uniqs
share rss forum feed

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to jaykaykay

Re: What's with your mailserver, IP 69.17.117.49

This all makes me very glad I've never used Speakeasy email. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I logged in to webmail to clean out the spam.

Edit: Well, this is interesting.... I just tried to login and it says I'm entering an incorrect username or password. Both are correct so clearly something has happened at SE/Megapath that fubar'd the account. Hmmmmm....

Further edit: Called customer service (was on hold for about 15 minutes). They had changed my password, without telling me, because someone was apparently using the account for spam. The rep was nice enough, but this wasn't a complicated problem.

tbrisco

join:2002-12-20
New York, NY
said by bhan261:

Further edit: Called customer service (was on hold for about 15 minutes). They had changed my password, without telling me, because someone was apparently using the account for spam. The rep was nice enough, but this wasn't a complicated problem.

Maybe this explains why the IP address wound up on RBL/XBL lists? I don't tend to have any problems originating SMTP from my home server -- but once an IP address is on one of the BLs, it can be tough to get it off again.

Service level has gone down. Once they cut my area over to Covad links (my traceroutes changed), I now get 1/2 of the bandwidth I used to. Tech support was pretty much "well, your line shows clean". It looks as though the Covad peering is seriously hurting -- I'm ok on the local loop -- but some of the handoff points have +/- 35ms variance.

Looking closely at Verizon's FIOS service now.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bhan261
said by bhan261:

This has become a common problem. Theft of accounts, whether the password is too easy to guess, or falls to dictionary attacks, or "phish" attacks. With most major U.S. ISPs blocking outbound port 25, having access to a valid email account is important to spammers. And, given their mindset, they'd rather steal accounts than constantly pay for them, only to have them shut down for spamming.

I have received spam apparently sent via compromised email accounts, both through the official AT&T and Comcast customer message submission servers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum