Search similar:

uniqs

cugino
join:2000-11-27
Brooklyn, NY

cugino

DSL Modem + Windows XP = Slow Boot Time

Hey everyone,

I have this rather annoying problem with Windows XP that perhaps someone (anyone) can help me with.

Whenever I boot, or reboot my PC with my DSL modem turned on, my boot times are intolerably slow. I have disabled MS Client, and even uninstalled QoS entirely but to no avail. The system tray will just hang for 20-30 seconds before fully loading.

I have already tried to remedy this with BootVis & Sfc.exe, but that did nothing to help either.

However, when I boot my system with my DSL modem turned off (it's a Westell "white" modem), my boot times are lightening quick.

Is there any way I can leave my DSL modem turned on without suffering terrible boot lags?

I am using Verizon DSL w/ the native PPPoE stack. Perhaps if I switched to Raspppoe this problem might go away?

BTW, you don't think it was a bad idea to uninstall QoS, do you? I wasn't really sure what that was when I uninstalled it, but its absence doesn't seem to be affecting my DSL connection or speed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Carrick

join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

Bob Carrick

1) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
3) Click on "Network Connections"
4) Right click on the icon for your Ethernet card connected to your DSL modem _> Choose "Properties"
5) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Properties"
6) In the "General" tab check off "Use the following IP address"
7) Enter an internal IP address 192.168.xxx.xxx (replace the x's with a number of your choice)
8) Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
9) Click "OK"
10) Click "OK"

cugino
join:2000-11-27
Brooklyn, NY

cugino

Bob...Thanks!

Thanks Bob! Your solution worked like the proverbial charm.
kd5loe
join:2002-01-13
Houston, TX

kd5loe to cugino

to cugino

Re: DSL Modem + Windows XP = Slow Boot Time

Bob, I have the same issue with XP Pro and I got this error message, "This combo of IP address and subnet mask is invalid, all of the bits in the host address portion of the IP address are set to 1. Please enter a valid combination."

Any thoughts on what this means?
thanks
Dave

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to cugino

to cugino
Use 192.168.0.15 I can only assume you where using a number higher then a valid IP range sorta my own fault I should change those instructions and put in the minimum and maximum range.

sillydreamer
join:2001-12-04
Keene, NH

sillydreamer to cugino

to cugino
Hi Bob,

I suffer from the same problem - can I make those changes if I connect thru a router?

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to cugino

to cugino
No with a router you should not suffer the same problem (or at least the same cause) as your router is a DHCP server and this problem is windows looking for a DHCP server. I would double check to make sure idle disconnect is set to 0 in your router, and connect on demand is on.

sillydreamer
join:2001-12-04
Keene, NH

sillydreamer to cugino

to cugino
I'll double check that tonight when I get home. Thanks for the info
tchicke
join:2001-04-01
Arroyo Grande, CA

tchicke to Bob Carrick

to Bob Carrick
Bob,
Where do you enter the subnet mask. My XP does not show it. Have the same slow boot time with dsl hookup. All else is great!

Thanks

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to cugino

to cugino
Properties for your Ethernet card under the LAN heading not the connection under your Broadband connection, don't worry this mistake gets made all the time.