share rss forum feed

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

1 recommendation

reply to BlueC

Re: Educate the consumers

said by BlueC:

We would have much better results if consumers had a way to be educated properly. That's my theory on improving things.

Further regulation might make it, more, difficult for new companies to jump into the industry. It's quite backwards as-is, but I don't see how more laws/regulation will improve things because most of the larger ISPs will just have a way to have loopholes in place to get around most of it.

Consumers, as they are educated on what they are paying for, will be able to voice their opinion properly, which will help push for changes in the way service is managed.

I really don't see it any other way. I only say this because I have watched consumers be blindly mislead, when they easily could have prevented a provider from earning the business if they had asked the right questions and done the needed due diligence. It's amazing how many things become overlooked in this industry.

Educate the consumers, have them hold the companies accountable for their actions. The consumers are the ones paying them after all. Free market works, but only when the consumers know what's truly acceptable.

"Educate" the consumer ? On what, how to get raped ? "Free market works" ? Really ? Where, in the world of regulatory capture ? How can the consumer "keep the companies accountable" when the consumer is screwed by binding arbitration and the government is NOT doing its job to punish monopolies and collusion agreements ?

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
Why do you think companies take advantage of everyone? Because no one knows what's even going on. I'm not talking about the people on this site, we all know the opinions here, but if you honestly took a look at the majority of broadband consumers, you'd be surprised how little knowledge is there.

Don't you think consumers would have a larger impact if more of them understood how the service even worked?

This is how things got so screwed up to begin with. I've been watching companies taking advantage of people, and not because of regulations/laws/franchises/etc, but because they blindly allowed a provider to provide them crappy service.

Allow consumers to set a higher standard. Most people don't seem to even care because they don't truly understand it. Obviously on this site consumers have a better idea, but that's not the case with 99.99% of consumers outside of this site.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
said by BlueC:

Why do you think companies take advantage of everyone? Because no one knows what's even going on. I'm not talking about the people on this site, we all know the opinions here, but if you honestly took a look at the majority of broadband consumers, you'd be surprised how little knowledge is there.

Don't you think consumers would have a larger impact if more of them understood how the service even worked?

This is how things got so screwed up to begin with. I've been watching companies taking advantage of people, and not because of regulations/laws/franchises/etc, but because they blindly allowed a provider to provide them crappy service.

Allow consumers to set a higher standard. Most people don't seem to even care because they don't truly understand it. Obviously on this site consumers have a better idea, but that's not the case with 99.99% of consumers outside of this site.

You're just blaming consumers. There has never been an industry where consumers collectively "punished" a monopoly for high prices. It all boils down to trust-busting and price regulation.

WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX
reply to BlueC
said by BlueC:

Why do you think companies take advantage of everyone?

Because using regulatory capture they have rendered useless the government agencies that were supposed to keep watch over them.

Solutionary

@sbcglobal.net
reply to WernerSchutz
said by WernerSchutz:

"Educate" the consumer ? On what, how to get raped ? "Free market works" ? Really ? Where, in the world of regulatory capture ? How can the consumer "keep the companies accountable" when the consumer is screwed by binding arbitration and the government is NOT doing its job to punish monopolies and collusion agreements ?

If your solution is to regulate the hell out of everything, all you will find is that the corps will find loopholes.

Regulation is supposed to supplement your own due dilligence, not be a substitute for it. THIS is why America has gotten itself into so much trouble. People rely on regulation way too much that they think that they don't have to do their own homework.

WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX

1 recommendation

said by Solutionary :

said by WernerSchutz:

If your solution is to regulate the hell out of everything, all you will find is that the corps will find loopholes.

Regulation is supposed to supplement your own due dilligence, not be a substitute for it. THIS is why America has gotten itself into so much trouble. People rely on regulation way too much that they think that they don't have to do their own homework.

The solution is not to "regulate the hell out of everything" but do some/ANY regulation of these monopolies/duopolies that are monuments of corruption targeted toward the government entities that should do their job and are not doing it.

Punish the corps that ruthlessly find loopholes, close the loopholes. THAT is the government's job, not wait around and rubber stamp corps' written "laws" while waiting for their next job WITH the corps they were supposed to regulate in the first place.

Why not abolish also the EPA, FDA and all the citizen protecting agencies ? Abolish police, let the consumer do the "due diligence" about everything (poisoned water and food, have their own guns to protect against crime, drive half tracks on broken roads) since the government really should do nothing except collect taxes and use the money for wars to enrich the rich corporations even more.

BlueC

Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
said by WernerSchutz:

The solution is not to "regulate the hell out of everything" but do some/ANY regulation of these monopolies/duopolies that are monuments of corruption targeted toward the government entities that should do their job and are not doing it.

Punish the corps that ruthlessly find loopholes, close the loopholes. THAT is the government's job, not wait around and rubber stamp corps' written "laws" while waiting for their next job WITH the corps they were supposed to regulate in the first place.

Why not abolish also the EPA, FDA and all the citizen protecting agencies ? Abolish police, let the consumer do the "due diligence" about everything (poisoned water and food, have their own guns to protect against crime, drive half tracks on broken roads) since the government really should do nothing except collect taxes and use the money for wars to enrich the rich corporations even more.

How companies service their consumers is not the same thing as a company dumping toxic waste into a river.

Take the time to look over the existing regulations and how telcos function. It was never setup to be straight forward. Hell, the government and the corporations work together all the time, and not always to better the consumers.

Consumers being educated means educated votes. Plain and simple. I see more talk about criticism but very few wanting to know/understand more.

WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX
"Educated" votes ? Between what ? 2 corrupt choices when one votes, if at all, for the least worst ?

Only fear will bring the corrupt politicians back where they should be. Only fear of the government's power will bring the corrupt companies back where they belong.

Fear of the people' wrath, not that "educated" feel good mumbo-jumbo. Show me ONE instance where corruption has been fixed by this "education" and not where violence and bloodshed was the tool that fixed (temporarily) the same garbage that we have here, now.

Did "education" of the American's fix the taxation without representation of the colonies and did the Brits apologize and graciously fix their ways or did it take many deaths to get rid of the situation that seems to have caught up with us again ?

What politicians represent the taxpayers' interests and are not working for corporations ? Who will we vote after being "educated" that would not be corrupt and not have any fear to show his corruption since there is no fear of retribution for outright bribery ?

BlueC

Minneapolis, MN
So we should rely on these "corrupt" politicians to fix this for us? My point was that the more consumers know/understand, the more pressure there will be to fix this, as well as innovation to combat it.

WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX
said by BlueC:

So we should rely on these "corrupt" politicians to fix this for us? My point was that the more consumers know/understand, the more pressure there will be to fix this, as well as innovation to combat it.

Uh, yeah, since the "choices" presented will be a) corrupt politician, bad OR b) lying politician becoming corrupt, even worse.

The pressure is for the few to raise in revolt and wake up the idiots that believe what they are told on TV, to reach a critical mass and have the vermin scurry away.

Solutionary

@sbcglobal.net
It still takes "educated" people for REAL action to happen. You're simply asking government to uncorrupt itself, and that will NEVER happen.

Solutionary

@sbcglobal.net
reply to sonicmerlin
As I've said before, regulation is supposed to SUPPLEMENT personal responsibility, not be an outright substitute for it.

You want a corrupt government to uncorrupt itself somehow?