Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

VPS shopping any ideas?

I was looking into getting a VPS for cloud storage, and to potentially shelter myself from upcoming lawful access nonsense.

I was wondering what I should be looking for in a VPS provider?

I know I'd be looking at an overseas provider but I wanted to get some input as to what I should be looking feature and price wise.

I've heard of Linode, but insofar as I know they're American and I'm not interested in the US (as a location)

Any feedback is appreciated, it doesn't have to be super n00b oriented as I have a a fair bit of experience with Linux and some experience with V/Ms in general.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 recommendation

Best deal I could find when I was looking around was OVH and their Kimsufi brand. I currently have the basic VPS from kimsufi at 15 euros/month, 100mbit unlimited bandwith internet and Ubuntu linux... I sometimes do more than 4tb/month traffic on this thing, cheapest you can find for 15 euros/month!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron
1) Look for port speed - some only give you 10Mbps burstable to 100, others are 100Mbps flat.

2) RAM & CPU - some places give you a hard cap on RAM, others will burst RAM usage to 1.5-2.0x the base amount...though if you consistently get into the boosted range they will suggest the next package up ($$$). Some places will dedicate an entire core to a VPS instance, so you get consistent performance.

3) Decide what's more important to you - bandwidth or disk space - lots of VPS packages skim on one in favour of the other.

4) Biggest issue I find with hosting of any type is availability of direct communications with something other than a clueless Level-1 call-taker when there are problem needing resolution. A voice connection is worth paying for vs. e-mail/ticket system-only forms of communication.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron
I use a 1gbit silver package myself located at

»evoboxes.net/hosting.html

Great speeds great price and most of all great service and their are set up scripts to set up everything from Bitorrent clients to Openvpn.

Best off all They are located in Europe

KTIMatt

join:2011-08-08
Chilliwack, BC
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I've heard of Linode, but insofar as I know they're American and I'm not interested in the US (as a location)

You can get Linodes in London and Tokyo (Tokyo just announced a few days ago), if it's only the location that's important to you and not the fact that they're still managed by US company.

I couldn't be happier with my Linode, other than the power issues that seem to plague the Fremont DC.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron
Thanks for all the feedback so far... I'll post the setups I'm looking into as soon as I'm at a proper computer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron
Another ++ for Linode. I've been through a few different providers over the past 8 or 9 years I've been renting dedicated servers and VPS, and nobody has ever had a service quality anywhere near Linode.

Caneris sells VPS in Toronto, but anybody outside of the US or Canada is going to really suck latency-wise.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to El Quintron
Get one owned/operated by a non-US company.
Also check to see if the data centre is owned by a US-based company.

I hear that the data centres in the Maldive Islands are soon going to be water-cooled

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Another ++ for Linode. I've been through a few different providers over the past 8 or 9 years I've been renting dedicated servers and VPS, and nobody has ever had a service quality anywhere near Linode.

Caneris sells VPS in Toronto, but anybody outside of the US or Canada is going to really suck latency-wise.

I've heard some pretty good stuff about Linode, not being on US soil or American controlled is a requirement.

I'm specifically getting this as something that's untouchable by the US, it's my understanding that the Patriot act, and the Homeland Security act apply to everything that's hosted on US soil (Including BCE's Internet Access provider) so Linode, as good as it sounds won't do.

Latency isn't a huge factor either, I'll be using this for non-latency sensitive stuff.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Get one owned/operated by a non-US company.
Also check to see if the data centre is owned by a US-based company.

I hear that the data centres in the Maldive Islands are soon going to be water-cooled

I'm definitely looking for a non-US/non-Canadian owned VPS, I just don't have any idea what I'm going to be getting yet, probably some type of virtual Ubuntu or Debian box with an OpenVPN or SSL/SSH connection back to another Linux box at home.

Europe sounds pretty good, I'm also interested in finding out what features are good, essential and not worth getting.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron
Quick question for those in the know, is OVH owned/operated out of France?

missieneri

@NET.PH
If I'm not mistaken, OVH is operated in uk but more popular in france.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
said by missieneri :

If I'm not mistaken, OVH is operated in uk but more popular in france.

Awesome good to know.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron
Not to bump the topic excessively but does anyone know of, or had experience with VPSes in either the Netherlands or Sweden?

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to missieneri
OVH has offices in many areas now, for example for people in Canada (and the US I think) you have to order from the Ireland office (ovh.ie)

But all servers are located in French Data centers (Roubaix France I think is the main location for servers)

On a side note I have not had a problem with OVH, They use decent hardware, have hard to beat prices. BUT that being said if you do require support it can be bad and slow.

Luckily you almost never need to support, you can boot the server into rescue mode which offers webased and ssh based support tools that you can use and you can also reinstall the OS and things like that from the website.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by luma:

Luckily you almost never need to support, you can boot the server into rescue mode which offers webased and ssh based support tools that you can use and you can also reinstall the OS and things like that from the website.

Thanks for the heads up, that's good to know.

I like the pricing that's for sure.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to luma
Are you with Kimsufi or the OVH brand?

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
I have a server with ovh.ie (EG-2011) but the Kimsufi line is pretty solid from what I can read, pretty much the same as ovh just desktop based hardware with lower bandwidth but its the same tools and same network from what I know.

They are not perfect I mean for this price something has to give but for the most part I have no complaints.

They do ding you when you need extra things though like extra IP addresses (you first need to buy the pro pack at 15 euro a month before you can add ip's on)