially in the database it would make sense that it was the first part of the database that was slurped.