SB6120 resetting regularly

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Aug 12 2010 13:58:19

I've been looking through this forum and have seen a handful of other people having similar issues with the SB6120, but none of them were using Comcast as their ISP. Someone in one of those threads mentioned a 1.0.5.x firmware version available from Cox in their area, and I was wondering if Comcast would have access to the same firmware, or if I could somehow get it elsewhere.

My modem is resetting often, sometimes 2-3 times per hour. In my logs I see lots of the following:

"Jan 01 1970 00:01:18 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"
and "Jan 01 1970 00:01:06 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing"

These seem to pop up every time my modem resets itself, and when my connection is lost entirely (for 5-20 minutes usually) I get
"Jan 01 1970 00:00:12 6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout."

The T4 type disconnection is very new and likely caused by maintenance that they have been doing in my area recently, but the modem resetting issue has been going on for many many months, increasing in frequency over time. It was rare at first, then became a daily occurrence, and now happens so much that I can't do anything that requires a sustained connection.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Should I just go buy a new modem that doesn't have this sort of issue? (if so, which do you suggest?)

Thanks ahead of time!

utahman24

@comcast.net
I am having the same problem on Comcast in Utah. My modem is not a rental. I own it. About a week ago it started. I am showing the same logs... although I just noticed that my dates are Jan 1970. Maybe that has something to do with it.... My internet died while posting this and would not come back. I called comcast who reset my modem and said that they needed to send a tech out Monday to check my signal quality. I will report back with their results.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to susugam
The January 1970 dates are typical when the modem has not yet synced time from the Comcast server.

I am using an SB6120 on Comcast in Oregon and not experiencing any issues. My guess would be signal problems. Let's see what utahman24's technician says.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to susugam
It's not too likely to be the modem.
susugam See Profile please provide this info »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help! back in this thread, and maybe we can help answer your questions
BTW signal problem are the most common cause of frequent rebooting.

Utahman24 if you also want help please post the same info in a new thread (keeping help thread seperate, prevents some confusion, even when some symtoms sound similar, the cause in different areas can be something different.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
reply to susugam
Go to »192.168.100.1, find and post your signal levels. There's no reason to suspect a fairly new modem would cause such an issue at this point.
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

susugam

join:2011-06-23
Katy, TX
reply to susugam
Click for full size
Signal levels
Click for full size
Logs, sans MAC's
Alright, I'll start from the top.

1) Your location: Katy, TX

2) Modem resetting

3) Is the issue intermittent, constant or does it occur at a specific time of day? Intermittent, fully random.

4) Your modem make, model & firmware version.
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH

5) Describe any home networking if applicable: Direct connection from router to computer.

6) List any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed. Only basic windows 7 firewall.

• What indicator lights does the modem have and the current status of each. (i.e. constant or blinking)
-During resets, everything goes out except the power light, as the modem then reconnects normally. During normal connection, Solid green for Power, Send, and Online. Solid blue for Receive, and blinking blue for Link.

• Post the modem's Signal Levels & Log Entries
- Attached

• Give a description of the cable & splitters configuration in your home leading to the modem.
-Directly connected to my wall. I don't know beyond that, because I'm in an apartment.

Somp

@comcast.net
reply to susugam
I had the same No ranging response and T3 time out, fewer T4 time out with modem reset. In my case, it was the setting in the router that check Use Unicast in the internet setup section, Unchecked this and my SB6120 no longer has these logs and reset itself for more than a month now.

susugam

join:2011-06-23
Katy, TX
I do have a router, but I disconnected it the first time I called comcast to have them look into it, and have been using the direct connection since then. Maybe the router itself would filter that out a bit? I don't have any idea what Unicast is, so I dunno.

My problem however happens with and without the router in the picture.

Thanks for the info though. I'll try it out.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to susugam
IMHO this does not appear to be a signal problem. Your signals look just fine. All other data you provided looks OK too.

Could be an intermittent connection through the apartment's wiring or could be a bad modem (unlikely but possible).

You could try posting in the Comcast Direct forum for more personalized help.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to susugam
There are two additional signal stats which can't be read at the modem level. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility. They are the 'Upstream Receive Power Level' and the 'Upstream uSNR' (Signal To Noise Ratio). Both of these are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats. You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -10dB to +10dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect. The Upstream SNR should be least 30dB, and the higher it is the better. You could have a noise ingress issue in the upstream channel.

wiz561

join:2004-09-28
Just letting you know that I'm having the same exact problems as you are. It started happening a few months ago and I read somewhere that it *might* be a connection problem. I ran new coax from the CM to the drop outside and it seemed to make the problem disappear. I've been away for a few days, and when I came back today, the modem's going crazy. I really hope when I hit submit, it submits.

I called Comcast and they're sending a tech out next week. Annoying because I kinda wonder if they will push the blame on me for whatever reason. My experience is that they either can't fix it or it's a problem on my end.

Strangely enough, my neighbor said that the comcast line was cut the other day as they have been doing some grading in the area. Another thing that was a shock was to see that the main comcast trunk lines to the tombstones are only about 2 inches (if that) below sod. I'm not talking about the coax I had to trench myself to bury my own cable, I'm talking about the main lines. I'm just waiting for me to rake the grass and get a shock because somebody didn't feel like burying the lines deep enough.

Sorry about the rant. Comcast has never really been my favorite, and I really have no other options to choose from where I'm at. I really do hope that they can fix the problem, but we'll see what happens...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to susugam
N.M. Mods please delete.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to wiz561
Not all trunk lines have voltage and even if it does its only 60 volts. Just a tingle and a rake isnt going to do it as you have to puncture the trunk to even get to it.