spc
uniqs
meta
join:2004-12-27

1 recommendation

meta to Bink

to Bink

Re: Cisco 2811 or 2911 or something else for dual-WAN bgp

Given the requirements your organization is simply not large enough for global IP multihoming which require PI address space & a registered ASN, you would be much better off with 2 connections with diverse paths to edge routers in different POPs from the same provider. They will give you PA space you can advertise out both connections and use much in the same way without a registered ASN or PI allocation.

As far as the router goes, I would look at the ISR G2 attachment in this thread: »Re: Metro Ethernet: 2821 vs. 2921 router
It would indicate that the 2911 would be acceptable for your performance and feature requirements.

Adam
@rr.com

Adam

Anon

My vendor is saying 2811. Thanks for the advice.
Adam

Adam

Anon

If you all think that BGP isn't feasible, what's the best active-active solution?

In response to the VPN issue, we do have a long lasting VPN connection that we use heavily and I'd prefer to not have major outages based on failover (although an outage for a few minutes every few weeks is fine).
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to meta

MVM

to meta
said by meta:

Given the requirements your organization is simply not large enough for global IP multihoming which require PI address space & a registered ASN, you would be much better off with 2 connections with diverse paths to edge routers in different POPs from the same provider. They will give you PA space you can advertise out both connections and use much in the same way without a registered ASN or PI allocation.

With redundant Internet circuits of diverse path/POP to the same Internet provider, you still can do BGP with smaller subnet than /24. The /24 or larger subnet requirement is typically only for multiple Internet providers.
aryoba

1 edit

aryoba to Adam

MVM

to Adam
said by Adam :

If you all think that BGP isn't feasible, what's the best active-active solution?

What you could also consider is to partner up with data center/co-location solution company. You may want to have redundant circuits from your building to different data center building of the same solution company. The company then will take care of redundant Internet connection using BGP for you.

The advantage of using this kind of solution company is that you don't need to have your own subnet or your own AS when you need to run BGP with Internet provider. Typically this kind of solution company already has established redundant BGP infrastructure with various Internet provider where they have their own BGP AS, peer with major (Tier-1) Internet providers, have large subnet blocks for Internet connectivity, and have good relationship with LEC such as Verizon in your area to speed up any local loop build issue. The company provides this established infrastructure for all of their clients so that the clients don't need to build their own redundant Internet infrastructure or even worry about it.

In other words, yes you still have good active-active solution with BGP however you don't to build your own BGP Internet solution since the company provides it for you with typically lower price and specially less headache.

Further, this kind of company typically has expertise of consulting, managing, and high level of ISP/telco leverage should there any issue or concern with network connectivity. They may provide you with managed firewall/security in their cloud, quick resolve of any circuit issues, and be high-valued partner to your company so that you don't have deal with hurdles when it comes with ISP, circuit issue, or any network concern in general.

mikeeo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-12
Newark, DE

mikeeo to Adam

Premium Member

to Adam
said by Adam :

My vendor is saying 2811. Thanks for the advice.

I'd get a new vendor because the 2811 is EoS/EoL.

And if your internet presence requires BGP redundancy then it will be quite easy to get a /24.

Make sure you get a 3900 series if you want to take more than a default route from your providers...
adamn
join:2011-08-22
New York, NY

adamn

said by mikeeo:

I'd get a new vendor because the 2811 is EoS/EoL.

I agree. I've decided to go with XO who will supply 20Mb EoC and a T1 - they'll allow BGP with an ASN they'll give me.

The router will be Juniper SRX 220 or 240 (not sure yet) with an extra EX series switch.

If I decide to get fiber, that will replace the T1. Cable won't allow BGP so it's not an option.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The SRX240 is a nice router, and should work well for your needs.