uniqs
share rss forum feed

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

[MA] Hurricane Season

Great! I didn't even think I would have to worry about hurricanes when we moved to NE. It was one of the pluses of living here. (I have had bad nightmares abut drowning in water and trying to save my son at same time- so hurricanes scare the shit out of me)

And now, everyone is talking about how MASS may get hit with a huge hurricane come Aug!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
Who is the "everyone" talking about that? I haven't heard a peep from anyone worried about hurricanes this summer...

We mostly get the remnants of hurricanes here, just a big windy storm with lots of rain, but not heavy enough wind to still qualify as a hurricane. Very occasionally (like once a decade) we might get a real hurricane coming through, but not very powerful, just a category 1 or something. It's very difficult for those storms to retain their energy after traveling up the coast and hitting the colder waters of New England.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
reply to ebgbjo
It gets talked about every year, and it could happen, simply because of the geography of Ma. In fact, major hurricanes are not frequent visitors. Close calls or near misses have happened over the years.

Here is a listing of significant Hurricanes to impact this State over the years. Are we due? Who knows;

»www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsmodulec···id=Eeops

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to Sarah
They are strumming on and on about it in the local newspaper like it is the biggest news. Maybe they are just sick of talking about the debt and woman going unseen in the swimming pool

»www.heraldnews.com/topstories/x3···he-ready

»www.heraldnews.com/topstories/x1···rricanes

»www.heraldnews.com/topstories/x1···ays-easy

»www.heraldnews.com/topstories/x1···urricane

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to ebgbjo
Writers are "just mailing it in".

Some tree damage from Gloria and a bunch from Bob. And bees.

Last year Hurricane My Name is Earl turned into a party and barely watered the lawn. I work 8 feet above sea-level.

Prepared, not paranoid. Bread, milk, beer. Some gas for the chainsaw and cigarettes.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to ebgbjo
Have a "Hurricane" party.
If/when we get one, it amounts to no more then a "nor'easter" but without the snow.

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to ebgbjo
I lived on the coast in Florida for over 2 decades. We never got hit by a hurricane. The chances of getting his in Massachusetts is a fraction of Florida. If I thought Massachusetts would be hit by a hurricane I'd be playing the lotto also. The odds aren't there for either.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
Ingredients:

1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice or lime juice (your choice)
4 ounces dark rum
4 ounces passion fruit syrup
Crushed ice
Orange and/or lime slice
1 Maraschino Cherry

OR:

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
At Pat O'briens with live music is just fine with me!!

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Checked hurricane supplies. Ordered 12 packets of mix. Storm Flag set is found.

My Cool Story about first time to Pat O'Brien's:
I delivered a boat from West Palm Beach to N'Awlins. Went to do some drinking, final goal was to get a Hurricane Glass from P O'B.
I had a healthy(un?) stack of take-out cups and the P O'B glass when I got back to the boat.
Dropped the glass in the water boarding the boat... No break, just a straight Bloop...

I have a couple that have been donated to me since.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
After a few Hurricanes, I might have blooped right in to pursue the cherished glass.

I have fond memories of O'Briens...or should I say partial memories. At least, I have a picture of myself and my wife to prove I was there on one of my trips.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Click for full size
Driveway shot
Click for full size
Backyard
Click for full size
Me and POP
Ironies of the day. Went to the Antique Center and saw a booklet about Bob for $15. I have one in better shape. Came home and MOM has been going through pix recently. Scanned these.
BOB, August 19,1991. Years of firewood. 26 trees of size enough to be counted on .95 acre.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HenryFarpolo
said by HenryFarpolo:

After a few Hurricanes, I might have blooped right in to pursue the cherished glass.

I have fond memories of O'Briens...or should I say partial memories. At least, I have a picture of myself and my wife to prove I was there on one of my trips.

If you don't have a Cool Story or some fuzzy patches of memory about Pat O'Brien's, you were doing it wrong.

As far as diving in THAT water, I'd have been dead of Acute Alcohol Poisoning before the thought ran across my mind.

I looked in my Mardi Gras box and found 2 more glasses and 2 mix-pax I seemed to have missed last year.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to capecoddah
Thanks for posting the photos. Was there much flooding? That is what worries me the most

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
said by ebgbjo:

Thanks for posting the photos. Was there much flooding? That is what worries me the most

Those photos are 60-70 feet above sea level.
I lived before AND after on boats at zero sea level.

You'll be OK Army Wife. It's just like a tornado kit but you have more warning. 30 feet above flood don't worry much. Make friends with the Coast Guard Wives. I'd say they are the smartest wives by branch I know.

You'll be OK, New Englander! (Not a REAL one, but...)

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
said by ebgbjo:

I know of a few boats lost and some flooding but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

If you happen to drive by my house or Motel Hell and see these

you might have reason for concern.

»www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie···rricane/

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
Thanks for the heads up...lol

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Forecast for 2011 Hurricane Season Grows Stormier, Says NOAA

Read more: »www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/···UiaRBny0

The forecast for the upcoming hurricane season looks more severe than earlier models had predicted, the nation's top meteorologists said Thursday.

The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season will produce 14-19 named storms, 7 to 10 of which will become hurricanes, the U.S. government's weather agency said Thursday -- raising its hurricane forecast to an 85 percent chance that the season will be above average.

Read more: »www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/···UibRFNbb

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
said by capecoddah:

Forecast for 2011 Hurricane Season Grows Stormier, Says NOAA

Read more: »www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/···UiaRBny0

The forecast for the upcoming hurricane season looks more severe than earlier models had predicted, the nation's top meteorologists said Thursday.

The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season will produce 14-19 named storms, 7 to 10 of which will become hurricanes, the U.S. government's weather agency said Thursday -- raising its hurricane forecast to an 85 percent chance that the season will be above average.

Read more: »www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/···UibRFNbb

We made it threw much much worse. In prospective this season isn't going to be bad.

"2011 is unlikely to be as severe as the 2010 hurricane season, however. The 2010 hurricane season was predicted to be devastating, with as many as 14 hurricanes; it ended up as the third most active on record, though none made landfall in the United States."