mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

Outbound calls show number as 15142285030

Outbound calls show number as 15142285030 any idea why?

My phone number is a 416 number but users that are receiving my call are getting the 514 number displayed. I am using a PAP2-T adapter.

Outbound settings in VOIP.ms panel show my number as display number. Inbound calls work fine they get to my phone when users dial our 416 number.
mau108

mau108

Premium Member

It seems to be an issue with the routing. Value the above happens, switch to premium and it shows correct number.

This sucks, hope voip.ms fixes it. Put in a request.
mau108

mau108

Premium Member

This is the response I got, wtf! It was working fine (since March) up until yesterday.
quote:
Hello *****

Please note that CallerID and DTMF reliability is not 100% guaranteed on our value routes at this time. We are working with our value providers to improve this, however at the moment we can only guarantee callerid and DTMF on our premium route.

Also, when calling to a Canada cell phone, the caller ID not always is display the correct way, due that Canadian Cell phone companies handle this information in a different way and the some companies use a generic Caller ID just to connect the call.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Why would I pay a premium for the premium service when I can get unlimited services for as little as 10 bucks a month that guarantee my caller ID will be displayed on every call I make out.

suppafly
Premium Member
join:2009-11-27

suppafly

Premium Member

Per the VoIP.ms Wiki:

"Please note that the caller ID is only guaranteed while using premium route, and only for US48 and Canada calls, even though you may find your caller ID working on Value route for some routes."

»wiki.voip.ms/article/Caller_ID

Thank you
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to mau108

Premium Member

to mau108
This has always been the case with Voip.MS, and they have been very upfront about it.

For calls in Canada, their Premium rates are pretty good, and their Value rates are truly good.

So there are always tradeoffs---yes, on their Value carriers, there may be CID issues.
said by mau108:

Why would I pay a premium for the premium service when I can get unlimited services for as little as 10 bucks a month that guarantee my caller ID will be displayed on every call I make out.

Who is that? I'd be quite curious as to which provider (that operates in Canada) has good quality, guaranteed CID, and unlimited calling for "as little as 10 bucks a month".

I just can't think of any.

And what about all the Voip.MS features?

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

This has always been the case with Voip.MS, and they have been very upfront about it.

For calls in Canada, their Premium rates are pretty good, and their Value rates are truly good.

So there are always tradeoffs---yes, on their Value carriers, there may be CID issues.

said by mau108:

Who is that? I'd be quite curious as to which provider (that operates in Canada) has good quality, guaranteed CID, and unlimited calling for "as little as 10 bucks a month".

I just can't think of any.

And what about all the Voip.MS features?

Sun Sonic

»www.sunsonic.ca/resident ··· one.html

My uncle uses it as his home phone replacement and it's perfect in every way.

Ok so what has changed in voip.ms since March that has caused this ?

This is how much I'm currently using since August 1 - 15. This is with the incoming minutes for 4.95 from Voip.ms

Calls: 328 | Duration: 30:42:02 | Total: $3.9944373

Also there is freephoneline.ca
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by mau108:

Sun Sonic....

....Also there is freephoneline.ca

Neither of those companies has the advanced features of Voip.MS, nor the backup and support.

And you are absolutely wrong on the money issues:

a) The SunSonic plan that you mentioned at $ 9.99 a month requires a year's payment, otherwise it is $ 14.99 a month.

AND THAT [SUNSONIC] PLAN IS FOR LOCAL CALLS ONLY----
NON-LOCAL CALLS ARE EXTRA!

b) Freephoneline.ca requires $ 50 for your SIP credentials, and furthermore there are many Canadian destinations that are NOT callable for free.

But do as you will....
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to mau108

to mau108
If you can live with the $50 minimum payment (one year expiration) and the technical hurdles, you might try Voxbeam premium routing. It's certainly inexpensive enough at $0.0025/min. to Ontario area codes, with six second billing increment.

You get $1 credit at signup, so you can test quality and CLI delivery without making a payment.

I don't know whether they offer Canada origination (if you even care).

EvilWrong
join:2009-11-17
Laval, QC

EvilWrong to mau108

to mau108
same issue for me with voip.ms sometime i have the wrong caller id never hapen before and i stat to use voip.ms in march but now when i call in value mode sometime i have wrong caller id.. is very stupid i can't understand can they put anonyme until wrong name or number ? because that mean value mode is useless. i change for premium mode averyting is fine but a double price..;( i want to help people around me to change to voip but now i don't think is a big deal compare to my cable distributor(videotron) for land line. think twice before you change. for me is good because i don't talk alot on phone mean i save money..

