TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to itguy05

Re: Dyson: upright vs canister?

I do agree that Dyson has a powerful PR machine behind it and I'm sure a lot of the 5 star reviews are buyers suffering from the placebo effect -- the hive mind attitude.

There are arguments to be made for bagless models because it is true that filled bags will reduce suction and cost of bags add up over time, but as I have mentioned, I've read VERY little criticism on Miele vacuums, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive while Dyson's are highly polarized depending of model.

The Dysons do look cooler and more modern, but int he end, it's all about the performance. Thanks for your input!

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by TigerLord:

I do agree that Dyson has a powerful PR machine behind it and I'm sure a lot of the 5 star reviews are buyers suffering from the placebo effect -- the hive mind attitude.

That's kind of where we were at with Dyson. Most vac reviews have that - you buy a new one because you think your old one isn't working well. Vacuums are such simple machines it's probably lack of maintenance or clogged up hoses that are the real issue. So any brand new machine is going to be better than an old one. A car with 100k miles will feel worse than one new right off the lot.

And Dyson does have great PR - make up a problem ("Loss of suction") and target those that have a great need - animal people with a machine "just for them".

quote:
There are arguments to be made for bagless models because it is true that filled bags will reduce suction and cost of bags add up over time, but as I have mentioned, I've read VERY little criticism on Miele vacuums, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive while Dyson's are highly polarized depending of model.
Our Kenmore has a light that tells you when to change the bag. We have a dog and a cat and carpet throughout the house. I think I change the bag about 2x a year usually when the smell is bad or the light comes on. Have not really noticed that much loss of suction. It will still get the dog hair on the linoleum in the kitchen very well when the light is on.

The thing for me is less dust when I empty the bag. With the bagless (Hoover Savvy) I'd go outside the house, dump the cup into the trash can and a cloud would appear. Tap it and it's filter and another cloud. All the crap you were trying to get rid of. Then after a while the whole thing would stink so I'd take it to the basement and soak things in the slop sink. Some bagless models also have filters to clean and change

With the bag I toss it in the trash when I am done and there is no dust cloud, no cleaning other parts, no nothing. Sure I have to remember to hit Sears up for bags once or twice a year but I'm at the mall that often so it's OK by me.

quote:
The Dysons do look cooler and more modern, but int he end, it's all about the performance. Thanks for your input!

True - but the Mieles have that Germanic Industrial Design thing going on too.

Reality

@videotron.ca
Have to agree with itguy05 guy above. Had my Kenmore for about 12 years now. Only thing I had to change was a belt on the powered vacuum head last year. Think I paid 300 or 350$ for it back then and it was a high amperage model.

I would really have to be in love with vacuuming to spend about 800$ on a vacuum. Not going to happen.

My wife had one of those canister bagless types. It's exactly like what itguy05 mentioned above when emptying it. We both hated emptying it. We tossed hers. I would only use a bag model.

With Kenmore, the sears guarantee's are straight up. For repair, every corner repair shop has the parts stocked since I do believe Kenmore and Electrolux are about the same, Or likely just rebranded.

Really, I can't see myself putting down 800 on those over-hyped things.

When you think about it, a cleaning lady will charge you 50$ for 3-hrs or so of house work. Save your money, buy a 350$-Kenmore and get a cleaning lady in your place one a week or every two weeks with the money saved. It will go further for you.