how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

veger

join:2011-09-06
reply to clarknova

Re: Everything MLPPP

HI!. thanks for link, so far it works fine with my Asus WL-520GU with Multi-link - Dual lines. With two 5 meg/750k up connects I am getting about on average Dn=9.0 mb Up=1.15. (no longer than usual to connect even when comparing it to a stable dd-wrt version).

Question: I do need more power though. What is the most powerful router that tomato/mlppp supports? I got a HOTSPOT with about 20 (and growing) users and some of them I know use utorrent and vuse.

Paul

veger

Ps, its me Webcan, somehow I got missed up on sites and must have created another account here BY accident. oppps.

Paul

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
·link2voip
reply to veger

The WL-520GU can handle 15-20 mbps of throughput, although you might run it out of RAM if you really hammer it with torrents.

Have a look at »fw5.net/. I believe the WNDR3700v2 was recently added to the supported list, and should handle 100 mbps or so of throughput.

If you really want to go all out you could install pfsense 2.0 on the x86 hardware of your choice. »pfsense.org I think Linux/MLPPP might still be a viable option if you're handy with a shell. »fixppp.org
--
db

veger

Re: Everything MLPPP -

HI! Thanks for info I will look it up. ps. Something screwed up since my last post concerning version 7. After a few hours the connections was down and I could no longer get into the routers admin area. I had to re-flash the router.

So I will load v7 again on another Asus WL-520GU but this time I will try to flash it directly without going through the upgrade process. (meaning I will not flash with 4 first then upgrade).

I will get to this here when I am done.

Paul

veger

reply to clarknova

Re: Everything MLPPP

HI! I check out the router recommendation you gave for the Netgear "WNDR3700v2" cpu=680 flash=16 ram=64, and on newegg I read a lot of dropped connections even from a few users that gave the router a good rating. So I check out the list at fw5.net and saw the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H cpu=680 flash flash=32 ram=128.

Although this router has fewer reviews, overall the cons are far less relevant (IMHO). most of the complaints about the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H was concerning "non-detachable antennas and difficult interface" non of which concerns me or anyone else whom wants to use another firmware and has no need for detachable antennas. The pros are obvious as its a more powerful router and its a dual band (comparable to the Asus RT-N16 with the exception that the Asus is not a dual band).

I plan to use it as a main gateway as all other Hotspot routers connect into it, thus the need for a faster CPU and ram.

PS.One of the reasons why I choose the Asus WL-520GU as a Hotspot router was because of its detachable antennas as I need it to connect to an external powered antenna on the top of an apartment building.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Paul

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to veger

Re: Everything MLPPP -

It is strongly recommended that you wipe the nvram of any device after installing Tomato/mlppp. I think this will take care of any lockup or other unpredictable behaviour.
--
db

veger

HI! Thanks for the info, ps, someone told me that Openwrt does Not support two lines at the moment or Not for the router "WZR-HP-AG300H" ( one of the two ).

I see it listed here "http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#buffalo" but I would prefer if someone could confirm it before ordering one.

Paul

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by veger:

HI! Thanks for the info, ps, someone told me that Openwrt does Not support two lines at the moment or Not for the router "WZR-HP-AG300H" ( one of the two ).
I see it listed here "http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#buffalo" but I would prefer if someone could confirm it before ordering one.

OpenWRT/MLPPP is a fork and it does work on TSI's MLPPP. I've personally tested it with single line setup before switching to cable and it should easily work on the multiple line setup. For it, you'd need TP Link TL-1043ND or Netgear WNDR3700 though. Those are the only 2 platforms it supports (other than x86, which seems to be a non-starter for you).
--
Never under estimate a Southern gentleman with a backhoe and a shotgun (credit: »blog.level3.com/2011/08/04/the-1···r-cuts//)