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to mau108

to mau108
I've got exactly the same problem, with the same wrong caller ID number.

Contacted tech support and this is what they told me too... use premium.

I understand Value plan may have this kind of problems -from time to time-, but it happened a lot in the last few days. I have been with voip.ms since february, and it never happened once before. There must be something wrong somewhere. Maybe not with VoIP.ms, but something changedé

The strange thing is that it seems to be only with my Videotron cell phone. If I call my Bell cellphone it works... or maybe it was only luck.

What kind of phones were you calling when it happened?

EvilWrong
Laval, QC

EvilWrong

apen when i call friend with videotron land line.. and if i try on my Rogers cell always work but like you say maybe is luck.. but look like we have all the same problem starting to apen more now then couple week a go. maybe some phone land company starting to discover a lot a people going to voip let make ther life harder ?

sorry for my poor english..

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate

said by EvilWrong:

apen when i call friend with videotron land line.. and if i try on my Rogers cell always work but like you say maybe is luck.. but look like we have all the same problem starting to apen more now then couple week a go. maybe some phone land company starting to discover a lot a people going to voip let make ther life harder ?

So, you too seem to have this problem only with Videotron. That may be our problem.

Mau108, who were you calling when the caller ID was wrong? I believe 1-514-228-5030 may be a number belonging to Videotron.

The support guy I talked too eplained me that when the phone company cannot receive the caller ID for whatever reason they may replace the number by a "default" number to make sure the call still goes through.
Dee Bee
Premium Member
join:2005-05-08
St Catharines, ON

2 edits

Dee Bee to mau108

Premium Member

to mau108
I use Voip.ms on premium and have never had a problem with caller id.
Why not switch to premium for a week or two and see if that fixes the problem.
Voip.ms has always said that caller id on value routing cannot be guaranteed.
Also, since you're using so few minutes per month I don't see why premium would be a burden.
You know companies have to make some money to stay in business. I'm sure you don't work for free...do you?
If you are annoyed at the extra expense then there are alot of other voip providers.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

1+

Even at the so-called Premium price, Voip.MS is a very good value.

Especially compared to Bell and so forth!

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to Dee Bee

to Dee Bee
Sorry but we've already been told that premium should fix the problem. So you two don't help us at all here.

I'm quite sure the number 1-514-228-5030 belongs to Videotron and I'm still waiting for an answer from may108 to confirm this and call Videotron to see if they can do something about it.

Also, I understand "Value" may have some problems from time to time, and I accept it. But when >75% of the calls to my cellphone don't work properly, it's because there is a real problem somewhere and it must be fixed.
said by Dee Bee:

You know companies have to make some money to stay in business. I'm sure you don't work for free...do you?

Thank you for that very helpfull post.

You know, if VoIP.ms couldn't get enough money with "Value", the wouldn't offer it or they would raise the price.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by PatPatate:

I'm quite sure the number 1-514-228-5030 belongs to Videotron and I'm still waiting for an answer from may108 to confirm this and call Videotron to see if they can do something about it.

That specific number belongs to MTS Allstream.

-------------------------------------

You guys seem to feel the Value service is worthless because of this one issue.

What you don't seem to grasp is that a lot of customers don't care about this specific issue, and are appreciative of the very cheap rates.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

2 edits

PatPatate

You know, I do appreciate VoIP.ms. I haven't said anything bad about them.

What I don't like is you and Dee Bee who says something along the lines of "shut up and be happy to pay less".

My feeling is that if it would have happened once or twice, OK, blame it on value routing. But it happened much more than that and it worked perfectly before. Something, somewhere, changed and is not working properly anymore. Maybe it's VoIP.ms who changed some stuff to keep the cost low, I don't know. If it's something along those line, then fine. I would understand why value is not what I want.

In other words, I want to know why I have to use premium now if it worked before on value?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate
said by PatPatate:

Also, I understand "Value" may have some problems from time to time, and I accept it. But when >75% of the calls to my cellphone don't work properly, it's because there is a real problem somewhere and it must be fixed.

