uniqs

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 edit

11 recommendations

No_Strings

Santiago Truck Trail

Yesterday was a dreary Sunday, typical of early summer here in our slice of paradise. June Gloom makes for moderate temperatures, though; an opportunity to explore some SoCal beauty.

Santiago Truck Trail has long been a favorite mountain bike ride for several reasons. The closest semi-legal parking leaves you a mile uphill walk to get to the trail head, making it less crowded than nearby Whiting. Much of the trail is pretty steep with some washouts adjacent to sharp drops. Your average couch potato/ bike path bike denizen isn't going to have a fun day. The face of the climb provides a great view of Orange County all the way to the ocean, although once you switchback a few times you are presented a pristine view of seemingly endless ridges and mountains. There's an oasis near the "end" (for me) of the trail called Old Camp where a rushing stream flows even at the height of the dry season.

This trail was closed for a very long time following the big fire a couple of years ago to give the area time to recover. Sunday, I traded a 24lb. bike for a 30lb. pack of camera gear and headed out. It was my first time there since it reopened and even though it's past the peak season for them, I was treated to a sea of wildflowers. Some were completely new to me.

Pour a cup of coffee and hike along with me, won't you?

Mustard, with South OC beyond

One of thousands of yellow daisies

Some purple blossoms

Caterpillar or flower?

Lots of purple, including this flowering shrub

This one's a bit unique

Purple ground hugger

This beauty was plentiful, on plants as tall as I am

Please keep your hands and feet inside the car at all times

Wish I'd brought the tripod

Something from the other end of the spectrum

A bent yucca along a ridge near where I turned back toward home

Not a bad way to spend a few hours, and it's good to see a favorite haunt recovering so well.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

Nice pictures. I really like the first and last ones.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Thanks. I'll work harder on the middle ones next time.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

said by No_Strings:

Thanks. I'll work harder on the middle ones next time.

Apparently you're more in touch with the feminine side than CB is.
Great pics and looked like a great day for a hike.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Thank you. I was wishing I had my camera this weekend for some bird shots. A bunch of folks from work goaded me into a bike ride along the Santa Ana river from Anaheim to Corona and back. Egrets, herons, cormorants, swallows, ducks, mergansers (I think).

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

Is it a paved ride along the entire river stream.
I can't get myself to call that a river

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Yes, it's a paved bike trail and follows the Santa Ana from the ocean to the mountains. »www.santaanarivertrail.o ··· map.html

Part of the year, it's more of a creek, and it's horribly constrained by concrete but on Saturday it was a river.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

I know it can become a river but in my opinion a river should have rushing water year round . It would seem to make the ride much nicer with lots of water.
cdma
join:2004-06-19
SoCal

cdma to No_Strings

to No_Strings
Great shots! Keep them coming!