how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
And after you list all your stolen software, can you please leave your name and address so it'll make it easier on law officials to find you!

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1
reply to Ryan
I do have AceMoney which I paid for ... but I wouldn't say I couldn't live without it. Pen and paper worked before it and I can go back to that if I had to. But this sure makes it easier.

Other than the OS I don't have any other paid for software. Not even office suite as I use Open Office.

flect

join:2006-05-31
reply to Ryan
Only two apps really stand out: Visual Studio 2010 and Paint Shop Pro 9.

Another paid app which is essential, but has free, though slightly inferior, equivalents is PDF X-Change Viewer.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Ryan
There isn't anything I couldn't live without, either free or paid.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to Ryan
Won't say "can't live without," for I will still be alive without them , however I do pay for Diskeeper Pro, Auslogics Registry Defrag, Acronis True Image and SUPERAntiSpyware (real time). The rest are freebies.

EDIT: Oh, also paid for MS Office 2011 for my Macs, and MS Word 2007 for my PC.....forgot those. I do not pirate software. Maybe cause I used to be a Prosecutor.
--

If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.

jeff17

join:2000-12-11
US
reply to Ryan
People buy software?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to Ryan
Probably PowerDesk. Been using it since Version 1 when it came on one floppy.

There are others like it out there but I prefer this one.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Ryan
Other than legally licensed copies of Windows O/S and its add-ons, my tax and accounting software and one copy of MS Office, everything I use is legally free and/or open source.

I have found no decent or trustworthy accounting applications nor any tax packages. given the cost of development and maintenance, I can't imagine any such stuff ever being open source, although some returns can be done online at no cost, they don't fit our needs.
--
Follow your dreams, except the one where you're naked in church.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to Ryan
said by Ryan:

(with the exception of the OS and office suite that is)

Why exclude office suites? Many people don't use Microsoft Office. If MS gave it to me for free, I'd still use OpenOffice.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

Other than legally licensed copies of Windows O/S and its add-ons...

Same...and I'd add Ad-Muncher »www.admuncher.com/

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Ryan
This is besides games, right? I paid for many of those because many of the best are multi million dollar productions done in professional graphics and music studios, which foss can't pull off yet. Last app I paid for that is actually indespensable is ASProxy for my Android. I use that on wifi hotspots to tunnel connections to my ssh tunnel to my home pc via connectbot. I proudly pay for Crossover Games. Nice, not essential, but helps the wine foss project. Thus, I feel it's money well placed. PlayOn, while buggy, is essential to play Netflix on devices I want. It works well with Netflix, but only allows 1 client to stream Netflix from it at 1 time.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Ryan
Heck. I've paid, over the years, for many programs. Some were yearly subscriptions and some, once paid for, good forever. I find nothing that I cannot live without, but I do find some programs that I gladly pay for. I just have to be judicious and see if there is any program out there that is free that does the same thing that a paid one does.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Ryan
I'll continue to pay for Radmin and some version of Photoshop Elements (I don't upgrade it very often).

(Teamviewer is great for free, quick/dirty remote access but the high quality and speed of the viewer for Radmin just can't be beat).

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Ryan
Currently, I have McAfee security. That's because it came pre-installed in my computer. When the subscription ends, I'll switch to MSE.

I also have Acronis, and the H&R Block tax preparation software. I can't think of anything else off-hand. I am guessing that the DVD software that came preinstalled is also paid software.

Back in the DOS era, I had a number of paid programs. But since then, Microsoft has asserted its monopoly power, and most of the software I had been selecting has gone from the scene.

There is still software creativity, but much of that is in the free open source community.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.4; firefox 4.0

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to darcilicious
Oh, I would have included SageTV in my post above but not now they've been bought out by Google and it's not even POSSIBLE to buy their software any longer.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Ryan
Acronis TI, Raxco PD, Nero, Cyberlink PowerDVD11 Ultra, WinPatrol Plus, NIS 2011, Slysoft CloneDVD/AnyDVD HD, SAS Pro, DVDFab...probably more. I also use FREE alternatives to many of the above paid applications for other PC's in my household if licensing does not permit "2" installations.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

2 recommendations

reply to jeff17
said by jeff17:

People buy software?

Usually, when they grow up; unless they're using an open source OS with open license applications.

Paula
Premium
join:2000-10-12
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Ryan
For me it's Photoshop and DVD Fab.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Ryan
Pavtube

Garvaon
Premium
join:2004-05-27
Toronto, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Usually, when they grow up; unless they're using an open source OS with open license applications.