That assumption is incorrect, your call while using the "value" provider is working exactly as promised. Just because it did work the way you would like for a while does not mean something is broke now and/or needs to be fixed. A different provider could be used to handle that route now or that provider may have changed around some equipment for what ever reason.
said by PatPatate:

In other words, I want to know why I have to use premium now if it worked before on value?

Unless you're calling yourself a lot, what makes you think it was always "working" before? Not to pick on you, but your posts make it sound like you're wanting VOIP.ms to "fix" something. What that's really asking is for them to support a service level on the value routing that they clearly state is not supported.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to mau108

to mau108
What the fuck is wrong with you?

I observed a certain behavior:

- When my girlfriend called me from home, the called ID -always- worked fine.

Then that behavior changed :
- About 75% of the calls from home started to show the wrong caller ID.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY? I'M NOT ASKING TO FIX IT, I WANT TO -UNDERSTAND-.

I know about value route not being guaranted for caller id... BUT IT DOESN'T EXPLAIN WHY IT WORKED BEFORE AND THAT NOW IT DOESN'T.

So, if you can't answer WHY THE DAMN THING CHANGED, shut up and go write useless crap on other forum posts. Thank you.

I'm giving them my money. Some idiot may think I'm not giving them enough because I was on value, but that's not a reason. I think I have to right to know if they're doing changes to the service they offer.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I ALREADY DID THE SWITCH TO PREMIUM AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. SO DON'T COME HERE TO EXPLAIN ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VALUE AND PREMIUM, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER I'M LOOKING FOR. THANK YOU.
PatPatate

PatPatate to mau108

to mau108
Here's an example of what I'm looking for, let's compare it to cars.

I own SUV that can't tow a camping trailer.

If I ask "Why?"
The answer is NOT : You need the V6 engine.
This is the solution. It won't make me understand why I need a V6 engine.

It could be : Your engine is not strong enough to tow it. But it's not a complete answer.
It answer a part of my question, but I still don't understand what is the strenght of my V4 engine.

The answer is : Your V4 engine can't tow more than XXXX kg because its power is XXX HP, while the V6 engine can tow up to XXXX kg since its power is XXX HP.
Good answer! You win!

So, when you tell me that value is not made for that... I understand that part, but I already knew it too. It won't tell me why it worked and now it don't work.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by PatPatate:

It won't tell me why it worked and now it don't work.

Probably because they changed carriers, as VoIP providers do all the time.

What's wrong with you that you can't understand such a simple concept?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate
said by PatPatate:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I ALREADY DID THE SWITCH TO PREMIUM AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. SO DON'T COME HERE TO EXPLAIN ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VALUE AND PREMIUM, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER I'M LOOKING FOR. THANK YOU.

I think you're wanting to reply to me and not the original poster, whose thread you sort of highjacked in the first place. What is so hard to understand that multiple routes can be used for a single destination and when you select value routing they may use routes (providers) that do not support caller id? Is that really so difficult for you to comprehend?

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

changed carriers, as VoIP providers do all the time.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I don't work for VoIP company, I don't know how they do their business. If you tell me they often change carriers, that makes a lot of sense and it is probably what happened, but it was not said before.
said by PX Eliezer704:

What's wrong with you that you can't understand such a simple concept?

How am I supposed to understand it if I've never been told before? If I knew, I wouldn't have been asking questions.

Yes, I thought VoIP.ms could have changed its routes, but it is a possibility I made up in my mind without knowing if it was actually something that could happen, among many other possibilites that came up in my mind.

Anyway... now that I know this, I understand why I must use premium.

I just hate having to choose stuff because some person said it was the thing to do, without explaining.

samehere
@teksavvy.com

samehere to PatPatate

Anon

to PatPatate
same problem here....never happened before on the value route until recently....I do not want to pay extra for premium especially since this has been working fine before.

EvilWrong
Laval, QC

EvilWrong to PatPatate

to PatPatate
yes.. ok but seem to apen just when i call a videotron client ? and somebody know when Voip.ms going to add the option for different routing(value, PRemium) for all number i have ?
MZB
join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON

MZB to mau108

to mau108
At least 15142285030 is a normal number.

If you call the UK using the value route, you get a caller id like: 098223XXXXXXXXXX.

09 numbers are premium rate (like 1-900 numbers in US/Canada) . That may be enough to scare some people from answering the phone!

I guess that's how their value route provider makes their money.