join:2011-07-12
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

Slow DSL speeds, need help with deciphering wireshark graphs

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
after power cycling modem. Sometimes will help speeds, most of the time it will not during peak hours.
Have a 6016/768 account and have been experiencing slow dsl speeds for about a month now.
About a month ago my modem lost sync. Tried two different modems and same result., no sync.Tech came out and said that my inside lines check out fine and added a filter to box outside and said was good to go.
Next day lost sync a couple of times and speeds slowed to a crawl again.Called tech out again the next day and he advised that he stopped by the box on the way to house and switched my line to another port which should fix the issue. Of course the speeds were back up when he arrived, and there was nothing to trouble shoot.

I have not had any issues or problems up until a month ago when it lost sync.

Son plays a lot of xbox and says the slow downs appear to be during peak hours. Seems fine late night and early mornings.

Thanks,

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
Ugh.

#4 graph has the characteristic appearance of a congested gateway router (redback or BRAS). Parts of #2 and all of #3 might be showing the same, but the packet speed variations seem more diffuse over time and not the with the typically rapid slow down and then rapid speed up pattern that maybe due to a memory buffer filling and then emptying, e.g. like in #4.

#1 graph looks to have TCP/IP layer slowdowns from the server maybe due to overloads on the backbone or possibly due to excess server loads. This isn't a gateway router slowdown problem like in #4.

Loss of sync problems would indicate a DSL layer problem on your line which is separate from any gateway router problems!

If you can consistently see #4 like graphs in the evening slowdowns, then you should post a trouble thread in AT&T Direct: »AT&T Direct explaining the evening slowdowns. Only Direct can fix this type of problem by having your circuit switched to a less congested gateway router.

However, If you are still having the sync drop problem, perhaps you should post your modem type and its stats here so that that we can attempt a diagnosis of the cause. Direct can handle two separate problems on your line, but you might be able to speed up the problem resolution if your Direct thread presents both problems from the git go.
--
TCE Weather

Land Cruiser

join:2011-07-12
Little Rock, AR
d_l,
Have not had the loss of sync issue for a while now.
Main issue is with the degradation of speed.

I have a Speed Stream 5260 (tech was surprised to see this one still in use) and a 5100. No stats from the 5260 and limited from the 5100.

Thanks for the reply.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to Land Cruiser