Even on Windows you can do quite nicely with free software. I use my computer professionally, so there is plenty of commercial software I'd consider essential, but if I was just using it for personal use, I can't think of anything I'd absolutely need, other than the OS, and even there, I would be willing to live in Linux if it wasn't for games. I don't consider gaming essential, but it is one of the few areas where I spend any money on software that's not for business.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to Ryan
Cant think of anything other than the OS (ultimately linux OS environment is no alternative to Windows for all around desktop).

I love all of my free and open source software better than paid versions.. Although if I was really into photos I'd say Photoshop because even though GIMP is very powerful, I like the feel of Photoshop better.
--
35/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Ryan
•Adobe Photoshop is something I can not live without, since much of what I shoot is destined for print the likes of GIMP and Paint.Net and other packages just do not cut the bill because of their lack of Soft Proofing and Profile abilities primarily, but there are other areas for the serious designer and photographer that the others do lack in as well, sadly. Not to mention I program actions, scripts, and such for use within PS, so I kind of need to have it, lol.

•Adobe Lightroom is beginning to be one that I can not live without either, but mainly just for the quick and easy streamlined organizing and batch editing abilities.

•Gemology Tools Professional(GTPro) is another can not live without.

•GemCadWin

•Bryce

•Fast Picture Viewer 64bit

•NeatImage Pro Plus

•PicaJetFX prior to Lightroom

•Dynamic-Photo HDR

•SageLightEditor prior to Lightroom, and still use it now for some of the features it does better then Lightroom does.

•Ocean Optics SpectraSuite

•WinPatrol Plus

•DigiTools Actions

•Acronis TI

•SAS Pro

And, YES, I paid for and own legit licenses for all of them! And NO, there is nothing out there free that can even remotely do what these all do except for the Fast Picture Viewer, but none do it quite like that program does!
--
Images are Copyrighted and use is NOT
permitted.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Ryan
Quickbooks is the only reason my business has one Windows box at all besides the need to test web sites in IE. The Gimp does everything a web business needs over Photoshop. If I had the time, I'd buy AutoCad for the occasional idea. I used to own Final Cut Pro for the Mac but my son does all that now. Otherwise there's nothing listed so far that doesn't have an equal or superior on FreeBSD and Linux.

People *pay* for unzipping (WinRAR) tools?!!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Garvaon
said by Garvaon:

Even on Windows you can do quite nicely with free software.

Ohh, for sure; but it shouldn't be surprising to someone that people 'buy software'. Paint.NET is nice and GIMP is okay, but neither of them are Adobe Photoshop.

I run quite a mix of paid / free software... and also free software I've donated to.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by Garvaon:

Paint.NET is nice and GIMP is okay, but neither of them are Adobe Photoshop.

Far too many people buy Photoshop and don't use half its capabilities. The Gimp does everything most people need and more.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

Howard.. appreciate your tenacity..but you can't speak for everyone.

It's personal preference what people will use, need and like..and pay for (see title of thread)

Especially our people here - folks that probably have run the gamut of apps till they settled on what they are most comfortable with.

You can't tell folks your alternatives are better.

--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

GlennH
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Golden, CO
reply to Ryan
J. River Media Center
Directory Opus
Quicken

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to Ryan
I've bought almost every version of Money produced since 1994. As a result, I forgot how to use check book for keeping my expenditures. Thus, it become essential software to buy (close to the category of this discussion). Every new version was getting bigger and bigger (I feel guilty myself for "overfunding" the project, contributing to it every year ). And each new version had required conversion of database file, making it bigger and bigger every time. Finally, they've produced a monster, that I barely can run on my computers ... and stopped the development. So, even if I wanted, I couldn't pay for it anymore.

No, there is no application that I can't live without (besides OS itself) and which can't be replaced with free version. But I don't need running an AutoCAD, Photoshop or similar application too.

At the same time, putting focus back on money aspect, I have to admit, there are some free applications, that worth a good donation...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Ryan
said by Ryan:

Just curious, but anyone actually pay for any software that you cant live without? (with the exception of the OS and office suite that is). Seems like there are pretty much oss or free software for almost everything now and the days of shareware seem to be dwindling.

As for myself WinRAR and Image for windows are probably my only applications that I love and have paid for. I have purchased a few apps in the past, but over the years either better free alternatives have arisen or support went extinct.

It just seems as if the free software is as good as the paid software now.

The software market is saturated.
for every pay title theres at least 10 free options
--
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.