how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djanis36

join:2011-07-07

1 edit

A question about upstream channel bonding

I have a SB6120 that had upstream bonding and both send/receive blue LEDs for the past couple of months (3 upstream channels if I remember correctly from the config page). I had to power cycle my modem and now I only have one upstream channel in the config page (green LED on send) despite a couple of additional power cycles. Is it normal for that to happen? I'm in suburban Chicago and have ultra.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Try using the "Reset All Defaults" and then the "Reboot Cable Modem" radio buttons in the user interface instead of unplugging it.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

also what are your return levels? if too high it wont be able to bond
--
I'm better than you!

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL
reply to djanis36

Click for full size
Interesting. I've had upstream too for a month or so, 'net went down for a few minutes, rebooted my 6120, and no longer have upstream bonding either. Did someone pull the switch too early in some areas? Panama City Beach here.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

32qam?!!? ummmm i would like to think they are playing around with the config files on the cmts......
--
I'm better than you!

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

Is 32 QAM good or bad? I called tech support because I have a business account, and the girl I talked to was IM'ing 2nd level/engineering who told her it will supposedly lock another channel if it's needed. I just did an FTP of about 300 megs to our server and it went through at about 5 Mbps, which is the rated speed for my level. It never locked additional channels, but maybe because there was no congestion. She said it's on an as needed basis. She also sounded dumber than a box of rocks, so take it with a grain of salt.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA

I had upstream bonding this morning, I rebooted my modem and now I have no upstream bonding either.

djanis36

join:2011-07-07
reply to gar187er

Click for full size
Here are my current values. I tried the reset/restart in the settings but it came back online with almost identical results.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA

I'm in the same boat as you :/

LordStig

join:2011-06-15
Fremont, CA
reply to djanis36

Over the last few days I have had very high speeds on Blast, generally around 37/7. I rebooted my SB6120 this afternoon and I am now unable to get upstream channel bonding. I have had upstream channel bonding for at least six months if I remember correctly. Also I am in Fremont, CA so this seems like a system wide issue.

flashback

join:2008-09-17
Chicago, IL
reply to djanis36

Click for full size
Before
Click for full size
After
Same here in Chicago... We just received upstream channel bonding a few weeks ago and today when I power cycled because I got an email stating they've upgraded my speed and now my modem today it's only picking up one channel.

It would seem as if they've pulled the plug on upstream channeling bonding, I'm wondering why.

rmdir

Chicago, IL

They just sent a survey since I'm a business customer, so I suggested they respond to this thread. I'm concerned because I'm in a residential area, so I want the load balancing that multiple channels offer. I feel like I've backslided to doc 1.X

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

1 recommendation

you guys realize most system dont have upstream bonding yet, right? to have seen it is more then most.....

also i wouldnt worry that much about upload balancing....not like the upload is heavily saturated.....more often its noise thats an issue on the upstream, as opposed to being overworked.....unlike the downstream which can slow to crawl during evening hours cause of all the streaming going on....

its a far cry from d1.1....
--
I'm better than you!

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL

What does it mean that I am on 32QAM? You have to admit it is odd, that a number of people in a number of areas had it, then lost it. Kind of a tease...

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

1 recommendation

its a less robust modulation scheme...kinda useless, as most mso's skipped right over using 32qam and went from 16qam to 64qam......you area might suffer from more impulse noise, or cb activity which might warrant using a 32qam (less susceptible to noise then 64qam, while being more robust the 16qam)....still very rare to see it now days.....

while its been a tease or sorts, theres been no official release of it, just sort of a widespread testing....
--
I'm better than you!

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to djanis36

Just to add, same thing happened to me here in Detroit. Lost power to the house and now I can't get upstream bonding again.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

oedidoopidus

@spcsdns.net
reply to gar187er

32QAM is pretty common around here. I used to have it, but was recently bumped to 64 and then to two 64s and a 16. I have seen 32/16 bonding as well as single 32QAM upstreams in neighboring cities.

I guess we're just weird.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to djanis36

There is a modem model currently in the field that is somehow kicking other modems on a node offline. In my area they have suspended upstream bonding while this is worked out, somehow this is stopping that form happening. This is what i was told and is strictly hearsay. THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL Technical difficulties basically.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

doubtful.....seeing as this is happening acorss the country.....unless a bootfile doesnt play well with bonding....
--
I'm better than you!

Bluedog

@comcast.net

Upsteam channel bonding is also gone in Pembroke Pines (Ft. Lauderdale, FL area). Upload speeds are also down. Bonding offered great performance but I was getting occasional modem lock ups.

aeyeaws

join:2006-01-20
Richmond Hill, GA

down to one channel south of savannah ga

had alot of errors in modem log 7-9

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to djanis36

its possible a cmts update caused issues too....only engi's who work in those bonding areas would know for sure.....
--
I'm better than you!

rosh325

join:2009-11-03
reply to djanis36

For what it's worth, just wanted to add I'm having the same issue in Chicago. Was bonding 3 channels and enjoying upgraded speeds after the e-mail from Comcast, but now I'm down to one channel and my upload speeds are iffy compared to before (but I'm sure there are other factors going into that).

rmdir

Chicago, IL
reply to djanis36

I've got an SMC since I'm business class, so it's not just limited to 51 and 6120's. Must be a system wide problem.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to djanis36

Central PA...lost mine in a reboot also (down to 1 up)

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

its possible a cmts update caused issues too....only engi's who work in those bonding areas would know for sure.....

very plausible, D3 had been working then bam! We started getting random lost syncs on D3 equipment. Beat ourselves up for a week trying to figure out what was going on, thought it was a local issue.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by trythisfirst :

very plausible, D3 had been working then bam! We started getting random lost syncs on D3 equipment. Beat ourselves up for a week trying to figure out what was going on, thought it was a local issue.

"D3" is still working on the down ?

trythisfirst

@comcast.net

said by EG:

said by trythisfirst :

"D3" is still working on the down ?

This entire thread was about upstream bonding though, i though people would understand.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Indeed it was.

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to djanis36

dang I'm bummed so it seems upstream bonding was a test?

we never got it in our area

if nothing else I was hoping for another blue led on my modem because it looks better then green on black plus it would match the blue leds on the other electronics sitting next to my modem lol

btw I'm curious would upstream reduce the ping times to you(upload) as evident in the line quality - ping test tool on the site?