spc
uniqs
CXMNYC
join:2011-08-30
New York, NY

CXMNYC to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Re: Making unions illegal would solve many problems

I am confident in my job performance. Compete on a level playing field? With a 100 million dollar market capitalization corporation. Hmmmm, law gives us the right to bargain collectively, we can get a much better deal collectively than we can as individuals. Why would I or anyone take less wages and benefits to do the same job? I don't understand all those rugged individualists who are willing to work for less and have their children covered by inferior medical plans just to avoid having to rely on a union for bargaining. Large corporations have armys of lawyers and accountants on their side, union helps an individual level the playing field with their much more powerful employer. My dues are money well spent. Some of my coworkers are terrible employees, some are great employees, most are good employees just like non union workers. I think non union employees would greatly benefit from collective bargaining. I wish more hard working Americans had excellent quality healthcare benefits and better pay. It would make the middle class and the nation stronger. I believe you are a hard working, conscientious, knowledgeable employee, I wish you had better wages and benefits. So long as the company you work for is profitable they should take good finacial care of their employees. Lord know my company would NOT pass on any savings they get from paying me less, just a larger profit margin.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

said by CXMNYC:

I am confident in my job performance. Compete on a level playing field?

I agree with you, but some people are just trolls and there is a lot of them in this forum lol.

Competition force is better than union collective bargaining but in this economy, with big corporations and biased laws favoring just corporation - we would stand no chance. And what stops from everybody hiring 9 year old in coal factory if there were no laws against it? Cheaper labor = more profit for company.

I also wanted to mention, there are some firms in the U.S that don't have union here in the U.S but they have in other countries (due to more strict labor laws).

Many people are also hypocrities. Take a look for example at Republicans who oppose every social benefit program, no matter how limited.

WHy their kids are so lucky to get private great school in High school, then get into more better prestigious top colleges at which they spend some time fraternizing and partying, not just studying. At the end they get good paying job at good firm through "connections" from their dads. Not too mention if they studied really well in college, they most likely got what they need to succeed in their job and move in ranks. Look, their parents worked hard or whatever to get they are, and kids got handed it out to them. Later those kids, the same people as adults vow against anything that might be handed to their less fortunate peers from taxes. Forgetting they got them from their rich parents who got tax breaks, that cost middle and lower class more money in taxes. Some of them struggle in life everyday, just trying to pay for living expenses.

Now compare this to everyday lower middle-class folks, who had to go to public school learning less, went to public community college and very likely transferred later to public university or went to private university on student loans and then just somewhere landed job with starting salary that covers only basic needs and "just fine" standard of living. And what they got from education is hit/miss whether it will be useful for their jobs.

Now worse, compare this to minorities (black) and type of schools they get into and what they get from those schools. Many of them dont' graduate, struggles to find jobs and to make money get involved in gangs and drugs that gets them in trouble with law and jail. We have the largest prison system in the U.S and this cost taxpayer's money a lot.

I tell you, this is inequality to resources is in purpose. Some people just want to have everything, disregarding the effects in has on their environment. Just like with factories and pollutions, except this time is human. We are going toward trend, what used to be in middle ages in Europe where most people lived in master's house and got paid for little. This all ended with black death, that wiped 3/4 population leaving less people and less labor force. This in turn increased average standard of living and created middle class in reinassance. Because then it left all employers to find scarce source for which they had to compete.

Notice we are going in the same trend in the U.S what was before outbreak. We got hit hard with economic recession in 2008 that forced to teach many people to go easier with borrowing and reckless spending. I expect that something else will come big in future to remind us. Its prophecy. There is cause and effect. They are always together.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to CXMNYC

to CXMNYC
said by CXMNYC:

I am confident in my job performance. Compete on a level playing field? With a 100 million dollar market capitalization corporation.

That statement right there just shows how crooked the unions are. You arent competing against your employer; what should be happening is that you are competing against all the other qualified people in your area for a given job. That way only the best, most qualified people are hired. Instead, when the union has the local labor market (for a specific field) locked down all you get complacency and 'bare minimum' performance. Cozy up to your local union rep and you have a safe, high paying job for life no matter how poor your actually performance. Funny how it's basically the same thing as being a "made" guy in the mob....
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

I have already competed with all the qualified people in my area for the job...guess what? I got the job!!! Now that I have beaten out all the other applicants the job is mine. Now when it comes to compensation(wages and benefits) I compete with my employer. Being more qualified then the other applicants(almost 60 people apply for every 1 hired) I expect a certain level of compensation from my employer. My employer would like to pay me minimum wage with no benefits. Collectively with the other most qualified candidates who where hired we bargain for considerably better than minimum wage and get decent benefits. Sorry but I "won" the competition with the other qualified people when my corporation hired me after extensive testing of my skills, interviews, medical evaluation and a drug screening.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

I have already competed with all the qualified people in my area for the job...guess what? I got the job!!! Now that I have beaten out all the other applicants the job is mine. Now when it comes to compensation(wages and benefits) I compete with my employer. Being more qualified then the other applicants(almost 60 people apply for every 1 hired) I expect a certain level of compensation from my employer. My employer would like to pay me minimum wage with no benefits. Collectively with the other most qualified candidates who where hired we bargain for considerably better than minimum wage and get decent benefits. Sorry but I "won" the competition with the other qualified people when my corporation hired me after extensive testing of my skills, interviews, medical evaluation and a drug screening.

Wrong. You got the job because (by law) your employer was required to hire you. Due to the fact that non union employees were exempt from the hiring process means you are not the most qualified person for the job. I dont doubt you were the most qualified person from the limited, union represented pool, however that is not an accurate sample of the total workforce.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

Until I was hired I wasn't in the union!! Seriously you have no clue what you are talking about. I joined the union after I got the job. So did everyone of the 35000 people I work with in this corporation and union.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

Until I was hired I wasn't in the union!!

Wow, what an amazing revelation. So you are telling me you werent born a fully fledged union member?

Obviously everyone in the union joined at some point. You took a job that required union membership, and thus you became one. What point are you trying to make?
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members. You seemed to believe that all other applicants couldn't have that job. The competion was open to all. Only after you "won" the job did union membersship become possible. Which puts your contention that somehow I was competing in a pool of only union workers for this job to rest, where it belongs.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members.

I am really mistaken? Did you have the option of keeping your current position and not joining the union? If so you are very unique, as most union dominated positions require membership as part of the job.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

I did not and do not have to belong to the union to get or keep my job. I would save about 75 percent on dues by not joining. The 25 percent that goes toward collective bargaining would have to be paid, as I would get the same contract as the union members get.